Radiance-general Digest, Vol 155, Issue 3

Hi Greg,
Thank you for your reply. It is much helpful.The data sheet holds no information on the interior reflection so no help there. The material composition is 64% PVC & 36% fibreglass if that is of any help based on you experience.

Best regards
Per Haugaard

···

Den 19:12 fredag den 6. januar 2017 skrev "[email protected]" <[email protected]>:

Send Radiance-general mailing list submissions to
[email protected]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-general
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
[email protected]

You can reach the person managing the list at
[email protected]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Radiance-general digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Representation of a solar sceen in radiance (Gregory J. Ward)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 10:10:34 -0800
To: Radiance general discussion <[email protected]>
Cc: Per Haugaard <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Representation of a solar sceen in
radiance
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

HI Per,

I changed the subject back to the original, but I see that you sent this reply to me alone.

The BRTDfunc type is a material in Radiance, so it should modify a surface directly, not another material. Therefore, you should apply your "glaze1_unnamed" material directly to the polygon of your window.

Your changes to the arguments are as I suggested to get the desired total transmission. If light reflection is 76% and our frit coverage is 95%, that means that the "back side" diffuse reflection should be much higher -- around 78% or so. I would suggest changing the specification as follows:

void BRTDfunc glaze1_unnamed
sr_frit_r sr_frit_g sr_frit_b
st_frit_r st_frit_g st_frit_b
0 0 0
glaze1.cal
11 0.0722 0.06935 0.06745 0.78 0.78 0.78 0.02 0.02 0.02 1 .95

The actual reflection on the exterior of the building will matter more to outside views than inside views and illumination. Do they give any information about interior reflection for the shading system? This would affect what we specify for the first three arguments.

Cheers,
-Greg

Date: January 6, 2017 5:03:53 AM PST

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your answer.
The data sheet does not say anything about the diffuse reflection but the solar reflection is listed to 77% and the light reflection is listed to 76%. Can this lead us to a more precise description?.

I am not familiar with the BRTDfunc or glaze script but it looks interesting. Would the description in the material file be:

0 0 0
glaze1.cal
11 0.0722 0.06935 0.06745 0.1995 0.1995 0.1995 0.02 0.02 0.02 1 .95

glaze1_unnamed glass clear_glass_with_screen
3 0.06 0.06 0.06

What should the specular reflection and specular transmission be in the description of the material?

I would much appreciate if you could help me or point me in the direction of better understanding the BRTDfunc and how to use it.

Best regards

Per Haugaard

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 14:21:44 -0800

Hi Per,

The Radiance "BRTDfunc" material offers the most control over these parameters, and can be done with a single surface. The "glaze" script can get you pretty close to what you want by simulating your system as a single-pane fritted glazing. I generated the following using a 95% coverage (corresponding roughly to a 4% visibility factor):

% glaze
###
### NOTE: Using internal demo database!
###

Enter the number of panes in the system: 1

Window normal faces interior

> >
> >
> >
> >-->
> >
> >
> >
s1 s2

Supported surface types are:
1 - clear glass
2 - VE1-2M low-E coating
3 - PVB laminated
4 - V-175 white frit
5 - V-933 warm gray frit

What is the type of s1? 5
What is the type of s2? 1
Enter fraction coverage for s1 (0-1): .95

############################################
# Glazing produced by Radiance glaze script
# $Revision: 2.8 $
# Material surface normal points to interior
# Number of panes in system: 1
# Exterior surface s1 type: V-933 warm gray frit
# s1 coating coverage: .95
# Interior surface s2 type: clear glass
# Exterior normal hemispherical reflectance: 0.20331675
# Interior normal hemispherical reflectance: 0.14631675
# Normal hemispherical transmittance: 0.129616
#
0 0 0
glaze1.cal
1 .95

--------
Based on the output above, the gray frit I used (V-933) is not dark enough to simulate your system, since the tranmission is about twice too high (0.129616 instead of 0.06). This is mostly in the diffuse transmitted part, so you can probably adjust the 0.0855 values above to something like 0.02 (three times) to get close to your 6% total transmission. I have no idea what the diffuse reflection values should be, since you didn't give us those measurements.

Cheers,
-Greg

> From: Christopher Rush <[email protected]>
> Date: January 4, 2017 6:40:14 AM PST
>
> If you use the ?glass? material type, you would get varying reflection/transmission at certain angles based on Snell?s law, refractive index, critical angle, etc. ? on both sides of the glass, which might not be representative of your system. You could consider one surface/layer to represent the glass (?glass? material type might be good enough approximation) and another layer to represent the screen (maybe ?trans? material type unless you want to specify angular-dependent properties). If you want to combine the effect of glass with screen into one surface/layer then you probably need to consider something more complex if the different reflective properties on each side of the system are important. There are also more accurate ways to model glass if it has specific coatings, etc. that are important to the results.
>
> -Chris
>
>
> From: Per Haugaard [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 4:26 AM
> To: Radiance Radiance
> Subject: [Radiance-general] Representation of a solar sceen in radiance
>
> Dear users,
>
> Happy New Year.
> I am looking for the best way to represent a gray semi transparent solar screen in radiance. Would it be to represent is as a sheet of glass with the total light transmissions or?
> The screen is placed on the exterior side of the window and has a solartransmission of 6%, light transmission of 6% and an openness factor of 4%.The colour rendering index is 100.
> The total light transmissions of the screen and glass is 4%.
>
> Any input is appreciated.
>
> Best regards
> Per Haugaard

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/attachments/20170106/6d2e9524/attachment.html>

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

------------------------------

End of Radiance-general Digest, Vol 155, Issue 3