Using specific .cal file for sky.rad

Hi,

I would like to use a specific file for sky definiton. However the sky.rad file does not take into account the .cal file I am trying to use. It always uses the default skybright.cal file.

Here is my definition (trial_sky.cal file that I have generated with gencumulativesky.exe is not taken into account):

Sky Definition

void brightfunc skyfunc
2 skybr trial_sky.cal
skyfunc glow sky_glow
4 1 1 1 0
sky_glow source sky
4 0 0 1 180

It’s not clear what your issue is. Are you saying that the quoted sky definition is still somehow calling “skybright.cal”, or do you have two sky definitions, one calling “trial_sky.cal” and the other calling “skybright.cal”? Is the issue with what you have put in “trial_sky.cal”, which you have not shared? What commands are you using, and what is the output versus the expected output?

You need to give us more to work with.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The problem was with the syntax. As you said “the quoted sky definition was still somehow calling “skybright.cal”.

I have changed the corresponding line like below:

4 skybr “.\trial_sky.cal”

The “trial_sky.cal” is in a different folder than the sky.rad (one folder up - main folder). Now it is working. Btw, there was also a problem with running rtrace with multiple CPUs. I have removed ambient file generation part in the syntax to avoid bad ambient file error. In brief, I have managed to make it work. Thank you again.

I don’t think ambient file synchronization works under Windows. That is a Unix-only feature, as are many of Radiance’s multi-processing methods.

Glad you were able to sort it out!
-Greg

1 Like

Thank you. I have another question, too:) I am trying to create CIE sky definitions in a sky.rad file by referencing skybright.cal like below:

void brightfunc skyfunc
2 skybr skybright.cal
7 xxxxxxxxx

Gendaymtx or Gencumulativesky are both using weather files. It may be ridiculous but I am really wondering if it is possible to create cumulative clear, cloudy or uniform sky for a location to run an annual analysis without weather file? As I suppose, the last option is gensky which helps to create a sky definition for point in time analysis. But it is not suitable for an annual radiation analysis.

Well, it’s a bit of a pain, but you could always run gensky many times, send the output into genskyvec, then average together the vector output values. You would probably need to write a short program or script to do that, though.

1 Like

I think that means running gensky for 8760 hours to achieve annual sky model. As you suggest, I may try to write a script to run gensky for every hour in a year. I have never user genskyvec but will take a look at it.

Btw, do you think this is a good practice? I mean running annual radiation analysis without weather file. Thank you again.

Edit: I will try the syntax below for every hour and than merge sky.dat files in a single file. Last I will try to take the average from the combined file to run it with rtrace.

gensky 9 21 12 +s -a 41 -0 -29 -m -30 | genskyvec -m 2 > sky09_21_12.dat

Nope. Because, without normalising the sun and sky to plausible values at each time-step (i.e. weather file data), you’ve no assurance that the gensky output has validity for whatever location you happen to be using.

Some years ago, un-normalised single-sky conditions featured in LEED and ASHRAE guidance. This was not a good idea for the reasons discussed here.

Cheers
John

Daylight Experts Ltd.
Expert Witness | Simulation | Measurement | Conservation

Associate Editor Lighting Research & Technology

2 Likes

Thank you for the comprehensive information.