librtrad.a

Hi Greg, everyone,

From the 3.8 Release Notes:
"Renamed librt.a to librtrad.a, to avoid conflict on Solaris. Almost
everything now gets linked to -lrtrad instead of -lrt."

I just tried compiling the new source on a SuSe box here, and got a bunch of "cannot find -ltrad" errors. Do I need to be doing something different, here?

- Rob

Hi Rob,

You're not the first to make the mistake of using Windows in a misguided attempt to get some work done...

End of line in Unix is "line-feed" (hex 0A), "carriage-return" (hex 0D) in pre-X MacOS, and carriage-return followed by line-feed in Windows (inherited from DOS, inherited from CP/M). This has caused more headaches over the years than just about all the other divergent standards combined, including the '/' '\' stupidity between DOS/VAX and Unix.

-Greg

···

Date: October 26, 2006 4:13:49 PM PDT

Gregory J. Ward wrote:

Hi Rob,

This is really peculiar, and I don't know how it got in there, but the backslash on a line by itself should actually be on the line just above it. Somehow, the name of LIBDIR got mangled or got a line-feed or carriage-return stuck in there. Just take it out, and try running "rmake install" in the src/common directory again to see if that fixes it.

Well then I got a bunch of "no rule to make target" errors. Hmmm. I started over, and it wanted to make another botched rmake script. This time I corrected the script before makeall ran, and it worked, but I still got a couple of "no rule" errors. I think the problem is that I unpacked the source archive using a Windows utility (sorry). I will try this all over again from the shell.
(tried)

Yeah, I'm an idiot. Once I unpacked the source from Linux, and re-issued makeall install, it worked as advertised. Imagine that! Thanks Greg, sorry for the trouble.
- Rob

Hi Rob,

You're not the first to make the mistake of using Windows in a misguided attempt to get some work done...

Ha!

End of line in Unix is "line-feed" (hex 0A), "carriage-return" (hex 0D) in pre-X MacOS, and carriage-return followed by line-feed in Windows (inherited from DOS, inherited from CP/M). This has caused more headaches over the years than just about all the other divergent standards combined, including the '/' '\' stupidity between DOS/VAX and Unix.

Cool, thanks for the education on the various EOL variants, but I'm really a lot more excited about the fact that my calling myself an idiot is now a matter of public record, on the radiance-online archives. Excellent! =8-)

- Rob

···

On Oct 26, 2006, at 5:23 PM, Gregory J. Ward wrote: