Rtcontrib-BSDF and DAYSIM-pmap: where are we heading?

Fellows,

The intention here is to try to envisage what the software landscape might be like in five / ten years time, at least for Radiance users doing climate-based (i.e. annual) daylight modelling, perhaps including complex glazing systems.

Jan Wienold mentioned a while back that a photon-mapping Radiance add-on (I assume pmap) is in the works, and that it would be integrated with DAYSIM for annual simulations. Greg Ward has recently demonstrated the rtcontrib-BSDF approach that seems to offer similar functionality.

So, are we being presented with a fork in the road ahead? If so, how will we decide which path to take? Is now perhaps the right time to consider working-up a checklist of capabilities/strengths/weaknesses for the two approaches?

I don't believe that we are too far away from seeing metrics founded on climate-based daylight modelling appearing in guidelines such as LEED etc. In which case, there could be something of a scramble as potentially many, many new Radiance users join what is still a fairly small bunch of 'enthusiasts' doing annual simulations. It think it would be useful to get this discussion on the go sooner rather than later.

Best,

-John

···

-----------------------------------------------
Dr. John Mardaljevic
Reader in Daylight Modelling
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK
+44 (0) 116 257 7972
+44 (0) 116 257 7981 (fax)

[email protected]
http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm

Sounds like a great idea, John. I see it as a (very) friendly competition, where two groups are trying to solve a similar set of problems with slightly different approaches. I can probably come up with a set of goals and known limitations for the rtcontrib approach as a starting point. The photon map has been around long enough and has been used by a sufficient number of people that I hope we can solicit reviews from users as well as the creators (Roland and Jan).

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Date: May 10, 2010 7:11:08 AM PDT

Fellows,

The intention here is to try to envisage what the software landscape might be like in five / ten years time, at least for Radiance users doing climate-based (i.e. annual) daylight modelling, perhaps including complex glazing systems.

Jan Wienold mentioned a while back that a photon-mapping Radiance add-on (I assume pmap) is in the works, and that it would be integrated with DAYSIM for annual simulations. Greg Ward has recently demonstrated the rtcontrib-BSDF approach that seems to offer similar functionality.

So, are we being presented with a fork in the road ahead? If so, how will we decide which path to take? Is now perhaps the right time to consider working-up a checklist of capabilities/strengths/weaknesses for the two approaches?

I don't believe that we are too far away from seeing metrics founded on climate-based daylight modelling appearing in guidelines such as LEED etc. In which case, there could be something of a scramble as potentially many, many new Radiance users join what is still a fairly small bunch of 'enthusiasts' doing annual simulations. It think it would be useful to get this discussion on the go sooner rather than later.

Best,

-John