Radiance ASCII format specification

Does Radiance specify[1] a standard ASCII format for RGB output? I've observed two "defaults":

* rtrace, rcalc - RGB fields separated by tabs. Sensor records separated by newlines.
$ vwrays -vf myview.vf | head -n 1 | rtrace -ab 0 -h model.oct
$ 0.000000e+00<TAB>0.000000e+00<TAB>0.000000e+00<TAB><CR>

* dctimestep - RGB fields separated by spaces. Time-series records separated by tabs. Sensor records separated by newlines.
$ gendaymtx -m 4 city.wea | dctimestep -n 8760 model.dc | head -n 1
$ 0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<TAB>0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<TAB>...

Is there any reason to think that these two format specifications should be unified in the standard distribution (e.g. fields separated by spaces, time-based records separated by tabs, spatial records separated by newlines)? How many tools would be broken in the process?

Thanks in advance — Devon

[1] http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/refer/filefmts.pdf

Devon Sparks
Consultant | Lighting Group

Arup
560 Mission Street Seventh Floor San Francisco CA 94105 United States
t +1 415 957 9445 d +1 415 946 0240
f +1 415 957 9096

···

Hi Devon,

Most Unix programs (Radiance tools included) treat tabs and spaces the same on input.

There is a new program called rcollate that allows you to change the record length for any input, i.e. change where newlines are placed.

What is the problem you are trying to resolve, exactly?

-Greg

···

Subject: [Radiance-dev] Radiance ASCII format specification
Date: April 7, 2014 5:20:15 PM PDT

Does Radiance specify[1] a standard ASCII format for RGB output? I've observed two "defaults":

* rtrace, rcalc - RGB fields separated by tabs. Sensor records separated by newlines.

* dctimestep - RGB fields separated by spaces. Time-series records separated by tabs. Sensor records separated by newlines.
$ 0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<TAB>0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<TAB>...

Is there any reason to think that these two format specifications should be unified in the standard distribution (e.g. fields separated by spaces, time-based records separated by tabs, spatial records separated by newlines)? How many tools would be broken in the process?

Devon Sparks

Arup
f +1 415 957 9096

Hi Greg,

I've sketched a collection of analysis tools that operate on Radiance output. Some of these tools should operate on Radiance output data whatever, regardless of source (e.g. rtrace, dctimestep) and provide sanity checks where possible. For argument's sake, assume I'm writing a C-based tool for calculating dot products with RGB triplets in a file with a variable number of records. A few approaches:

1.) Accept input data as-is. Collect/emit values with strtok_r, exiting on malformed/misaligned input. Because there's no way (?) to consistently distinguish records from fields without parsing the header (which may be missing), there's no safety net in the event the user accidentally provides wrongly typed data (say, an illuminance dat file vs irradiance values).

2.) Provide an "rcheck" command/function to perform record/field standardization up front. I currently approximate this by wrapping rcollate. This works well, as it isolates record parsing from the analysis logic. Data processing on RGB triplets (one per record) now can be treated consistently:

while not EOF:
   rec = next_records(1)
   assert length(rec)==3
   process_rec(rec)

Unfortunately, this adds an additional scan of the input stream.

3.) Unify the field/record specification within Radiance itself in order to simplify the logic of analysis tools.

Some of these sketched programs operate on a single record, while others collect n (12,24,60) records before processing. By munching tabs and spaces without discretion, it seems difficult to validate input format/record types during processing. For now I've opted for option (2), but figured I'd ask about alternative approaches.

Many thanks — Devon

Devon Sparks

Arup
f +1 415 957 9096

···

From: Devon Sparks <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Date: Monday, April 7, 2014 5:26 PM
To: "[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Subject: Radiance ASCII format specification

Devon Sparks

Arup
f +1 415 957 9096

Thanks, Devon. Definitely helps me to know some context....

Wrapping rcollate isn't a bad approach, since I wrote this program to be very efficient. It doesn't attempt to decode floating-point numbers (atof() is a very expensive call) and file i/o is streamlined as much as possible.

However, if there are specific changes you can suggest to specific Radiance tools that would make your life easier, I will look into it. I know some of the tools differ with regards to tabs and spaces between the final record and the newline, for example. This has caused me trouble when tried to use rcalc input formats, so I wouldn't working on that issue.

