PVB laminated single glazing & glaze

Hi,

I ran into a strange problem. I want to model a PVB single glazing pane (which means two glass panes with interlayer). Still, as their is no space between the panes, I choose number of panes=1, and I am pretty sure that this is the right way to do this - am I wrong? Next, I have to either define the outer and inner surfaces (s1, s2). I choosed s1=clear glass and s2=laminated pvb, according to the rule that all glass materials are defined from the viewer's side. Still this is not really clear, so I would like to ask if I am doing something completely wrong here or if I understood the script right?

TIA, CU Lars.

Hi Lars,

This may be the best you can achieve with the existing script. Without an air gap, you won't get as much internal reflection in the system, but there may still be some caused by the PVB interlayer. It depends on its structure and index of refraction. The glaze script was not really designed to model such systems, but I can't point you in a better direction at the moment.

Best,
-Greg

···

Date: December 16, 2008 2:13:53 AM PST

Hi,

I ran into a strange problem. I want to model a PVB single glazing pane (which means two glass panes with interlayer). Still, as their is no space between the panes, I choose number of panes=1, and I am pretty sure that this is the right way to do this - am I wrong? Next, I have to either define the outer and inner surfaces (s1, s2). I choosed s1=clear glass and s2=laminated pvb, according to the rule that all glass materials are defined from the viewer's side. Still this is not really clear, so I would like to ask if I am doing something completely wrong here or if I understood the script right?

TIA, CU Lars.

Hi Lars and Greg,

I believe in optics that you can define a glazing unit that includes a PVB interlayer (eg two monolithic glass materials sandwiched together with a pvb interlayer, for example). Would it be reasonable to export this as a radiance description and then convert with the optics2rad script?

-Jack

Greg Ward wrote:

···

Hi Lars,

This may be the best you can achieve with the existing script. Without an air gap, you won't get as much internal reflection in the system, but there may still be some caused by the PVB interlayer. It depends on its structure and index of refraction. The glaze script was not really designed to model such systems, but I can't point you in a better direction at the moment.

Best,
-Greg

Hi,

TIA, CU Lars.

I don't know Optics, but it sounds good to me!

-Greg

···

Date: December 16, 2008 11:21:43 AM PST

Hi Lars and Greg,

I believe in optics that you can define a glazing unit that includes a PVB interlayer (eg two monolithic glass materials sandwiched together with a pvb interlayer, for example). Would it be reasonable to export this as a radiance description and then convert with the optics2rad script?

-Jack

Lars -

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but it is possible to model laminated
glazing system such as you are describing in the Optics5 program, and then
you can generate a Radiance file from Optics5.

Optics5 is available (at no charge, courtesy of the US Department of Energy)
on our website:

http://windows.lbl.gov/software/

And here is a detailed description of how to make laminates in Optics
(accessed from the Optics5 Knowledge Base).

http://windows.lbl.gov/software/NFRC/Training/LaminateProcedure-Final.pdf

Robin

···

Robin Mitchell
Windows & Daylighting Group
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Greg Ward
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:33 AM
To: Radiance general discussion
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] PVB laminated single glazing & glaze

Hi Lars,

This may be the best you can achieve with the existing script.
Without an air gap, you won't get as much internal reflection in the
system, but there may still be some caused by the PVB interlayer. It
depends on its structure and index of refraction. The glaze script
was not really designed to model such systems, but I can't point you
in a better direction at the moment.

Best,
-Greg

Hi,

I ran into a strange problem. I want to model a PVB single glazing
pane (which means two glass panes with interlayer). Still, as their
is no space between the panes, I choose number of panes=1, and I am
pretty sure that this is the right way to do this - am I wrong?
Next, I have to either define the outer and inner surfaces (s1,
s2). I choosed s1=clear glass and s2=laminated pvb, according to
the rule that all glass materials are defined from the viewer's
side. Still this is not really clear, so I would like to ask if I
am doing something completely wrong here or if I understood the
script right?

TIA, CU Lars.

And here is a detailed description of how to make laminates in Optics
(accessed from the Optics5 Knowledge Base).

http://windows.lbl.gov/software/NFRC/Training/LaminateProcedure-Final.pdf

Thank you! I have just set up a Virtualbox Windows-VM for Optics, so I can have a look at that now :slight_smile:

CU Lars.