Photosphere (or equivalent) in Linux or Windows?

Dear Radiance community,

There was a great effort a couple of years ago to create a cross-platform version of Photosphere by Greg and Helena Eydelberg. Is this version perhaps stable enough for distribution?
Otherwise, what would you use as an alternative if not Photosphere? Has anyone used successfully any other workaround (e.g. an OS X virtual box)?

Thanks for any ideas!

Best,
Kynthia Chamilothori

Hi all,
I also developed a window based software a few years ago to work with HDR images. You can download it from this link: http://aftabsoft.net/AftabAlpha/Software/Aftab_Setup.exeThey are some tutorials for it here http://aftabsoft.net/aftab-alpha.html
Regards,Majid

···

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:09 PM, Nathaniel Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

He Germán,

I recall having the same problem when I installed hdrscope on Windows 7. As I recall, I had set a system-wide RAYPATH, but it turned out that the installer only checks the user environment variables. Adding Radiance to the user PATH and RAYPATH, then running the installer, and then removing the user PATH and RAYPATH seemed to work.
Nathaniel
On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Germán Molina Larrain <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks, Mehlika.

I downloaded it from http://courses.washington.edu/hdrscope/download.html and installed the NREL Binaries for Windows (they are working), but the setup still tells me that I need to install Radiance.

Is that a known problem? when I put "echo %RAYPATH%" in the command line, it returns the correct path.

Best,

Germán

2016-06-02 13:39 GMT-03:00 Mehlika Inanici <[email protected]>:

Hi German,

hdrscope works in Windows 10. That is what I am using. You need a valid Radaince installation and path and raypath set to Radiance/bin and Radiance/lib.

Best,
Mehlika

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016, Germán Molina Larrain wrote:

Have you heard about HDR Scope??? I saw a demonstration given by Mehlika Inanici once... it was REALLY COOL. For Windows only, though.

Anyone knows wheather it has been updated to work in Windows 10?

2016-05-31 9:45 GMT-03:00 Chamilothori Kynthia <[email protected]>:
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your answer\! Great to hear that the Windows port is stable and working\!
  I completely understand the difficulty of continuing the porting work \- thanks for all the work you have already put into this\. I think that for what I want to do
  hdrgen and pcomb will do fine for now\.

Cheers,
  Kynthia
  \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-

Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 08:40:58 \-0700
  To: Radiance general discussion &lt;radiance\-general@radiance\-online\.org&gt;
  Subject: Re: \[Radiance\-general\] \[HDRI\] Photosphere \(or equivalent\) in
          Linux   or Windows?
  Message\-ID: &lt;519C9544\-A8CF\-430D\-8857\-27537814B93B@lmi\.net&gt;
  Content\-Type: text/plain; charset=&quot;us\-ascii&quot;

Hi Kynthia,

To recover the costs related to developing a Windows version, we have been charging a site license fee of $250 US to institutions that want to use Elena&#39;s port of
  Photosphere\.  It does appear to be stable inasmuch as we have received no complaints about its behavior from any of the licensees\.

The long\-term goal is to port her version, which is based on the cross\-platform wxWidgets API, back to newer versions of Mac OS X and even Linux\.  Unfortunately, I
  have not had time to pursue this activity\.  I am unsure at this point when I will ever get to it\.\.\.\.

Cheers,
  \-Greg

&gt; From: Chamilothori Kynthia &lt;kynthia\.chamilothori@epfl\.ch&gt;
  &gt; Date: May 30, 2016 6:09:23 AM PDT
  &gt;
  &gt; Dear Radiance community,
  &gt;
  &gt; There was a great effort a couple of years ago to create a cross\-platform version of Photosphere by Greg and Helena Eydelberg\. Is this version perhaps stable enough
  for distribution?
  &gt; Otherwise, what would you use as an alternative if not Photosphere? Has anyone used successfully any other workaround \(e\.g\. an OS X virtual box\)?
  &gt;
  &gt; Thanks for any ideas\!
  &gt;
  &gt; Best,
  &gt; Kynthia Chamilothori

