libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.10' not found

Hi all,
I was making an easy test of this kind
objview matfile.rad object1.rad
with one material and one object as in ‘Radiance Prime’.
I got this issue
oconv -f matfile.rad object1.rad /tmp/d_X9Rh4TQt/lt2519.rad > /tmp/d_X9Rh4TQt/ov2519.oct
rvu -vtv -vp 25 25 20 -vd -10 -10 -10 -vu 0 0 1 -vh 45 -vv 45 -dp 128 -ar 16 -ds 0 -dt .2 -dc .25 -dr 0 -ss 0 -st .5 -af /tmp/d_X9Rh4TQt/af2519.amb -aa .3 -ad 256 -as 0 -av 1 1 1 -lr 6 -lw .003 -ps 8 -pt .16 -R /tmp/d_X9Rh4TQt/ov2519.rif -o x11 -pe .5 /tmp/d_X9Rh4TQt/ov2519.oct
rvu: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.10’ not found (required by rvu)
rad: error running rvu

Have you encountered this before?
I am working with Ubuntu on VirtualBox. Thank you very much in advance!

This is not an answer to your problem but an alternative solution to run Radiance on Ubuntu on Windows 10. Why don’t you use Windows Subsystem for Liunx?

Another option is to use Docker for Windows.

https://store.docker.com/editions/community/docker-ce-desktop-windows

Finally for most part you will be fine by using Radiance bindings for Windows (Thanks @Rob_Guglielmetti). Why do you need to use Radiance on Ubuntu in the first place?

I am guessing that your version of rvu for Linux was somehow compiled with the Qt driver, which is not needed if you have X11. I suppose you will either need to recompile yourself and leave off the Qt driver, or install the Qt package it is asking for.

Hi Greg,
Thank you for you help!

I have checked the folder the terminal is pointing to and it seems like the file is 5.9.5, so a bit older then needed. I have thus installed the Qt package 5.10.0 and found the file the terminal is looking for. The problem is that the file now is in home/myusername folder.
I have thus set a variable for the library in .profile : export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/danka/Qt5.10.0/5.10.0/gcc_64/lib/

The first issue is solved, but now I get this:
rvu: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.56: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
This file is present in the path added but it seems like cannot be opened…
I see in the properties that the file is of the type ‘Link to shared library (application/x-sharedlib)’, would this suggest something?

Thank you for your help! (sorry for constantly editing as I reach a new stage)

Thank you for your help!
I was considering the Windows subsystem but was not sure it allowed for multiprocessing. As I have read many posts suggesting Ubuntu on Virtualbox as a good solution already well tested, preferable to the Windows version, I decided to start with it to practice :slight_smile:

I think we need to look at this in our build system. We build rvu with Qt support by default on all platforms, but maybe we shouldn’t. Or if we do, we should make sure the libraries are being properly included. It appears that at least on linux, they are not. Or, something. Sorry I don’t have time to look at this immediately.

Hi Rob,
Do you have any suggestion concerning this last error?:

rvu: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.56: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/danka/Qt5.10.0/5.10.0/gcc_64/lib/ pointing at the place where the file actually exists, but it seems not to work.

Thank you for your help!

Hi all,
I manage to solve this issue adding the path in the baschrc file.¨

Thank you for your help

1 Like

Thanks for your perseverance @danka! I will try and find time to sort this issue out. Clearly, the binary tarball is not exactly the best-packaged item on our menu at the moment.

I am guessing that your version of rvu for Linux was somehow compiled with the Qt driver, which is not needed if you have X11

I think I need to rethink the way rvu gets built. I think if Qt is not detected on the build system, an x11-only version of rvu is built on *nix. But NREL’s build machines do have Qt, and under that scenario, the *nix rvu is built with support for both display drivers. My sense is that most people on *nix don’t really care about the Qt version of rvu though, it was mainly added to support Windows. We should probably be building rvu as X11-only by default, on *nix systems. Consider it added to the todo list, just way down there. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks Rob! I really look forward to using it!

Did you run the cmake build script? It’s a bit cavalier about including Qt on Unix machines.

Like I said, we need to revisit some things.