Major Axis definition

Dear Group

I am looking into using tmesh.cal in order to map patterns onto polygons with a Radiance converter that I have written. In tmesh.cal, it defines the first argument as :

A1 = Major axis (0==X, 1==Y, 2==Z)

I have no clue to exactly what this is. Could anyone *coughGreg* provide an explaination of this.

Thanks

Marcus

···

Hi Marcus,

The "major axis" is the dominant component in the surface normal vector (the axis with the largest absolute value). Since barycentric coordinates are defined in two dimensions, I throw away the major axis direction as it is the one most perpendicular to the plane of the triangle, and I just use the other two. This is no less accurate than doing a fancy projection and a whole lot cheaper.

The functions defined in tmesh.h and tmesh.c in src/common/ should help you out.

-Greg

···

Date: March 2, 2004 11:31:17 AM PST

Dear Group

I am looking into using tmesh.cal in order to map patterns onto polygons with a Radiance converter that I have written. In tmesh.cal, it defines the first argument as :

A1 = Major axis (0==X, 1==Y, 2==Z)

I have no clue to exactly what this is. Could anyone *coughGreg* provide an explaination of this.

Thanks

Marcus