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/attachments/20160530/915e41c1/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

End of Radiance-general Digest, Vol 147, Issue 11

Cross-posting another relevant entry:

···

Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] [HDRI] Photosphere (or equivalent) in Linux or Windows?
Date: June 3, 2016 1:05:12 AM PDT
To: Radiance general discussion <[email protected]>
Reply-To: Majid Miri <[email protected]>, Radiance general discussion <[email protected]>

Hi all,

I also developed a window based software a few years ago to work with HDR images. You can download it from this link: http://aftabsoft.net/AftabAlpha/Software/Aftab_Setup.exe
They are some tutorials for it here http://aftabsoft.net/aftab-alpha.html

Regards,
Majid

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:09 PM, Nathaniel Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

He Germán,

I recall having the same problem when I installed hdrscope on Windows 7. As I recall, I had set a system-wide RAYPATH, but it turned out that the installer only checks the user environment variables. Adding Radiance to the user PATH and RAYPATH, then running the installer, and then removing the user PATH and RAYPATH seemed to work.

Nathaniel

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Germán Molina Larrain <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks, Mehlika.

I downloaded it from http://courses.washington.edu/hdrscope/download.html and installed the NREL Binaries for Windows (they are working), but the setup still tells me that I need to install Radiance.

Is that a known problem? when I put "echo %RAYPATH%" in the command line, it returns the correct path.

Best,

Germán

Hi German,

hdrscope works in Windows 10. That is what I am using. You need a valid Radaince installation and path and raypath set to Radiance/bin and Radiance/lib.

Best,
Mehlika

Have you heard about HDR Scope??? I saw a demonstration given by Mehlika Inanici once... it was REALLY COOL. For Windows only, though.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your answer! Great to hear that the Windows port is stable and working!
      I completely understand the difficulty of continuing the porting work - thanks for all the work you have already put into this. I think that for what I want to do
      hdrgen and pcomb will do fine for now.

Cheers,
      Kynthia

Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 08:40:58 -0700
      Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] [HDRI] Photosphere (or equivalent) in
              Linux or Windows?
      Message-ID: <[email protected]>
      Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hi Kynthia,

To recover the costs related to developing a Windows version, we have been charging a site license fee of $250 US to institutions that want to use Elena's port of
      Photosphere. It does appear to be stable inasmuch as we have received no complaints about its behavior from any of the licensees.

The long-term goal is to port her version, which is based on the cross-platform wxWidgets API, back to newer versions of Mac OS X and even Linux. Unfortunately, I
      have not had time to pursue this activity. I am unsure at this point when I will ever get to it....

Cheers,
      -Greg

> From: Chamilothori Kynthia <[email protected]>
      > Date: May 30, 2016 6:09:23 AM PDT
      >
      > Dear Radiance community,
      >
      > There was a great effort a couple of years ago to create a cross-platform version of Photosphere by Greg and Helena Eydelberg. Is this version perhaps stable enough
      for distribution?
      > Otherwise, what would you use as an alternative if not Photosphere? Has anyone used successfully any other workaround (e.g. an OS X virtual box)?
      >
      > Thanks for any ideas!
      >
      > Best,
      > Kynthia Chamilothori
URL: <http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/attachments/20160530/915e41c1/attachment-0001.html>

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your answer! Great to hear that the Windows port is stable and working!
I completely understand the difficulty of continuing the porting work - thanks for all the work you have already put into this. I think that for what I want to do hdrgen and pcomb will do fine for now.

Cheers,
Kynthia

···

Linux or Windows?

Hi Kynthia,

To recover the costs related to developing a Windows version, we have been charging a site license fee of $250 US to institutions that want to use Elena's port of Photosphere. It does appear to be stable inasmuch as we have received no complaints about its behavior from any of the licensees.

