Modeling a building with extensive electric lighting?

Anyone used Radiance and, perhaps, Rhino to do this. Or am I crazy and in need of a copy of AGI32?

What’s that mean, “extensive”? Lots of lights in a small area? Lots of lights? What are you looking to get out of the simulation? You can do a lot with glow and illum to get very nice results with low source overhead, but you know as well as anyone there’s no free lunch with Radiance. If pretty pictures are the only goal, there are other ways. If a real tool for visual/photometric evaluation is the goal, and the space can be modeled reasonably intelligently, then the Radiance results are worth the effort.

If you want to stay in the Radiance ecosystem, ClimateStudio does a good job with electric lighting sources. But like Rob said, there’s no free lunch (it’s not free).

1 Like

ClimateStudio unfortunately isn’t in my budget, but thanks!

I’m running into limitations of geometric modeling in the non-charge system I’m using and, yes, I could afford a copy or short-term lease on AGI32, but this is a charity project and I figure donating my time ought to be enough. Besides, that has its own limitations.

So I was wondering if anyone was using Radiance for the job.

Honeybee is also good with large numbers of fixtures if you have IES files.

Thanks. I think I’ll give that a try.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try. I can generate estimated IES files if I have
to; I’ve been through that process.