I am pleased to announce that the first two demonstration videos featuring
the Radiance integration with OpenStudio have been posted on the
OpenStudio YouTube page.

This one demonstrates ModelToRad.rb, a translator for OpenStudio models to
Radiance format:

This one demos DaylightSim.rb, which allows you perform some basic
daylighting calculations:

Support for more materials (trans, BSDF), the three phase daylight
coefficient method, and schedule import/export are in the works.

The Radiance Dashboard, promised at the Radiance Workshop on August, is
also close to going live; I'll post an announcement here when that happens.

Plenty of other information about the OpenStudio project can be found at
(openstudio.nrel.gov).

- Rob

Rob Guglielmetti IESNA, LEED AP
Commercial Buildings Research Group
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
1617 Cole Blvd MS:RSF202
Golden, CO 80401
T. 303.275.4319
F. 303.630.2055
E. [email protected]

Hi Rob:

I try your programs under Win 7.I downloaded the Window version of Radiance
4.0 from OpenStudio NREL website. Some programs written in perl such as
genskyvec are not included in the Radiance bin folder. I am
not familiar with Perl and Ruby.If I want to run it under Window OS, where
can I get these missing bin file? or how can I compile the Radiance source
files (4.0 or 4.1) under Windows OS? I searched and found some related
posts, but still do not know how to do it.

Thank you,

Jia

···

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Guglielmetti, Robert < [email protected]> wrote:

Greetings simulationists,

OpenStudio YouTube page.

Radiance format:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz0ULTK8eQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeeLN-KU6-c

also close to going live; I'll post an announcement here when that happens.

(openstudio.nrel.gov).

- Rob

Golden, CO 80401
T. 303.275.4319
F. 303.630.2055
E. [email protected]

Hi Jia,

Yes, the Windows binary distribution is not quite finalized. I am working
with our staff here to get all those last Perl scripts included in the
binary distribution. We are also in the process of getting access to the
Radiance source tree so we can automate the updates; when that is set up,
we will share those links with the community. In the meantime I can send
you falsecolor and genskyvec tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience, we're trying to get this all wrapped here
shortly.

- Rob

···

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Jia Hu <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Rob:

I try your programs under Win 7.I downloaded the Window version of
Radiance 4.0 from OpenStudio NREL website. Some programs written in perl
such as genskyvec are not included in the Radiance bin folder. I am
not familiar with Perl and Ruby.If I want to run it under Window OS, where
can I get these missing bin file? or how can I compile the Radiance source
files (4.0 or 4.1) under Windows OS? I searched and found some related
posts, but still do not know how to do it.

Thank you,

Jia

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Guglielmetti, Robert < > [email protected]> wrote:

Greetings simulationists,

OpenStudio YouTube page.

Radiance format:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz0ULTK8eQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeeLN-KU6-c

also close to going live; I'll post an announcement here when that
happens.

(openstudio.nrel.gov).

- Rob

Golden, CO 80401
T. 303.275.4319
F. 303.630.2055
E. [email protected]

There may be some issues with Perl scripts and Windows. I don't think genBSDF will work in its current configuration. Andy McNeil and I fixed genklemsamp and genskyvec, and I think Axel's falsecolor script works, so it may just be genBSDF that needs an update.

-Greg

···

Date: November 16, 2011 9:11:13 PM PST

Hi Jia,

Yes, the Windows binary distribution is not quite finalized. I am working with our staff here to get all those last Perl scripts included in the binary distribution. We are also in the process of getting access to the Radiance source tree so we can automate the updates; when that is set up, we will share those links with the community. In the meantime I can send you falsecolor and genskyvec tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience, we're trying to get this all wrapped here shortly.

- Rob

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Jia Hu <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Rob:

I try your programs under Win 7.I downloaded the Window version of Radiance 4.0 from OpenStudio NREL website. Some programs written in perl such as genskyvec are not included in the Radiance bin folder. I am not familiar with Perl and Ruby.If I want to run it under Window OS, where can I get these missing bin file? or how can I compile the Radiance source files (4.0 or 4.1) under Windows OS? I searched and found some related posts, but still do not know how to do it.