The long-term goal is to port her version, which is based on the cross-platform wxWidgets API, back to newer versions of Mac OS X and even Linux. Unfortunately, I have not had time to pursue this activity. I am unsure at this point when I will ever get to it....

Cheers,
-Greg

Date: May 30, 2016 6:09:23 AM PDT

Dear Radiance community,

There was a great effort a couple of years ago to create a cross-platform version of Photosphere by Greg and Helena Eydelberg. Is this version perhaps stable enough for distribution?
Otherwise, what would you use as an alternative if not Photosphere? Has anyone used successfully any other workaround (e.g. an OS X virtual box)?

Thanks for any ideas!

Best,
Kynthia Chamilothori

Hi German,

Best,
Mehlika

···

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016, Germ�n Molina Larrain wrote:

Hi Greg,

I completely understand the difficulty of continuing the porting work - thanks for all the work you have already put into this. I think that for what I want to do

Cheers,
      Kynthia

� � � � Linux� �or Windows?

Hi Kynthia,

To recover the costs related to developing a Windows version, we have been charging a site license fee of $250 US to institutions that want to use Elena's port of
      Photosphere.� It does appear to be stable inasmuch as we have received no complaints about its behavior from any of the licensees.

The long-term goal is to port her version, which is based on the cross-platform wxWidgets API, back to newer versions of Mac OS X and even Linux.� Unfortunately, I
      have not had time to pursue this activity.� I am unsure at this point when I will ever get to it....

Cheers,
      -Greg

>
      >
      > There was a great effort a couple of years ago to create a cross-platform version of Photosphere by Greg and Helena Eydelberg. Is this version perhaps stable enough
      for distribution?
      > Otherwise, what would you use as an alternative if not Photosphere? Has anyone used successfully any other workaround (e.g. an OS X virtual box)?
      >
      > Thanks for any ideas!
      >
      > Best,
      > Kynthia Chamilothori

Hi all,

Germán and Mehlika, thanks for introducing me to hdrscope, I’m installing it right now.
And thank you Nathaniel for solving the RAYPATH problem!

In case it helps someone else, I was using Greg’s hdrgen and the combination of ra_xyze, pcompos and pvalue to calibrate an HDR image as described in this thread<http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2011-April/007764.html> and I ran into the following error when applying the last line:

(getinfo < capture.hdr ; echo EXPOSURE=$ecorr ; getinfo - < capture.hdr) > calibrated.hdr

The output picture reads as a ‘bad picture format’ with ximage and a closer look reveals that the EXPOSURE line that is added in the header is just above the –Y +X resolution parameters, with the empty line ("\n\n") before it, terminating the header before this new EXPOSURE variable.
Out of curiosity I put the empty line after the EXPOSURE (this time with no lines between the header variables), and now the HDR opens correctly with ximage with both EXPOSURE variables (original and new) but the luminance values are very low (<1L). I’m obviously doing something very wrong.
If I understand correctly, the error correction (and the added EXPOSURE variable) should ideally be very close to 179 based on the standard lumens/watt conversion – in my case it’s 178.02 as the ratio of measured and generated luminance values is 0.99. Is this correct?

I’ve lent our copy of Rendering with Radiance to a student, so forgive me if I’m missing things that are explained there.
Let me know if I should make a separate message about this, as I am hijacking my own thread!

Thanks for all your help,
Kynthia

···

Sent: samedi 4 juin 2016 01:35
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] [HDRI] Photosphere (or equivalent) in Linux or Windows?

Really really cool, Nathaniel. Thanks a lot.

2016-06-02 14:09 GMT-03:00 Nathaniel Jones <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>:
He Germán,

Nathaniel

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Germán Molina Larrain <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Thanks, Mehlika.
Best,
Germán

2016-06-02 13:39 GMT-03:00 Mehlika Inanici <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>:

Hi German,

Best,
Mehlika

2016-05-31 9:45 GMT-03:00 Chamilothori Kynthia <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>:
      Hi Greg,

Cheers,
      Kynthia

From: Greg Ward <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
      To: Radiance general discussion <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
              Linux or Windows?
      Message-ID: <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>

Hi Kynthia,

Photosphere. It does appear to be stable inasmuch as we have received no complaints about its behavior from any of the licensees.

