memory errors in 3.4

Hi Lars,

You should check that you don't have a limit placed on your data size if you are getting out-of-memory errors. Run the command in csh or tcsh:

% limit

It should give you a list of resource limits currently in effect. If the datasize says anything besides "unlimited", you should run the command "unlimit datasize" before running Radiance. Better still, but such a command in your .cshrc or .tcshrc file in your home directory. If you are still getting out-of-memory errors after that, there is either a problem with your virtual memory size or a problem with Radiance.

Raphael wrote to tell me that ximage does a segmentation fault when you re-expose the image in his version of Linux. I found the problem -- a pointer was being freed twice due to a library call that either changed or always freed twice and no one noticed before. Anyway, I've fixed the problem and will quietly put it into this release rather than creating a patch, so you might want to download it again or patch it yourself if you have a slow connection with the following code change:

ray/src/px/x11image.c (line 781):
  free(ourdata);
change to:
  /* free(ourdata); This is done in XDestroyImage()! */

Then simply run "rmake install" in that directory, presuming you've run "makeall install" previously. Running "makeall install" again also works.

Regarding pcond and macbethcal, I don't know what the problem is, but I don't recommend this method anymore, anyway. Macbathcal works very well on calibrating input paths, but less well on calibrating output paths. Unfortunately, I don't have a really good solution to offer for this at the moment....

-Greg

Hi Greg!

That seams to be ok:

/home/lars> limit
cputime unlimited
filesize 512000 kbytes
datasize unlimited
stacksize 8192 kbytes
coredumpsize 0 kbytes
memoryuse unlimited
descriptors 250
memorylocked unlimited
maxproc 100
openfiles 250

The the alpha has 196 MB and fails in oconv, while my laptop with 128 MB
renders the scene. I willl take a look at the compile options I used when I
once installed radiance 3r2 on another alpha some time ago. Maybe it's a
problem with my options for compaq c 6.2.

CU, Lars.

···

Am Mittwoch, 30. Januar 2002 18:34 schrieben Sie:

Hi Lars,

You should check that you don't have a limit placed on your data size if
you are getting out-of-memory errors. Run the command in csh or tcsh:

% limit