Thank you,

Jia

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Guglielmetti, Robert <[email protected]> wrote:

Right; thanks for pointing that out Greg. I thought genskyvec and genklemsamp have been working for a little while, and I know falsecolor works. Didn't know about genBSDF, thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if the same issues would happen with Ruby? Hate to reinvent the wheel but from an OpenStudio support perspective, we'd actually be eliminating one dependency (Perl) but I get that most Radiance scripters are in Python land first and foremost, probably Perl second, and Ruby third (and then you have Andrew Marsh using Lua :wink: ). Something for us to think about on this end, but I'd rather spend time wrapping Ian Ashdown's Perez sky generator first…

- Rob

Golden, CO 80401
T. 303.275.4319
F. 303.630.2055
E. [email protected]

···

On 11/17/11 8:06 AM, "Greg Ward" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

There may be some issues with Perl scripts and Windows. I don't think genBSDF will work in its current configuration. Andy McNeil and I fixed genklemsamp and genskyvec, and I think Axel's falsecolor script works, so it may just be genBSDF that needs an update.

-Greg

From: Rob Guglielmetti <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>

Date: November 16, 2011 9:11:13 PM PST

Hi Jia,

Yes, the Windows binary distribution is not quite finalized. I am working with our staff here to get all those last Perl scripts included in the binary distribution. We are also in the process of getting access to the Radiance source tree so we can automate the updates; when that is set up, we will share those links with the community. In the meantime I can send you falsecolor and genskyvec tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience, we're trying to get this all wrapped here shortly.

- Rob

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Jia Hu <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Hi Rob:

I try your programs under Win 7.I downloaded the Window version of Radiance 4.0 from OpenStudio NREL website. Some programs written in perl such as genskyvec are not included in the Radiance bin folder. I am not familiar with Perl and Ruby.If I want to run it under Window OS, where can I get these missing bin file? or how can I compile the Radiance source files (4.0 or 4.1) under Windows OS? I searched and found some related posts, but still do not know how to do it.

Thank you,

Jia

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Guglielmetti, Robert <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

The Windows compatibility issues aren't really Perl-specific. They are more associated with the Windows command line than anything else. You can't pipe binary data between commands because Windows doesn't track the exact file length, nor can you escape newlines. This changes how command lines are packaged up and handed off to the shell, and involves some inefficiencies if we do the same thing on all systems, which is why there are some ($windoz) conditionals in genklemsamp.

-Greg

···

Date: November 17, 2011 7:53:30 AM PST

Right; thanks for pointing that out Greg. I thought genskyvec and genklemsamp have been working for a little while, and I know falsecolor works. Didn't know about genBSDF, thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if the same issues would happen with Ruby? Hate to reinvent the wheel but from an OpenStudio support perspective, we'd actually be eliminating one dependency (Perl) but I get that most Radiance scripters are in Python land first and foremost, probably Perl second, and Ruby third (and then you have Andrew Marsh using Lua :wink: ). Something for us to think about on this end, but I'd rather spend time wrapping Ian Ashdown's Perez sky generator first…

- Rob

On 11/17/11 8:06 AM, "Greg Ward" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

-Greg

There is also the problem that Windows doesn't ship with Perl installed. A windows user has to install one of the windows ports of Perl (Active Perl, Strawberry Perl, etc) or we could provide packaged executables for windows systems using par-packer (http://search.cpan.org/~rschupp/PAR-Packer-1.010/lib/pp.pm). We've gone the par-packer route for the Radiance Perl programs needed by COMFEN and Window6 - we can't really tell those users to install a windows port of a unix utility, the user support requests would be a nightmare.

Andy

···

On Nov 17, 2011, at 8:06 AM, Greg Ward wrote:

The Windows compatibility issues aren't really Perl-specific. They are more associated with the Windows command line than anything else. You can't pipe binary data between commands because Windows doesn't track the exact file length, nor can you escape newlines. This changes how command lines are packaged up and handed off to the shell, and involves some inefficiencies if we do the same thing on all systems, which is why there are some ($windoz) conditionals in genklemsamp.

-Greg

Date: November 17, 2011 7:53:30 AM PST

- Rob

-Greg