The long-term goal is to port her version, which is based on the cross-platform wxWidgets API, back to newer versions of Mac OS X and even Linux. Unfortunately, I
      have not had time to pursue this activity. I am unsure at this point when I will ever get to it....

Cheers,
      -Greg

> From: Chamilothori Kynthia <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
      >
      >
      for distribution?
      >
      > Thanks for any ideas!
      >
      > Best,
      > Kynthia Chamilothori

Hi Greg,

Thanks for proposing a solution so quickly - much better than my clumsy attempts at grep!

However, my calibrated image still has very low luminance values (< 1.0L) This makes sense: as I read from the File Format document in the Radiance references, the EXPOSURE variables in the header are cumulative, so I am essentially dividing all my values by 178 (which is my $ecorr). Am I doing the conversion (set ecorr=`ev "179*$img_val/$meas"`) incorrectly? :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help once again,

Kynthia

···

Sent: mardi 7 juin 2016 17:45

Hi Kynthia,

The corrected version of this command sequence is:

(getinfo < capture.hdr | sed 1a\
EXPOSURE=$ecorr ; getinfo - < capture.hdr) > calibrated.hdr

It's important to put the backslash immediately after the 'a' with no spaces for this to work. This puts the EXPOSURE= line on the second line of the header, instead of after it.

The following will create a "slighly wrong" header that will still work -- this is what I usually do:

echo EXPOSURE=$ecorr > calibrated.hdr
                cat capture.hdr >> calibrated.hdr

Cheers,
-Greg

From: Chamilothori Kynthia <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>

Date: June 7, 2016 6:30:37 AM PDT

Hi all,

Germán and Mehlika, thanks for introducing me to hdrscope, I'm installing it right now.

In case it helps someone else, I was using Greg's hdrgen and the combination of ra_xyze, pcompos and pvalue to calibrate an HDR image as described in this thread<http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2011-April/007764.html> and I ran into the following error when applying the last line:

(getinfo < capture.hdr ; echo EXPOSURE=$ecorr ; getinfo - < capture.hdr) > calibrated.hdr

The output picture reads as a 'bad picture format' with ximage and a closer look reveals that the EXPOSURE line that is added in the header is just above the -Y +X resolution parameters, with the empty line ("\n\n") before it, terminating the header before this new EXPOSURE variable.
Out of curiosity I put the empty line after the EXPOSURE (this time with no lines between the header variables), and now the HDR opens correctly with ximage with both EXPOSURE variables (original and new) but the luminance values are very low (<1L). I'm obviously doing something very wrong.
If I understand correctly, the error correction (and the added EXPOSURE variable) should ideally be very close to 179 based on the standard lumens/watt conversion - in my case it's 178.02 as the ratio of measured and generated luminance values is 0.99. Is this correct?

I've lent our copy of Rendering with Radiance to a student, so forgive me if I'm missing things that are explained there.
Let me know if I should make a separate message about this, as I am hijacking my own thread!

Kynthia

Hi Kynthia,

To recover the costs related to developing a Windows version, we have been charging a site license fee of $250 US to institutions that want to use Elena's port of Photosphere. It does appear to be stable inasmuch as we have received no complaints about its behavior from any of the licensees.

The long-term goal is to port her version, which is based on the cross-platform wxWidgets API, back to newer versions of Mac OS X and even Linux. Unfortunately, I have not had time to pursue this activity. I am unsure at this point when I will ever get to it....

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Date: May 30, 2016 6:09:23 AM PDT

Dear Radiance community,

Thanks for any ideas!

Best,
Kynthia Chamilothori

Have you heard about HDR Scope??? I saw a demonstration given by Mehlika
Inanici once... it was REALLY COOL. For Windows only, though.

