Hdrgen, defining viewing angle when generating HDRs

Hi all,
I use the following line of code to create an HDR from a series of LDRs taken by a DSLR camera with a fish-eye lens.

hdrgen IMG_*.JPG -r response_function.rsp -o test.hdr
in the header of the output HDR file I get the following information about the view angles:

VIEW= -vtv -vh 132.699707 -vv 113.398345

This is actually not true, and the viewing angle for this lens and camera is around 184.5 according to the measurements.
This apparently causes problems when using Evalglare:

header contains a perspective view type definition !!!
stopping…!!!

My questions are:

1. What could be the source of these assumptions about the viewing angles?
  2. Is there any way to define the measured view angles to prevent this while generating HDR?

Nima

The view angles computed by hdrgen are based on a perspective camera model. Fisheye lenses do not obey this default (-vtv) model, so that is why the angles are inaccurate.

You can replace the view string with corrected parameters using the latest (HEAD) release of Radiance and the new getinfo -r option, like so:

getinfo -r "VIEW= -vta -vh 180 -vv 180" < test.hdr > corrected.hdr

However, this will not be quite right, since your image is non-square. If you know the exact dimensions of the circular area in the image, you can use the new rcrop tool (see post) in combination with getinfo like so:

rcrop 20 210 900 900 test.hdr | getinfo -r "VIEW= -vta -vh 180 -vv 180" > corrected.hdr

I’m making up the first 4 numbers, since I don’t know what row in the image marks the top of the circle (20) or what column marks the left of it (210). The third and fourth #rows and #columns should be the same for a square result, but I don’t know the size of yours.

Note that the rcrop tool and the getinfo -r option are both recent additions based on requests for the care and feeding of evalglare.

Cheers,
-Greg

1 Like

Thanks, Greg,

It worked perfectly,

Kind regards,
Nima

1 Like

just make sure you use the 184.5° for both -vv and -vh , except you cut away the 2.25° on right, left,top and bottom each. I find it easier to keep the 184.5° in the header, evalglare is calculating all angles according to the header and considers only the 180° for any evaluation.
In case the only use of the image is evalglare, you can provide also the viewing angles to it without changing header (evalglare -vv 184.5 -vh 184.5 -vta … ). However, having the right header in the image is always the better solution, especially in terms of documentation and later re-use of the image.
cheers
Jan

1 Like

Helpful comment Jan, Thanks.
The view angle of our camera itself is 184.5° according to our measurements. Would you still suggest putting 184.5 for evalglare calculations?

Best,
Nima

well, if you have a 5.20m long room, do you model it with 5m? I dont understand your question - the header of the image describes the optics of your lens and if you have 184.5° why putting then 180° ? If you do so, all calculations are slightly deviating.
Jan

1 Like

There was a small misunderstanding on my side when reading your first comment, it is all clear now.

Thanks,
Nima

Actually, I misread your first post, so it was all my fault!

-G