RGB values for different glazings

Hello all,

I need to model my building with glazings (from the Viracon Insulating glass
list) with different visible transmittances such as 65%, 58%, 54% etc.

How do I obtain the RGB values based on the visible transmittances for each
glazing? Please help.

Regards,
Ramana.

···

--
Venkata Ramana Koti
MS in Building Design (Energy/Climate)
School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
College of Design
Arizona State University, Tempe AZ 85287

Ramana,
For an accurate description of commercially available glazing types, you can
use the program Window from LBNL to export Radiance definitions.

John

···

On 4/30/06 6:00 AM, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

Send Radiance-general mailing list submissions to
[email protected]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-general
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
[email protected]

You can reach the person managing the list at
[email protected]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Radiance-general digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. RGB values for different glazings (Ramana Koti)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 00:18:31 -0700
Subject: [Radiance-general] RGB values for different glazings
To: "Radiance general discussion"
<[email protected]>
Message-ID:
<[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Hello all,

I need to model my building with glazings (from the Viracon Insulating glass
list) with different visible transmittances such as 65%, 58%, 54% etc.

How do I obtain the RGB values based on the visible transmittances for each
glazing? Please help.

Regards,
Ramana.

--
Venkata Ramana Koti
College of Design
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/attachments/20060430/296
5a596/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

End of Radiance-general Digest, Vol 26, Issue 20

--
John An
Environmental Designer
Atelier Ten
45 East 20th Street
New York, NY 10003
212-254-4500 (o)
212-254-1259 (f)

Ramana,

You could also use Optics 5, also rom LBNL, which includes a huge database of commercial glazings (including Viracon) that you can easily export to Radiance format. Window will allow you to create custom assemblies.

Here are some links:
http://windows.lbl.gov/materials/optics5/default.htm
http://windows.lbl.gov/software/window/window.html

John, I see you are now working at Atelier Ten in New York City? Cool! You are only 12 blocks from my old office, and are _very_ close to where I worked before that. You are also dangerously close to Duke's, purveyors of excellent cajun food and weapons-grade margaritas. That is a great neighborhood and I wish you the best of luck there. Say hi to Jochen for me.

- Rob

···

On Apr 30, 2006, at 7:49 AM, John An wrote:

Ramana,
For an accurate description of commercially available glazing types, you can
use the program Window from LBNL to export Radiance definitions.

Hi Ramana,

John and Rob have mentioned two great resources from LBNL:

1. Window
   2. Optics

I have more experience with Optics so I am not that sure of the data export capabilities from Window. I believe that Optics is the standard tool that is used to derive all the performance data for the glazing manufacturers such as Viracon and that this data is then fed into Window. Optics does have a facility for exporting Radiance material descriptions. Depending on your requirements though these will not be sufficient.

Probably the best way to get a more sophisticated material description for a specific glazing make-up is to export glazing specs from Optics one at a time (ie the glass used for surface 1/2 as one export and the glass used for surface 3/4 as another export) and then use the RGB and specularity values with the glaze.csh script that comes with Radiance. The script will enable you to output a more sophisticated material definition that better accounts for angular dependencies in the material. Note that the geometry is normal dependent, requiring that the glass geometry be modeled with the normal being pointed to the interior of the building (hope I got this right, I am working off memory here).

Hope this helps.

-Jack

Ramana Koti wrote:

···

Hello all,

I need to model my building with glazings (from the Viracon Insulating glass list) with different visible transmittances such as 65%, 58%, 54% etc.

How do I obtain the RGB values based on the visible transmittances for each glazing? Please help.

Regards,
Ramana.

--
Venkata Ramana Koti
College of Design
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction

Jack de Valpine wrote:

Probably the best way to get a more sophisticated material description for a specific glazing make-up is to export glazing specs from Optics one at a time (ie the glass used for surface 1/2 as one export and the glass used for surface 3/4 as another export) and then use the RGB and specularity values with the glaze.csh script that comes with Radiance. The script will enable you to output a more sophisticated material definition that better accounts for angular dependencies in the material. Note that the geometry is normal dependent, requiring that the glass geometry be modeled with the normal being pointed to the interior of the building (hope I got this right, I am working off memory here).

Hi Jack,

I forgot all about glaze!! Thanks for the reminder. I also had no idea that Greg added the ability to read in files; this makes it infinitely more useful. I assume you simply take all the glazing/coatings you want and export each to a radiance file from Optics5, and then feed them to glaze with the -f switch, huh? That's great, you guys. Thanks again to Greg for the work, and Jack is being very modest in his post by mentioning the tool but not mentioning the fact that his company funded the work. Thanks to you both.

And yes, the normal should face into the building. (the script actually throws up a nice little ASCII section for reference. =8-)

- Rob

Incidentally, I will be working with the folks at LBNL to get a proper Radiance material out of the next version of WINDOW. I actually wrote the glazing.cal file 12 years ago to handle WINDOW-4 output, and it may still be useful in some cases. You kind of have to know what you're doing with it, though. It doesn't handle fritted glazings at all.

-Greg

Hi Rob,

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

Jack de Valpine wrote:

Hi Jack,

I forgot all about glaze!! Thanks for the reminder. I also had no idea that Greg added the ability to read in files; this makes it infinitely more useful. I assume you simply take all the glazing/coatings you want and export each to a radiance file from Optics5, and then feed them to glaze with the -f switch, huh? That's great, you guys. Thanks again to Greg for the work, and Jack is being very modest in his post by mentioning the tool but not mentioning the fact that his company funded the work. Thanks to you both.

Unfortunately it is not quite that streamlined.... The -f switch takes a file with specific formatting (one glazing description per line) which is then parsed by the glaze script. I think that if you run glaze -f with nothing else it will spit out the formatting requirements... I should probably come up with an example to show this... Let me see what I can do by way of example on this to demonstrate how it works. You are right though that the -f switch makes it way more convenient to use glaze for specific libraries of glazing on a per project basis.

···

And yes, the normal should face into the building. (the script actually throws up a nice little ASCII section for reference. =8-)

- Rob

--
# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction