Three Phase Simulation rfluxmtx switches for view mtx

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with the rfluxmtx switches when creating a View Matrix.

First of all as I am new to this I am following three different sources to compare the commands and outcomes.
The three documents I am following are:

* Andy McNeil’s Radiance Three Phase Method Tutorial published on GitBook.
  * Andy McNeils BSDFs, Matrices and Phases - Presentation slides on Sept 1, 2014 and
  * Sarith Subramaniam’s Daylighting Simulations with Radiance using Matrix-Based Methods.

The switches used in the above sources vary between the examples and also Sarith’s method uses an octree. As I still do not have a strong grasp of radiance and the switches yet which one would be best to follow? What’s the difference? I am currently testing them all out.

When I use the example lines from the documents above to create a vmtx, I have a recurring issue with -vf. The bash will say “rfluxmtx: cannot load -vf”. I posted earlier this month about something similar and all I had to do is retype the switch as it copied in a dash not a hyphen. I thought this issue might be the same case however “rfluxmtx: cannot load -vf” still appears. If I delete -vf file.vf I will get another error saying “rfluxmtx: cannot load -x” and this continues with all the other switches.

When I use Sarith’s view matrix example I get the same thing but for -ab: “rfluxmtx: cannot load -ab”.

After trying all the different examples from the different sources a view matrix file was generated but nothing was created inside. I also tried the older method using rcontrib which generated a view file but only had rows and columns full of zeros. (In regards to using rcontrib, I am also using rvu to generate a rendered view matrix and believe I am using a newer version of radiance affecting the ability to use rvu).

I am following the examples from the three sources but using my own rad files and mat files. Does anyone have any idea of what I am doing wrong? Is it likely to be how radiance is set up on my computer?

Any insight would be much appreciated,

Many thanks,
Sandi Sirikhanchai

Hi Sandi,
Are you entering the tutorial commands into a script and running it, copying and pasting them onto the command line, or typing them by hand onto the command line? I'm asking to help rule out any issues with character recognition by the terminal interface from various text formats. Also are you operating on Windows, Mac, or other? And is there anything notable about your system setup - or just a standalone computer with physical keyboard and no remote or virtual interfaces?

If you were copying and pasting anything, can you try typing the commands by hand into the terminal in case any whitespace or newline characters weren't being copied correctly? Does that make any difference?

It doesn't sound like the radiance installation, because it looks like the executables are being recognized through the terminal. Just in case anyone else thinks of something though, what installation package did you use to install Radiance?

-Chris

When I use the example lines from the documents above to create a vmtx, I have a recurring issue with -vf. The bash will say "rfluxmtx: cannot load -vf". I posted earlier this month about something similar and all I had to do is retype the switch as it copied in a dash not a hyphen. I thought this issue might be the same case however "rfluxmtx: cannot load -vf" still appears. If I delete -vf file.vf I will get another error saying "rfluxmtx: cannot load -x" and this continues with all the other switches.

When I use Sarith's view matrix example I get the same thing but for -ab: "rfluxmtx: cannot load -ab".

···

Hi Sandi,

Any message like "rfluxmtx: cannot load '-option'" is due to an error in argument processing, which is probably due to using an m-dash instead of a hyphen ('-') for the preceding option.

Radiance commands, as is true of most Unix tools, only understand the basic ASCII character set, not the extended characters supported on modern systems. Cutting and pasting from a document is therefore hazardous, as you can pick up these extended characters, which the command-line tools won't know what to do with.

I do recommend retyping the commands from the tutorial to avoid this problem, also as a better way to get comfortable with them. It might also be worth picking up a reference book about the Unix environment to help you get started.

Best,
-Greg

···

Date: December 15, 2017 6:29:51 AM PST

Hi Sandi,
Are you entering the tutorial commands into a script and running it, copying and pasting them onto the command line, or typing them by hand onto the command line? I’m asking to help rule out any issues with character recognition by the terminal interface from various text formats. Also are you operating on Windows, Mac, or other? And is there anything notable about your system setup – or just a standalone computer with physical keyboard and no remote or virtual interfaces?

If you were copying and pasting anything, can you try typing the commands by hand into the terminal in case any whitespace or newline characters weren’t being copied correctly? Does that make any difference?

It doesn’t sound like the radiance installation, because it looks like the executables are being recognized through the terminal. Just in case anyone else thinks of something though, what installation package did you use to install Radiance?

-Chris

When I use the example lines from the documents above to create a vmtx, I have a recurring issue with -vf. The bash will say “rfluxmtx: cannot load -vf”. I posted earlier this month about something similar and all I had to do is retype the switch as it copied in a dash not a hyphen. I thought this issue might be the same case however “rfluxmtx: cannot load -vf” still appears. If I delete -vf file.vf I will get another error saying “rfluxmtx: cannot load -x” and this continues with all the other switches.

When I use Sarith’s view matrix example I get the same thing but for -ab: “rfluxmtx: cannot load -ab”.