Rendered mountains

Hey Radiance folks,

I've written a pile of scripts to convert USGS elevation data into watertight trimeshes for 3D printing. While doing so, I had to make sample renderings of lots of mountains. So, if you like mountains and like Radiance, you might like these images.

I hope the renderings are good enough to warrant the shameless plug.

Details:

My own rockpng program converted the 16-bit PNG heightfield to a trimesh. Meshlab-server did some automatic processing on the mesh. I used GMSH to generate text and Carve to union that text with the model (all F/OSS). Models are 500k-900k triangle Wavefront .obj files (easy to read and write), converted to Radiance mesh format for rendering. The room was modeled after my living room (down to including two large green trees out the two windows), and rendering used an imagemap of my stone coffee table and some rpict depth-of-field with -aa 0 -ab 3 -ad 16 for ambient settings and -ps 1 -u+ -w- -lw 1.e-3 -ds 0.2 -dj 0.7 for rendering. The raw .hdr images were dropped to 8bpp first, then reduced 4:1 for the site (less noise doing it in that order).

Mark
markjstock.org
tinymtn.com

Very cool, Mark. When you hook a brotha up with a Long's Peak model, I'm all in.

It'll be cool if some people with the skills to do so, airbrush these to look like snow capped mountains. Bryce Canyon would look awesome all redded up too!

- Rob

ยทยทยท

On Jan 18, 2013, at 8:29 AM, Mark Stock <[email protected]> wrote:

Hey Radiance folks,

I've written a pile of scripts to convert USGS elevation data into watertight trimeshes for 3D printing. While doing so, I had to make sample renderings of lots of mountains. So, if you like mountains and like Radiance, you might like these images.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/TinyMtn

I hope the renderings are good enough to warrant the shameless plug.

Details:

My own rockpng program converted the 16-bit PNG heightfield to a trimesh. Meshlab-server did some automatic processing on the mesh. I used GMSH to generate text and Carve to union that text with the model (all F/OSS). Models are 500k-900k triangle Wavefront .obj files (easy to read and write), converted to Radiance mesh format for rendering. The room was modeled after my living room (down to including two large green trees out the two windows), and rendering used an imagemap of my stone coffee table and some rpict depth-of-field with -aa 0 -ab 3 -ad 16 for ambient settings and -ps 1 -u+ -w- -lw 1.e-3 -ds 0.2 -dj 0.7 for rendering. The raw .hdr images were dropped to 8bpp first, then reduced 4:1 for the site (less noise doing it in that order).

Mark
markjstock.org
tinymtn.com