What's the default value of -ab option of rtrace

Hi everyone,

I read manual pages for rtrace, for the "-ab ", it show as follows:
"
This value defaults to 1 in photon mapping mode (see -ap below), implying that global photon irradiance is always computed via one ambient bounce; this behaviour applies to any positive number of ambient bounces, regardless of the actual value specified.
"

Based on my understanding, this means that in mapping mode the default value of “-ab” is 1. But for the command I use as follows, what is the default value of “-ab”?

cat pixels.pts | rtrace -h -I -ov scene1.oct | rcalc -e '$1=$1*179'

Thanks in advance for your time and help. I appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Hao

rcalc doesn’t have a -ab option. For the default settings of rtrace, run rtrace -defaults. See Section 4.1 in the Radiance Tutorial.

1 Like

Hi Axel,

Thank you so much for your help. You are right, it is my fault. The question should be the default value of -ab for rtrace. I have revised the title of this topic.

Besides, I have another question. If the setting of -ab is 0, it will not consider the ambient bounces. Based on my knowledge of Radiance, this means that it will not consider the reflectance. Am I getting right?

Thanks again for your time and efforts.

Cheers,

Hao

We generally don’t mark topics as “solved” as this quells further discussion. You can just “like” responses you find helpful.

With -ab 0 and -I+ options, only the direct light arriving at a point is considered, so you are correct in your surmise.

Best,
-Greg

1 Like

Hi Greg,

Thank you so much for reminding me about the rules of the forum. Also, your reply is constructive which helps me a lot to understand the Radiance.

Warm regards,

Hao