UV mapping in Radiance scene

Hello everyone, good day. I am working with RADIANCE scenes that have frames and would need to embed images (*.jpg) into them. Is there any tutorial and simplified method that you can recommend? Sorry, I don’t have much experience in this field. I know there is an interface like VI-Suite but I would like to solve it in command line. I have identified the surfaces in space, and their dimension and position in the scene. Thanks a lot.

Well, it’s quite outdated at this point, but good examples of placing pictures are in the 1991 Radiance tutorial by Cindy Larson, written before the first workshop in Berkeley, which is linked to the old Radsite here. There is a lot of information in there, but starting on page 58 is an example or two of putting art on the walls, which you may find useful.

More extensive examples may be found in Rob Shakespeare’s “Scene 2 Tutorial,” which comprises chapter 3 of “Rendering with Radiance.” If you don’t have a copy, and you are OK with a soft copy, you can pay a nominal fee to download a PDF of the book from this website.

Cheers,
-Greg

1 Like

Be advised, mapping an LDR source image to a Radiance scene isn’t just about coordinates… Since Radiance is physically based, you also “get to” consider the surface characteristics, and, in the case of a display, the luminance values, of the pixels in that image. I believe most of the tutorials Greg refers to include this necessary bit(s), but you could also search the archives for threads about simulating VDTs/displays/projection screens too. The really cool thing about Radiance is that you get out what you put into it and in this case, you can capture the real-world visibility of an “image in a frame”, including the surface characteristics of the image medium (and luminance, in the case of displays) as well as the surrounding lighting.

2 Likes