···

2016-05-31 9:45 GMT-03:00 Chamilothori Kynthia <[email protected] >:

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your answer! Great to hear that the Windows port is stable and
working!
I completely understand the difficulty of continuing the porting work -
thanks for all the work you have already put into this. I think that for
what I want to do hdrgen and pcomb will do fine for now.

Cheers,
Kynthia

Linux or Windows?

Hi Kynthia,

To recover the costs related to developing a Windows version, we have been
charging a site license fee of $250 US to institutions that want to use
Elena's port of Photosphere. It does appear to be stable inasmuch as we
have received no complaints about its behavior from any of the licensees.

The long-term goal is to port her version, which is based on the
cross-platform wxWidgets API, back to newer versions of Mac OS X and even
Linux. Unfortunately, I have not had time to pursue this activity. I am
unsure at this point when I will ever get to it....

Cheers,
-Greg

>
>
> There was a great effort a couple of years ago to create a
cross-platform version of Photosphere by Greg and Helena Eydelberg. Is this
version perhaps stable enough for distribution?
> Otherwise, what would you use as an alternative if not Photosphere? Has
anyone used successfully any other workaround (e.g. an OS X virtual box)?
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Best,
> Kynthia Chamilothori
URL: <
http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/attachments/20160530/915e41c1/attachment-0001.html
>

Seems relevant to this discussion as well (from Radiance-general list):

···

Subject: [!!SP: THIS MESSAGE IS SPAM] Re: [Radiance-general] [HDRI] Photosphere (or equivalent) in Linux or Windows?
Date: June 2, 2016 9:39:58 AM PDT

Hi German,

Best,
Mehlika

Hi Greg,
     Cheers,
     Kynthia
             Linux or Windows?
     Hi Kynthia,
     Cheers,
     -Greg
     >
     >
     for distribution?
     >
     > Thanks for any ideas!
     >
     > Best,
     > Kynthia Chamilothori

Thanks, Mehlika.

I downloaded it from http://courses.washington.edu/hdrscope/download.html
and installed the NREL Binaries for Windows (they are working), but the
setup still tells me that I need to install Radiance.

Is that a known problem? when I put "echo %RAYPATH%" in the command line,
it returns the correct path.

Best,

Germán

···

Hi German,

hdrscope works in Windows 10. That is what I am using. You need a valid
Radaince installation and path and raypath set to Radiance/bin and
Radiance/lib.

Best,
Mehlika

2016-05-31 9:45 GMT-03:00 Chamilothori Kynthia <
[email protected]>:
      Hi Greg,

Thanks for your answer! Great to hear that the Windows port is
stable and working!
      I completely understand the difficulty of continuing the porting
work - thanks for all the work you have already put into this. I think that
for what I want to do

Cheers,
      Kynthia

To: Radiance general discussion <
[email protected]>
      Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] [HDRI] Photosphere (or equivalent)
in
              Linux or Windows?

Hi Kynthia,

To recover the costs related to developing a Windows version, we
have been charging a site license fee of $250 US to institutions that want
to use Elena's port of
      Photosphere. It does appear to be stable inasmuch as we have
received no complaints about its behavior from any of the licensees.

Linux. Unfortunately, I
      have not had time to pursue this activity. I am unsure at this
point when I will ever get to it....

Cheers,
      -Greg

>
      >
version perhaps stable enough
      for distribution?
      > Otherwise, what would you use as an alternative if not
Photosphere? Has anyone used successfully any other workaround (e.g. an OS
X virtual box)?
      >
      > Thanks for any ideas!
      >
      > Best,
      > Kynthia Chamilothori
http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/attachments/20160530/915e41c1/attachment-0001.html
>

He Germán,

I recall having the same problem when I installed hdrscope on Windows 7. As
I recall, I had set a system-wide RAYPATH, but it turned out that the
installer only checks the user environment variables. Adding Radiance to
the user PATH and RAYPATH, then running the installer, and then removing
the user PATH and RAYPATH seemed to work.

