I have problems with rcontrib program with Windows 8 SO. I am trying to do
Example 1 of A McNeil The Three-Phase Method. I would like to render with
vwrays with a windowglow in a test room. However, missing required modifier
argument message script. Does anyone know what is the problem with the
modifier?

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards,
Urtza.

Can you show us the command line that reports an error, exactly as you are giving it? (Cut and paste if you can.)

-Greg

···

Subject: [Radiance-general] rcontrib for rendering - missing required modifier argument
Date: May 6, 2015 2:38:37 AM PDT

Hello,

I have problems with rcontrib program with Windows 8 SO. I am trying to do Example 1 of A McNeil The Three-Phase Method. I would like to render with vwrays with a windowglow in a test room. However, missing required modifier argument message script. Does anyone know what is the problem with the modifier?

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards,
Urtza.

Hi Urtza,

The problem is the use of double-quotes for "vwrays -vtv -vh 94 -vv 70 -vp 1.5 5 1.75 -vd 0 -1 0 -x 600 -y 600 -d", which used singe back-quotes under Unix. This replaces the command with its output on the command line, something Windows does not do. Substituting with double-quotes is the wrong thing to do. Instead, execute this command yourself, then cut and paste the output into the rcontrib command line in its place.

The output is "-x 600 -y 392 -ld-", so you would use:

vwrays -ff -vf -vtv -vh 94 -vv 70 -vp 1.5 5 1.75 -vd 0-1 0 -x 600 -y 600 | rcontrib -x 600 -y 392 -ld- -ffc -fo -o vmx/window_%03d.hdr -f klems_ang.cal -b kbinS -bn Nkbins -m windowglow -ab 2 12 -ad 50000 -lw 2e-5 model_vmx.oct

As the actual command in Windows.

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] rcontrib for rendering - missing required modifier argument
Date: May 7, 2015 12:19:37 AM PDT
Hello Greg,
This is the command line:

C:\Radiance\test\20150505>vwrays -ff -vf -vtv -vh 94 -vv 70 -vp 1.5 5 1.75 -vd 0
-1 0 -x 600 -y 600 | rcontrib "vwrays -vtv -vh 94 -vv 70 -vp 1.5 5 1.75 -vd 0 -
1 0 -x 600 -y 600 -d" -ffc -fo -o vmx/window_%03d.hdr -f klems_ang.cal -b kbinS
-bn Nkbins -m windowglow -ab 2 12 -ad 50000 -lw 2e-5 model_vmx.oct
-vtv: no view in file
rcontrib: fatal - missing required modifier argument

I attach you the window.rad file (material + geometry)
Urtza.

Greg Ward <[email protected]> escribió:

Can you show us the command line that reports an error, exactly as you are giving it? (Cut and paste if you can.)

-Greg

Subject: [Radiance-general] rcontrib for rendering - missing required modifier argument
Date: May 6, 2015 2:38:37 AM PDT

Hello,

I have problems with rcontrib program with Windows 8 SO. I am trying to do Example 1 of A McNeil The Three-Phase Method. I would like to render with vwrays with a windowglow in a test room. However, missing required modifier argument message script. Does anyone know what is the problem with the modifier?

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards,
Urtza.

Hi Urtza,

You should not be using the file "klems_ang.cal" but something like "klems_full.cal" or klems_int.cal. This is why Nkbins was undefined, and probably at least one reason your simulation is not working.

Best,
-Greg

···

Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Fwd: rcontrib for rendering - missing required modifier argument
Date: May 13, 2015 8:14:16 AM PDT
Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your response.
I think that in the radiance-4.2.2-win32.exe there is not the ximage program. I usually use RadianceIV.exe program from Ecotect.

C:\Radiance\test\20150505\vmx>ximage window_000.hdr
"ximage" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.

However, I find klems_full.cal file that it has all information about kbinS and Nkbins.
Now I have 145 .hdr files. They have light source, but the room walls are black (is it usual?)

In reference to pcompos, window1_*.hdr is invalid argument. Do you know why?

C:\Radiance\test\20150505\vmx\images>pcompos -a 10 -b 1 1 1 "window1_*.hdr" > al
lwindow1.hdr
window1_*.hdr: Invalid argument

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards,
Urtza.

Christopher Rush <[email protected]> escribió:

What do you use to view the HDR image? Try typing:

ximage -e auto window_000.hdr

This will automatically adjust the exposure of your image upon initially opening the file. It could be that your image does have non-zero values but the exposure is skewed in your viewpoint making it look black with the default exposure value.

Or type

ximage window_000.hdr

then hit the ‘a’ key while ximage is active to view it with automatic exposure

while ximage is active you can also hit the ‘=’ key and click a point in the image to adjust the exposure according to various points in the image

Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:01 AM

However, generated window_000.hdr file does not have light. It is a black image, even though, the render generated by rvu of the room it is ok.
Do you know why does it happen?

Thank you!
Kind regards,
Urtza

I'm probably not the one to answer this, as I don't use Windows and haven't seen this error, but did you check to make sure there are files that match "window1_*.hdr" in the directory where pcompos is executed?

-Greg

···

Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] rcontrib for rendering - missing required modifier argument
Date: May 14, 2015 2:51:37 AM PDT
Hi Greg,

Thanks!
Now, I will try to solve the problem with pcompos (window1_*.hdr, invalid argument)

C:\Radiance\test\20150505\vmx\images>pcompos -a 10 -b 1 1 1 window1_*.hdr > al
lwindow1.hdr

Best wishes!
Urtza.

Greg Ward <[email protected]> escribió:

Hi Urtza,

You should not be using the file "klems_ang.cal" but something like "klems_full.cal" or klems_int.cal. This is why Nkbins was undefined, and probably at least one reason your simulation is not working.

Best,
-Greg

Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Fwd: rcontrib for rendering - missing required modifier argument
Date: May 13, 2015 8:14:16 AM PDT

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your response.
I think that in the radiance-4.2.2-win32.exe there is not the ximage program. I usually use RadianceIV.exe program from Ecotect.

C:\Radiance\test\20150505\vmx>ximage window_000.hdr
"ximage" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.

However, I find klems_full.cal file that it has all information about kbinS and Nkbins.
Now I have 145 .hdr files. They have light source, but the room walls are black (is it usual?)

In reference to pcompos, window1_*.hdr is invalid argument. Do you know why?

C:\Radiance\test\20150505\vmx\images>pcompos -a 10 -b 1 1 1 "window1_*.hdr" > al
lwindow1.hdr

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards,
Urtza.

Christopher Rush <[email protected]> escribió:

What do you use to view the HDR image? Try typing:

ximage -e auto window_000.hdr

This will automatically adjust the exposure of your image upon initially opening the file. It could be that your image does have non-zero values but the exposure is skewed in your viewpoint making it look black with the default exposure value.

Or type

ximage window_000.hdr

then hit the ‘a’ key while ximage is active to view it with automatic exposure

while ximage is active you can also hit the ‘=’ key and click a point in the image to adjust the exposure according to various points in the image

Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:01 AM

However, generated window_000.hdr file does not have light. It is a black image, even though, the render generated by rvu of the room it is ok.
Do you know why does it happen?

Thank you!
Kind regards,
Urtza