Radiance install on Mac OS X (Jaguar)

I am currently trying to install Radiance in XDarwin on a Macintosh running Mac OSX 10.2. I am completely new to UNIX, so my question may be simplistic. Please bare with me. If this question is inappropriate, then please let me know, and I will not fill your inboxes.

I read Greg Ward's response to Galen Burrell, and tried following the direction.

When I try running the ./makeall install script, I always come up with errors.
When I try copying the files manually, I also run into problems

I'm trying to install into /usr/local/radiance

With the cp -rp lib /usr/local/radiance/lib/ray command, I get a message saying that the file is identical.
With the cp -p src/*.cal /usr/local/radiance/lib/ray command, I get a message saying that there was no match.

I'm sure it's my ignorance that's causing the problem.

Again, I'm a complete newbie, so I really don't know what I'm doing, but am willing to learn and experiment.

Can you point me to a resource that will help me understand the install process? I understand that my question is really remedial, but I know I'll understand better the installation process under UNIX through this task of having to install Radiance.

Thanks in advance for your time and patience.

John An

hi, i m pillo
and i am using radiance on a ibook.... (with osx..) (and on dual athlon linux box...)
i m not a beginner, but not so more...
what you can do (IF you are a mac user like me, with little unix knowledge):

(ELSE wait for BETTER ANSWER...)

0)log on your system with root permissions (watch out! you are root... )

1) install xdarwin (it seems you did already, anyway you can get it from http://mrcla.com/XonX/)

2)get tinkertool to view hidden files (so you can use aqua GUI to move and copy files ;-))))) (get it from http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool2.html)

3)copy the files (binaries precompiled from ftp @radiste) into 'usr/x11r6/bin/' (i suggest to backup your current 'usr/x11r6/bin ' directory...BEFORE!!!)

4)then copy the libraries to 'usr/local/lib/ray/' (you should create 'ray' directory before..) (make it readable for others user)

5)copy manuals into 'man' directory (usr/share/man/) without overwriting pre-existing directories... (back up BEFORE doing anything)

6)login as normal users... open xdarwin... enjoy with radiance!!!!

PS. may be you should change permissions to read library directory (and to find rayinit.cal) (you can use command 'chmod' .. 'man chmod')

i hope my email was useful.
regards,
pillo
(quite beginner)

John An wrote:

I am currently trying to install Radiance in XDarwin on a Macintosh running Mac OSX 10.2. I am completely new to UNIX, so my question may be simplistic. Please bare with me. If this question is inappropriate, then please let me know, and I will not fill your inboxes.

Totally appropriate. You will find some very intelligent users on ths list, who gratefully don't mind the cooasional beginner question. Believe me, I should know. I was a LINUX loser for years, barely able to copy a file to the location I wanted. When OS X came out, it made life a WHOLE LOT easier.... and I'm still struggling. Hang in there. May I recommend "MacOSX Unleashed" for a lot of useful info on UNIX in the OS X vein.

I read Greg Ward's response to Galen Burrell, and tried following the direction.

I don't have all my old email regarding this installation process, but I *did* install Radiance for OSX without compiling. Twice, in fact. Problem is, the last time I did it was a while ago, so I forget a lot. I *do* need to get the 10.2 binaries going on my system since I just upgraded to Jaguar myself.

As a start may I suggest trying to re-copy the stuff to the correct locations? Note you should drop down to a shell (load Terminal) and do this from the command line, and do it as root. Type "sudo su", return. You will be asked for the administrator password. Now you can copy the binbaries to /usr/local/bin. You also have to copy the library files, but as Greg mentioned I think if you run the makeall install the script will copy those files where they need to do for you, even if the compile procedure fails. Doesn't matter, because you can then copy Greg's compiled binaries to /usr/local/bin per my instructions above. When you're done you chould "change back" to your normal user by typing sudo (username).

You also need to add that directory to your path statement in your .cshrc file. Again, I can give mre details as I dig up my old emails on this stuff, but the experts here may beat me to it because they can do this stuff in their sleep (which I find amazing).

ยทยทยท

--

Rob Guglielmetti
[email protected]
www.rumblestrip.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your quick response. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but it seems pretty apparent that it's me and not the software.

John