Nathaniel

···

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Germán Molina Larrain <[email protected] > wrote:

Thanks, Mehlika.

Best,

Germán

Hi German,

Radiance/lib.

Best,
Mehlika

[email protected]>:
      Hi Greg,

stable and working!
for what I want to do

Cheers,
      Kynthia

[email protected]>
      Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] [HDRI] Photosphere (or equivalent)
in
              Linux or Windows?

Hi Kynthia,

to use Elena's port of

Linux. Unfortunately, I

Cheers,
      -Greg

>
      >
      for distribution?
X virtual box)?
      >
      > Thanks for any ideas!
      >
      > Best,
      > Kynthia Chamilothori
>

Really really cool, Nathaniel. Thanks a lot.

···

2016-06-02 14:09 GMT-03:00 Nathaniel Jones <[email protected]>:

He Germán,

I recall having the same problem when I installed hdrscope on Windows 7.
As I recall, I had set a system-wide RAYPATH, but it turned out that the
installer only checks the user environment variables. Adding Radiance to
the user PATH and RAYPATH, then running the installer, and then removing
the user PATH and RAYPATH seemed to work.

Nathaniel

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Germán Molina Larrain < > [email protected]> wrote:

Thanks, Mehlika.

Best,

Germán

Hi German,

Radiance/lib.

Best,
Mehlika

[email protected]>:
      Hi Greg,

stable and working!
for what I want to do

Cheers,
      Kynthia

[email protected]>
      Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] [HDRI] Photosphere (or
equivalent) in
              Linux or Windows?

Hi Kynthia,

to use Elena's port of

Linux. Unfortunately, I

Cheers,
      -Greg

>
      >
      for distribution?
X virtual box)?
      >
      > Thanks for any ideas!
      >
      > Best,
      > Kynthia Chamilothori
>

Hi Kynthia,

It's important to put the backslash immediately after the 'a' with no spaces for this to work. This puts the EXPOSURE= line on the second line of the header, instead of after it.

The following will create a "slighly wrong" header that will still work -- this is what I usually do:

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Hi all,

Germán and Mehlika, thanks for introducing me to hdrscope, I’m installing it right now.

In case it helps someone else, I was using Greg’s hdrgen and the combination of ra_xyze, pcompos and pvalue to calibrate an HDR image as described in this thread and I ran into the following error when applying the last line:

The output picture reads as a ‘bad picture format’ with ximage and a closer look reveals that the EXPOSURE line that is added in the header is just above the –Y +X resolution parameters, with the empty line ("\n\n") before it, terminating the header before this new EXPOSURE variable.
Out of curiosity I put the empty line after the EXPOSURE (this time with no lines between the header variables), and now the HDR opens correctly with ximage with both EXPOSURE variables (original and new) but the luminance values are very low (<1L). I’m obviously doing something very wrong.
If I understand correctly, the error correction (and the added EXPOSURE variable) should ideally be very close to 179 based on the standard lumens/watt conversion – in my case it’s 178.02 as the ratio of measured and generated luminance values is 0.99. Is this correct?

I’ve lent our copy of Rendering with Radiance to a student, so forgive me if I’m missing things that are explained there.

Kynthia

Hi Kynthia,

I suppose it depends on how you obtained your $img_val. If you read it using pcomb (without -o option), then your exposure correction is correct. If you read it from ximage using the 'l' command or similar, then it was already multiplied by 179 and you should leave this factor off.

