user_profile documentation

Hi all,

I found "user_profile" keyword on page 30 of this really helpful
presentation from 2012 by Alstan and Christoph:

which is followed by some more description:
active 100 1 3

I couldn't find any documentation on Daysim website about user_profile
information. Does anyone know where can I find the related documentation?

Thanks,
Mostapha

Hi Mostapha ,

That keyword indicates the number of user types in the space. For example an user profile named 'active' comes after it, 'active 100 1 3.' If you wanted to simultaneously simulate a passive user as well, you would set the user_profile to 2. Its been a long time since I worked with this keyword, but from memory I think if you have 2 user profiles, it will produce separate active and passive daylight autonomy (plus other metrics) and interior gains schedule files.

Best,
Alstan

···

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:29:21 -0500, Mostapha Sadeghipour <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi all,

I found "user_profile" keyword on page 30 of this really helpful presentation from 2012 by Alstan and Christoph:
http://www.radiance-online.org/community/workshops/2012-copenhagen/Day1/Jakubiec/jakubiec,reinhart_radiance-workshop->presentation_daysim.pdf

active 100 1 3

I couldn't find any documentation on Daysim website about user_profile information. Does anyone know where can I find the related documentation?

Thanks,
Mostapha

Hi Alstan,

Thank you so much for the explanation. It made it all clear. I was thinking
"active" is a keyword and mistakenly was looking for it in the source code.
I checked the code for user_profile and now it all makes sense.

Best,
Mostapha

PS: For anyone who may have the same question, here is the syntax:

user_profile <Int numberOfUserProfiles>
<String user_profile_name> <Float user_type_frequency> <Int

···

<Int userBlindControl>

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM, J. Alstan Jakubiec <[email protected]>wrote:

Hi Mostapha ,

That keyword indicates the number of user types in the space. For example
an user profile named 'active' comes after it, 'active 100 1 3.' If you
wanted to simultaneously simulate a passive user as well, you would set the
user_profile to 2. Its been a long time since I worked with this keyword,
but from memory I think if you have 2 user profiles, it will produce
separate active and passive daylight autonomy (plus other metrics) and
interior gains schedule files.

Best,
Alstan

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:29:21 -0500, Mostapha Sadeghipour < > [email protected]> wrote:

Hi all,

http://www.radiance-online.org/community/workshops/2012-copenhagen/Day1/Jakubiec/jakubiec,reinhart_radiance-workshop-presentation_daysim.pdf

active 100 1 3

Thanks,
Mostapha

Dear Mostapha,

It is shocking (in a good way) to read that this old code makes sense to you :). Apart from generating two *da results at the same time when you mix an active and a passive user as the same time, I originally wrote that code because I had proposed (in the 2004 Solar Energy Lightswitch paper) that building occupants should be considered an equal mix of active and passive users. With that assumption the electric lighting energy use reported is a mean of an active and a passive user:

user_profile 2
string_user_description 50 1 1 <-- a user who uses electric lighting and blind controls in an active fashion
string_user_description 50 2 2 <-- a user who uses electric lighting and blind controls in a passive fashion

I do not think that anybody ever used the passive concept. The results may be too depressing even though I still think that considering what would happen in a building if occupants used their controls in a passive way (electric lighting always on and shading always down) has some merit. In the past few years we have mainly been using the active user as the default for the manual reference case against which automated systems should be compared. We are then using

user_profile 1
active 100 1 3

<-- this describe one type of user (100%) who uses electric lighting (1) and blinds (3) actively. The 3 instead of the 1 for the blind control indicates that if annual daylight glare probability profiles are available they are used for the simulation instead of the direct sunlight (*.dir) profile. This user is the default user which is why the user_profile keyword can be omitted if you go with it.

Let me know whether this makes any sense. If it does I will add it to the Daysim site. If not, I will clarify.

Warm regards,

Christoph

···

Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 11:03 PM
To: DAYSIM discussion
Subject: Re: [Radiance-daysim] user_profile documentation

Hi Alstan,

Thank you so much for the explanation. It made it all clear. I was thinking "active" is a keyword and mistakenly was looking for it in the source code. I checked the code for user_profile and now it all makes sense.

Best,
Mostapha

<String user_profile_name> <Float user_type_frequency> <Int userLightControl> <Int userBlindControl>

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM, J. Alstan Jakubiec <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Hi Mostapha ,

That keyword indicates the number of user types in the space. For example an user profile named 'active' comes after it, 'active 100 1 3.' If you wanted to simultaneously simulate a passive user as well, you would set the user_profile to 2. Its been a long time since I worked with this keyword, but from memory I think if you have 2 user profiles, it will produce separate active and passive daylight autonomy (plus other metrics) and interior gains schedule files.

Best,
Alstan

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:29:21 -0500, Mostapha Sadeghipour <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Hi all,
I found "user_profile" keyword on page 30 of this really helpful presentation from 2012 by Alstan and Christoph:
http://www.radiance-online.org/community/workshops/2012-copenhagen/Day1/Jakubiec/jakubiec,reinhart_radiance-workshop-presentation_daysim.pdf
active 100 1 3
I couldn't find any documentation on Daysim website about user_profile information. Does anyone know where can I find the related documentation?

