Radiance Utility to Identify Geometry Identifier Name

Thank you for the input Greg! Very useful info for debugging purposes.

···

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:45 PM
To: Radiance general discussion
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Radiance Utility to Identify Geometry Identifier Name

If you have X11, you can pipe the output of ximage into rtrace and use the 't' key to retrace individual rays. You need to give rtrace the scene octree and set its -o option to report the information you need, like "-oms" to report the intersected surface's modifier and name:

ximage render.hdr | rtrace -h -oms scene.oct

Cheers,
-Greg

Sent from my iPad

On May 27, 2015, at 6:33 PM, Guglielmetti, Robert <[email protected]> wrote:

You could just use the "trace" command in rvu too; it will return the coordinates of the surface, and then the modifier. But I think Andrei wants specifically to query the output HDR, not the octree. (?)

- Rob

On 5/27/15, 10:24 AM, "Thomas Bleicher" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

Andrei

Greg has developed just such a tool. rvu has a command line option that allows you to query the surface under the cursor. I don't have a Radiance installation around but you should find it in the man page.

It was either that or a cunning pipe between the output of rvu (view direction) and rtrace to report the modifier.

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Kolomenski, Andrei (JSC-SF311)[WYLE INTEG. SCI. & ENG.] <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Hello Dear Radiance Community,

I'm curious if it is possible to identify a specific geometry primitive identifier name in a .rad file given an .hdr image of the octree that uses this geometry .rad file? I have a .rad geometry file that contains numerous polygons and it would be helpful to be able to identify a specific polygon identifier name by simply clicking on its surface within an .hdr image. This is useful for debugging purposes, where the geometry consists of a large number of geometry primitives.

If anybody has developed a Radiance utility that performs this task, I would greatly appreciate it you could share it or give some insight into the procedure.

Best Regards,
Andrei Kolomenski