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Date: June 8, 2016 4:41:37 AM PDT

Hi Greg,

Thanks for proposing a solution so quickly – much better than my clumsy attempts at grep!
However, my calibrated image still has very low luminance values (< 1.0L) This makes sense: as I read from the File Format document in the Radiance references, the EXPOSURE variables in the header are cumulative, so I am essentially dividing all my values by 178 (which is my $ecorr). Am I doing the conversion (set ecorr=`ev "179*$img_val/$meas"`) incorrectly? :slight_smile:

Kynthia

Hi Kynthia,

Cheers,
-Greg

Hi all,

In case it helps someone else, I was using Greg’s hdrgen and the combination of ra_xyze, pcompos and pvalue to calibrate an HDR image as described in this thread and I ran into the following error when applying the last line:

Kynthia

To continue this conversation, I found a demonstration
<http://nljones.scripts.mit.edu/hdr/> I made a while back of the same
source jpegs used to create HDR files with three different softwares for
Windows (Photosphere, Bracket, and Picturenaut). The page is made using a
neat little javascript export from Picturenaut. As you can see from the
histograms, the three images are nearly (but not quite) identical. As I
recall, the Photosphere image looked the smoothest in falsecolor.

Cheers,

Nathaniel

···

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Chamilothori Kynthia < [email protected]> wrote:

Dear Radiance community,

There was a great effort a couple of years ago to create a cross-platform
version of Photosphere by Greg and Helena Eydelberg. Is this version
perhaps stable enough for distribution?

Otherwise, what would you use as an alternative if not Photosphere? Has
anyone used successfully any other workaround (e.g. an OS X virtual box)?

Thanks for any ideas!

Best,

Kynthia Chamilothori

Hi Nathaniel,

This is a very interesting comparison, thank you! The HDR HTML viewer looks like a great tool for sharing HDR files.

Cheers,
Kynthia

···

Sent: jeudi 9 juin 2016 02:29

To continue this conversation, I found a demonstration<http://nljones.scripts.mit.edu/hdr/> I made a while back of the same source jpegs used to create HDR files with three different softwares for Windows (Photosphere, Bracket, and Picturenaut). The page is made using a neat little javascript export from Picturenaut. As you can see from the histograms, the three images are nearly (but not quite) identical. As I recall, the Photosphere image looked the smoothest in falsecolor.

Cheers,

Nathaniel

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Chamilothori Kynthia <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Dear Radiance community,

Thanks for any ideas!

Best,
Kynthia Chamilothori

Hi Greg,

I was reading it from ximage indeed - mystery solved! Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
Kynthia

···

Sent: mercredi 8 juin 2016 17:01

Hi Kynthia,

I suppose it depends on how you obtained your $img_val. If you read it using pcomb (without -o option), then your exposure correction is correct. If you read it from ximage using the 'l' command or similar, then it was already multiplied by 179 and you should leave this factor off.

Cheers,
-Greg

Date: June 8, 2016 4:41:37 AM PDT

Hi Greg,

Thanks for proposing a solution so quickly - much better than my clumsy attempts at grep!

Kynthia

Hi Kynthia,

Cheers,
-Greg

Hi all,

Germán and Mehlika, thanks for introducing me to hdrscope, I'm installing it right now.

In case it helps someone else, I was using Greg's hdrgen and the combination of ra_xyze, pcompos and pvalue to calibrate an HDR image as described in this thread<http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2011-April/007764.html> and I ran into the following error when applying the last line:

The output picture reads as a 'bad picture format' with ximage and a closer look reveals that the EXPOSURE line that is added in the header is just above the -Y +X resolution parameters, with the empty line ("\n\n") before it, terminating the header before this new EXPOSURE variable.
Out of curiosity I put the empty line after the EXPOSURE (this time with no lines between the header variables), and now the HDR opens correctly with ximage with both EXPOSURE variables (original and new) but the luminance values are very low (<1L). I'm obviously doing something very wrong.
If I understand correctly, the error correction (and the added EXPOSURE variable) should ideally be very close to 179 based on the standard lumens/watt conversion - in my case it's 178.02 as the ratio of measured and generated luminance values is 0.99. Is this correct?

I've lent our copy of Rendering with Radiance to a student, so forgive me if I'm missing things that are explained there.

Kynthia