Thanks,
Mostapha

Dear Christoph,

Great explanation! It is so clear and makes all the sense to me. Would be
great to have it on the Daysim website. Thank you so much for your help.

Best,
Mostapha

···

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:21 PM, Christoph Reinhart <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Mostapha,

It is shocking (in a good way) to read that this old code makes sense to
you J. Apart from generating two *da results at the same time when you
mix an active and a passive user as the same time, I originally wrote that
code because I had proposed (in the 2004 Solar Energy Lightswitch paper)
that building occupants should be considered an equal mix of active and
passive users. With that assumption the electric lighting energy use
reported is a mean of an active and a passive user:

user_profile 2

string_user_description 50 1 1 ß a user who uses electric
lighting and blind controls in an active fashion

string_user_description 50 2 2 ß a user who uses electric
lighting and blind controls in a passive fashion

I do not think that anybody ever used the passive concept. The results may
be too depressing even though I still think that considering what would
happen in a building if occupants used their controls in a passive way
(electric lighting always on and shading always down) has some merit. In
the past few years we have mainly been using the active user as the default
for the manual reference case against which automated systems should be
compared. We are then using

user_profile 1

active 100 1 3

ß this describe one type of user (100%) who uses electric lighting (1)
and blinds (3) actively. The 3 instead of the 1 for the blind control
indicates that if annual daylight glare probability profiles are available
they are used for the simulation instead of the direct sunlight (*.dir)
profile. This user is the default user which is why the user_profile
keyword can be omitted if you go with it.

Let me know whether this makes any sense. If it does I will add it to the
Daysim site. If not, I will clarify.

Warm regards,

Christoph

*Sent:* Monday, January 13, 2014 11:03 PM
*To:* DAYSIM discussion
*Subject:* Re: [Radiance-daysim] user_profile documentation

Hi Alstan,

Thank you so much for the explanation. It made it all clear. I was
thinking "active" is a keyword and mistakenly was looking for it in the
source code. I checked the code for user_profile and now it all makes sense.

Best,

Mostapha

<String user_profile_name> <Float user_type_frequency> <Int
> <Int userBlindControl>

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM, J. Alstan Jakubiec <[email protected]> > wrote:

Hi Mostapha ,

That keyword indicates the number of user types in the space. For example
an user profile named 'active' comes after it, 'active 100 1 3.' If you
wanted to simultaneously simulate a passive user as well, you would set the
user_profile to 2. Its been a long time since I worked with this keyword,
but from memory I think if you have 2 user profiles, it will produce
separate active and passive daylight autonomy (plus other metrics) and
interior gains schedule files.

Best,

Alstan

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:29:21 -0500, Mostapha Sadeghipour < > [email protected]> wrote:

Hi all,

active 100 1 3

Thanks,
Mostapha

Added: http://daysim.ning.com/page/daysim-header-file-keyword-user-profile

···

Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 11:47 PM

Dear Christoph,

Great explanation! It is so clear and makes all the sense to me. Would be great to have it on the Daysim website. Thank you so much for your help.

Best,
Mostapha

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:21 PM, Christoph Reinhart <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Dear Mostapha,

It is shocking (in a good way) to read that this old code makes sense to you :). Apart from generating two *da results at the same time when you mix an active and a passive user as the same time, I originally wrote that code because I had proposed (in the 2004 Solar Energy Lightswitch paper) that building occupants should be considered an equal mix of active and passive users. With that assumption the electric lighting energy use reported is a mean of an active and a passive user:

user_profile 2
string_user_description 50 1 1 <-- a user who uses electric lighting and blind controls in an active fashion
string_user_description 50 2 2 <-- a user who uses electric lighting and blind controls in a passive fashion

I do not think that anybody ever used the passive concept. The results may be too depressing even though I still think that considering what would happen in a building if occupants used their controls in a passive way (electric lighting always on and shading always down) has some merit. In the past few years we have mainly been using the active user as the default for the manual reference case against which automated systems should be compared. We are then using

user_profile 1
active 100 1 3

<-- this describe one type of user (100%) who uses electric lighting (1) and blinds (3) actively. The 3 instead of the 1 for the blind control indicates that if annual daylight glare probability profiles are available they are used for the simulation instead of the direct sunlight (*.dir) profile. This user is the default user which is why the user_profile keyword can be omitted if you go with it.

Let me know whether this makes any sense. If it does I will add it to the Daysim site. If not, I will clarify.

Warm regards,

Christoph

From: Mostapha Sadeghipour [mailto:[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 11:03 PM

Hi Alstan,

Thank you so much for the explanation. It made it all clear. I was thinking "active" is a keyword and mistakenly was looking for it in the source code. I checked the code for user_profile and now it all makes sense.

Best,
Mostapha

<String user_profile_name> <Float user_type_frequency> <Int userLightControl> <Int userBlindControl>

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM, J. Alstan Jakubiec <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Hi Mostapha ,

Best,
Alstan

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:29:21 -0500, Mostapha Sadeghipour <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Hi all,
active 100 1 3

Thanks,
Mostapha