Photosphere and anyhere.com?

Hi All

For many years in introductory computers in architecture classes I promoted the concept that one should never buy a computer for its own sake. This was when people still debated Apple vs 'IBM-PC' as a purchase option. The mantra I promoted was ASH: Applications - Software - Hardware… So, first figure out an Application that might be better if supported by some form of computational tool; then find the best Software that allowed the greatest enhancement of the Application. Finally this will likely determine which Hardware will be needed at your price point to achieve the enhanced Application.

I have recently had a MBSc student using Photosphere to process her images from an HDR app for a smart phone. This has led me to the situation where I want to do this myself; so I have bought a Mac… Now, I find anyhere.com is not running (over past 48 hours) Any thoughts as to what is happening?

m

Hi Mike,

Anyhere runs on a low-budget server that occasionally experiences problem. In this case, something more serious is going on and I just wrote to the administrator (/ business owner) to find out what. Hopefully, we'll have it sorted out in a day or two. Meanwhile, I will e-mail you a copy of Photosphere.

Cheers,
-Greg

P.S. This probably belongs on the HDRI mailing list, so I'll cross-post my reply there. Any follow-up should happen on HDRI.

···

Date: April 11, 2013 5:31:53 AM PDT

Hi All

For many years in introductory computers in architecture classes I promoted the concept that one should never buy a computer for its own sake. This was when people still debated Apple vs 'IBM-PC' as a purchase option. The mantra I promoted was ASH: Applications - Software - Hardware… So, first figure out an Application that might be better if supported by some form of computational tool; then find the best Software that allowed the greatest enhancement of the Application. Finally this will likely determine which Hardware will be needed at your price point to achieve the enhanced Application.

I have recently had a MBSc student using Photosphere to process her images from an HDR app for a smart phone. This has led me to the situation where I want to do this myself; so I have bought a Mac… Now, I find anyhere.com is not running (over past 48 hours) Any thoughts as to what is happening?

m