As far as spaces versus tabs between RGB values, I can probably fix this as well for some tools, but generic programs like rcalc are not going to differentiate between fields in a record.

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Subject: Re: [Radiance-dev] Radiance ASCII format specification
Date: April 8, 2014 10:56:10 AM PDT

Hi Greg,

I've sketched a collection of analysis tools that operate on Radiance output. Some of these tools should operate on Radiance output data whatever, regardless of source (e.g. rtrace, dctimestep) and provide sanity checks where possible. For argument's sake, assume I'm writing a C-based tool for calculating dot products with RGB triplets in a file with a variable number of records. A few approaches:

1.) Accept input data as-is. Collect/emit values with strtok_r, exiting on malformed/misaligned input. Because there's no way (?) to consistently distinguish records from fields without parsing the header (which may be missing), there's no safety net in the event the user accidentally provides wrongly typed data (say, an illuminance dat file vs irradiance values).

2.) Provide an "rcheck" command/function to perform record/field standardization up front. I currently approximate this by wrapping rcollate. This works well, as it isolates record parsing from the analysis logic. Data processing on RGB triplets (one per record) now can be treated consistently:

while not EOF:
   rec = next_records(1)
   assert length(rec)==3
   process_rec(rec)

Unfortunately, this adds an additional scan of the input stream.

3.) Unify the field/record specification within Radiance itself in order to simplify the logic of analysis tools.

Some of these sketched programs operate on a single record, while others collect n (12,24,60) records before processing. By munching tabs and spaces without discretion, it seems difficult to validate input format/record types during processing. For now I've opted for option (2), but figured I'd ask about alternative approaches.

Many thanks — Devon

Devon Sparks

Date: Monday, April 7, 2014 5:26 PM
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Devon Sparks

Hi Devon,

I looked into this some more, and there's not much I can do to change rtrace without breaking other tools, unfortunately.

I just tweaked dctimestep so that it doesn't insert a leading tab on the first record, bringing its output in line with that of rcollate. Not sure if this is any help.

The reason I don't actually output columns on a single line with gendaymtx is that most text editors will choke on a 130 KByte line, although you can get that easily with something like "rcollate -oc 8760" if you want it. Passing to dctimestep (if that's your plan) is faster with the gendaymtx "-of" option, anyway, since you avoid the back-and-forth between ASCII and float representations that takes so much time.

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Devon Sparks

Hi Greg,

Thanks very much for your help here. It seems like the best way forward is
to use an rcollate-based "rcheck" program to unify data as needed, and
then to build analysis tools around this output format. If the new format
proves particularly helpful, I may have a go at patching my local Radiance
install and see how far I get. Happy to share my findings.

All very helpful. Thanks again! -- Devon

···

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 16:58:07 -0700
To: code development <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Radiance-dev] Radiance ASCII format specification
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"

Hi Devon,

I looked into this some more, and there's not much I can do to change
rtrace without breaking other tools, unfortunately.

I just tweaked dctimestep so that it doesn't insert a leading tab on the
first record, bringing its output in line with that of rcollate. Not
sure if this is any help.

The reason I don't actually output columns on a single line with
gendaymtx is that most text editors will choke on a 130 KByte line,
although you can get that easily with something like "rcollate -oc 8760"
if you want it. Passing to dctimestep (if that's your plan) is faster
with the gendaymtx "-of" option, anyway, since you avoid the
back-and-forth between ASCII and float representations that takes so much
time.

Cheers,
-Greg

Does Radiance specify[1] a standard ASCII format for RGB output? I've
observed two "defaults":

* rtrace, rcalc - RGB fields separated by tabs. Sensor records
separated by newlines.

* dctimestep - RGB fields separated by spaces. Time-series records
separated by tabs. Sensor records separated by newlines.
$
0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<TAB>0.000000e+00<SP>0.000000
e+00<SP>0.000000e+00<TAB>...

Is there any reason to think that these two format specifications
should be unified in the standard distribution (e.g. fields separated by
spaces, time-based records separated by tabs, spatial records separated
by newlines)? How many tools would be broken in the process?

Thanks in advance ? Devon

Devon Sparks