vi: fatal - missing octree argument

Hi,

I recently installed Radiance 3.5 on my Powerbook G4 running Mac OS X. I think the install may have broken Vim 6.2. When I type "vi" or "vim" I get this error message:

writing: which vi

/usr/bin/vi

writing: /usr/bin/vi --version

/usr/bin/vi : fatal - command line error at ' -- version'

writing: "vi foo"

vi - system - cannot open octree file 'foo": no such file or diretory

I've checked:

/usr/share/vim/vimrc
/usr/share/vim/vim62/syntax/viminfo.vim
/usr/bin/vi

Radiance works fine, I can render scenes, but I can't use vi. I spoke to the creator of vim, he thinks Radiance has installed a program that has replaced vi. Can anyone suggest a change I can make to fix this problem? Is this a problem anyone has seen or heard before?
Thanks in advance,

- Leslie

Hi Leslie,

The last official release of Radiance installs the interactive viewer, "rview," which is named the same as a symbolic link to "vim". If you chose as your executable directory /usr/bin, where vim lives, you may have overwritten the original vim executable by mistake. This is why it's a good idea to use /usr/local/bin or some special directory for Radiance executables. (The default is "/usr/local/bin" in the makeall installation script.)

In the HEAD version and the next release, we have renamed "rview" to "rvu" to avoid this conflict in the future.

You will need to retrieve the "vim" executable from backup to get it back -- sorry!

-Greg

ยทยทยท

Date: May 31, 2004 9:36:43 AM PDT

Hi,

I recently installed Radiance 3.5 on my Powerbook G4 running Mac OS X. I think the install may have broken Vim 6.2. When I type "vi" or "vim" I get this error message:

writing: which vi

/usr/bin/vi

writing: /usr/bin/vi --version

/usr/bin/vi : fatal - command line error at ' -- version'

writing: "vi foo"

vi - system - cannot open octree file 'foo": no such file or diretory

I've checked:

/usr/share/vim/vimrc
/usr/share/vim/vim62/syntax/viminfo.vim
/usr/bin/vi

Radiance works fine, I can render scenes, but I can't use vi. I spoke to the creator of vim, he thinks Radiance has installed a program that has replaced vi. Can anyone suggest a change I can make to fix this problem? Is this a problem anyone has seen or heard before?
Thanks in advance,

- Leslie