Radiance-general Digest, Vol 156, Issue 2

Hi Giulio,

You probably want to create a mesh out of the raster model and then save it to obj as suggested by Greg.
You can use Rhino3D for that. Rhino can import xyz files (you can use the GDAL library for converting the tiff to xyz) and create a mesh from 3D points using the command meshpatch.
Hope this helps.

Giuseppe

···

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 17:19:53 +0000
To: Radiance general discussion <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] DEM to .rad pipeline
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Best is save to an obj file and then import as mesh with obj2mesh
G.

On 31 Jan 2017, at 22:36, Ian Seiferling <[email protected]> wrote:

I am very new to radiance and thus this may come across as a novice or naive question. I hope to use radiance to model daylight on exterior surfaces. The geometry I work with are DEMs typically coming in raster (geotiff) format.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/attachments/20170202/0d584959/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

You can also use gensurf to load height data and convert it to .OBJ format using the -o option. From there, obj2mesh creates a Radiance triangle mesh as Giulio suggested.

Cheers,
-Greg

···

On Feb 2, 2017, at 12:36 PM, Giuseppe Peronato <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Giulio,

You probably want to create a mesh out of the raster model and then save it to obj as suggested by Greg.
You can use Rhino3D for that. Rhino can import xyz files (you can use the GDAL library for converting the tiff to xyz) and create a mesh from 3D points using the command meshpatch.
Hope this helps.

Giuseppe

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 17:19:53 +0000
To: Radiance general discussion <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] DEM to .rad pipeline
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Best is save to an obj file and then import as mesh with obj2mesh
G.

On 31 Jan 2017, at 22:36, Ian Seiferling <[email protected]> wrote:

I am very new to radiance and thus this may come across as a novice or naive question. I hope to use radiance to model daylight on exterior surfaces. The geometry I work with are DEMs typically coming in raster (geotiff) format.