Modelling an LED Monitor with a Beam Pattern & Display Image

Hello Radiance Experts,

I want to model an LED monitor with a measured beam pattern. Also, I want to superimpose an image on the monitor such that the light projected through the image is affected by the monitor's beam pattern.

I'm running into trouble with my current procedure (INCORRECT IMAGE COLORS - TOP IMAGE), it produces a monitor image that appears to be color inverted, also the image surface has 0 radiance even though it is applied to a light primitive that has a radiance definition.

See top display image doesn't look like the bottom one, also the top image has no light output: https://s31.postimg.org/8cal8he6j/Monitor_Dif.png

******* INCORRECT IMAGE COLORS - TOP IMAGE ********
void brightdata Monitor_BeamPattern
5 flatcorr Mockup_Lamp_BeamPattern.dat source.cal src_theta src_phi
1 1

Monitor_BeamPattern colorpict monitor_image2
9 clip_r clip_g clip_b Image.hdr picture.cal pic_u pic_v -s 0.254

monitor_image2 light monitor2_background
3 10 10 10

monitor2_background polygon monitor_surface2
0 0 0
0.444 0 0
0.444 0.254 0
0 0.254 0

******* CORRECT IMAGE COLORS BUT NO BEAM PATTERN - BOTTOM IMAGE ********
void colorpict monitor_image3

monitor_image3 light monitor3_background
3 10 10 10

monitor3_background polygon monitor_surface3
0 0 0
0.444 0 0
0.444 0.254 0
0 0.254 0

Why is the top definition, using brightdata, produce a color distorted image, that has no luminance? Advice on modelling a monitor will be much appreciated!

Thank you for your time,
Andrei Kolomenski

Hello Radiance Experts,

I want to model an LED monitor with a measured beam pattern. Also, I want to superimpose an image on the monitor such that the light projected through the image is affected by the monitor's beam pattern.

I'm running into trouble with my current procedure (INCORRECT IMAGE COLORS - TOP IMAGE), it produces a monitor image that appears to be color inverted, also the image surface has 0 radiance even though it is applied to a light primitive that has a radiance definition.

See top display image doesn't look like the bottom one, also the top image has no light output: https://s31.postimg.org/8cal8he6j/Monitor_Dif.png

1 1

3 10 10 10

0 0 0
0.444 0 0
0.444 0.254 0
0 0.254 0

3 10 10 10

0 0 0
0.444 0 0
0.444 0.254 0
0 0.254 0

Why is the top definition, using brightdata, produce a color distorted image, that has no luminance? Advice on modelling a monitor will be much appreciated!
I originally posted this on the developer forum but received no replies so I posted this on the general forum.

Thank you for your time,
Andrei Kolomenski

Hi Andrei,

This probably belongs on the radiance-general list, since it's not really a code issue. I am cross-posting there.

There may be something amiss with your Mockup_Lamp_BeamPattern.dat file to brightdata. How did you create this file, and what values are in it?

I don't know why this would affect the colors, unless there is clipping going on in your rendered images. This could just be a magnitude issue.

-Greg

···

From: "Kolomenski, Andrei (JSC-SF311)[WYLE LABORATORIES, INC.]" <[email protected]>
Date: June 28, 2016 2:04:10 PM PDT
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Hello Radiance Experts,

I want to model an LED monitor with a measured beam pattern. Also, I want to superimpose an image on the monitor such that the light projected through the image is affected by the monitor’s beam pattern.

I’m running into trouble with my current procedure (INCORRECT IMAGE COLORS - TOP IMAGE), it produces a monitor image that appears to be color inverted, also the image surface has 0 radiance even though it is applied to a light primitive that has a radiance definition.

See top display image doesn’t look like the bottom one, also the top image has no light output: https://s31.postimg.org/8cal8he6j/Monitor_Dif.png

1 1

3 10 10 10

0 0 0
0.444 0 0
0.444 0.254 0
0 0.254 0

3 10 10 10

0 0 0
0.444 0 0
0.444 0.254 0
0 0.254 0

Thank you for your time,
Andrei Kolomenski