Radiance MIME types

I've updated the registration form to account for the suggested changes:

1. Listed as many apps as I can find which work with the format.
2. Added the "rgbe" and "xyze" extensions.
3. Added a notes section at the end which indicates that the "pic" extension is deprecated, and explains that "?RADIANCE\n" is not a reliable identifier, as indeed no magic number is.

For the moment I am leaving Greg's email off the form; Greg, if you want direct e-mails on this, let me know and I'll add it. Once the spec is submitted, you'll be the change controller, with the final word on the format, but unless you really want the work, I don't see any reason for you to be getting direct e-mails.

Next to edit the specification, which may take a while because I am busy with other matters.

Meantime, yes, Axel go ahead and forward the proposal to the pfstools list. The username/password may stay in; the point is to keep the thing from showing up in Google searches, not to keep it truly secret.

Do keep in mind that the registration form is not the place for specification of the file format; there's only so much it can contain or, customarily, does contain.

Randolph

Thanks so much for the follow-through, Randolph. (And Axel as well)

Let me know if you need anything else from me, such as an updated document describing the format. I could probably edit the one I have to single out the picture format and add in whatever may be missing.

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Date: November 10, 2008 4:56:39 PM PST

3. Added a notes section at the end which indicates that the "pic" extension is deprecated, and explains that "?RADIANCE\n" is not a reliable identifier, as indeed no magic number is.

For the moment I am leaving Greg's email off the form; Greg, if you want direct e-mails on this, let me know and I'll add it. Once the spec is submitted, you'll be the change controller, with the final word on the format, but unless you really want the work, I don't see any reason for you to be getting direct e-mails.

Next to edit the specification, which may take a while because I am busy with other matters.

Meantime, yes, Axel go ahead and forward the proposal to the pfstools list. The username/password may stay in; the point is to keep the thing from showing up in Google searches, not to keep it truly secret.

Do keep in mind that the registration form is not the place for specification of the file format; there's only so much it can contain or, customarily, does contain.

Randolph

Hi Randolph,

Can you add to the apps RadDisplay which is used for preview and analysis of
Radiance images?

Regards,
Marija

D'oh! And I use RadDisplay, too. Done. Sorry.

Randolph

···

On Nov 11, 2008, at 1:52 AM, Marija Velickovic wrote:

Hi Randolph,

Can you add to the apps RadDisplay which is used for preview and analysis of Radiance images?

Regards,
Marija

I'm not sure how much we need to do here; citing RwR ch 18 might be enough, if that is still current. If it's not, an updated version would be very much appreciated; while we are not obliged to publish a specification for the format, it would probably save much confusion and many interoperability problems if we did.

Randolph

···

On Nov 10, 2008, at 5:06 PM, Gregory J. Ward wrote:

Thanks so much for the follow-through, Randolph. (And Axel as well)

Let me know if you need anything else from me, such as an updated document describing the format. I could probably edit the one I have to single out the picture format and add in whatever may be missing.

Cheers,
-Greg

Date: November 10, 2008 4:56:39 PM PST

Randolph

Hi Randolph,

If by Chapter 18, you mean "filefmts.pdf" from the website, then I agree. The only thing I could add are a few more header variables, but I lost the original source for this document, so editing it would be difficult.

-Greg

···

Date: November 11, 2008 11:56:37 AM PST

I'm not sure how much we need to do here; citing RwR ch 18 might be enough, if that is still current. If it's not, an updated version would be very much appreciated; while we are not obliged to publish a specification for the format, it would probably save much confusion and many interoperability problems if we did.

Randolph

That sounds good. BTW, if you want to recover the document, I can get Acrobat Pro to export the text; I think it will even export to MS-Word or HTML-ish code.

Randolph

···

On Nov 11, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Gregory J. Ward wrote:

Hi Randolph,

If by Chapter 18, you mean "filefmts.pdf" from the website, then I agree. The only thing I could add are a few more header variables, but I lost the original source for this document, so editing it would be difficult.

-Greg

Date: November 11, 2008 11:56:37 AM PST

Randolph

Cool -- I didn't realize you could do that with Acrobat. I just tried, and it gets out the text and some of the formatting, but loses tables and things like that. Still, a starting place for the desperate...

-Greg

···

Date: November 12, 2008 4:18:11 PM PST

That sounds good. BTW, if you want to recover the document, I can get Acrobat Pro to export the text; I think it will even export to MS-Word or HTML-ish code.

Randolph

On Nov 11, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Gregory J. Ward wrote:

Hi Randolph,

-Greg