Problems installing on Suse 8.2

Hello,

We have not been able to install the latest HEAD release on our Suse 8.2 machine. The installation worked fine on several Suse 7.2 machines. The problem on the 8.2 machines was related to libtiff, specifically when using rmake to compile makefile from makefile.in in the directory raysource/px/tiff/ . It seems line 31 and several other lines get garbled and essentially are not commented out anymore. Line 31 just contains a bunch of version information.

The relevant differences noted between Suse 8.2 and Suse 7.2 was with the libtiff version and the gcc version.

Suse 7.2 has
libtiff 3.5.5-136
gcc 2.95.3-52

Suse 8.2 has
libtiff 3.5.7-204
gcc3.3-23

I read somewhere on this site that people were successful with libtiff 3.5.7 and so that leads me to think the problem was with the version of gcc.

Just wanted to report this problem to you all as Suse 7.2 is now several years old and Suse 8.2 is also slightly outdated. Is there any work arounds we can take to get Radiance working on Suse8.2? Most of the binaries seemed to compile before this error, could we just execute the last portion of the install script to move the binaries into the correct locations, and what programs would we be missing if we did that? (ie. what programs are dependant on libtiff?)

Thanks in advance!
Zack

PS Thanks Greg for the help in narrowing down this error!

···

--
Zack Rogers
Staff Engineer
Architectural Energy Corporation
2540 Frontier Avenue, Suite 201
Boulder, CO 80301 USA

tel (303)444-4149 ext.235
fax (303)444-4304

Zack Rogers wrote:

Hello,

We have not been able to install the latest HEAD release on our Suse 8.2 machine. The installation worked fine on several Suse 7.2 machines. The problem on the 8.2 machines was related to libtiff, specifically when using rmake to compile makefile from makefile.in in the directory raysource/px/tiff/ . It seems line 31 and several other lines get garbled and essentially are not commented out anymore. Line 31 just contains a bunch of version information.

From the sound of it, I ran into this too under Mandrake 9.1. The entire Makefile is garbled with stuff repeated all over the place. I think it was a problem with sed, but I never figured out why. I vaguely remember sed generated the makefile fine from the commandline, but not from the configure script -- VERY weird. I ended up doing it the hard way, i.e. manually. You might wanna try a newer libtiff and pray it's still compatible with RADIANCE. In any case, future RADIANCE releases should definitely upgrade to a current(ish) libtiff.

--Roland

···

--
Roland Schregle
PhD candidate, Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems
RADIANCE Photon Map page: www.ise.fhg.de/radiance/photon-map

END OF LINE. (MCP)