Legend falsecolor?

Hi,

We are 2 students structural engineer from Belgium.
We have a question about falsecolor. We have to make a simulation of skies.
Therefore we have to put several skies together (without the legend) to make
this simulation. Is there anyway to create a pic-file with falsecolor without
a legend?

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards

Katrien Smets
Erik Morel

[email protected]
[email protected]

···

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gestuurd via het webmailsysteem van het De Nayer Instituut: www.denayer.be

I often resort to using pcompos to cut off the legend or convert it to TIFF and edit it in Photoshop or the like.

Rob Guglielmetti wrote a vartiation that should go into the next release that allows one to alter the dimensions of the legend, and I'll make sure that it allows zero dimensions to cut it off.

-Greg

···

Date: March 4, 2004 2:12:41 AM PST

Hi,

We are 2 students structural engineer from Belgium.
We have a question about falsecolor. We have to make a simulation of skies.
Therefore we have to put several skies together (without the legend) to make
this simulation. Is there anyway to create a pic-file with falsecolor without
a legend?

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards

Katrien Smets
Erik Morel

this simulation. Is there anyway to create a pic-file with falsecolor without a legend?

As a quick workaround and since it's a shell script, you may want to change some lines and the legend is gone:
For those so inclined: remove the references to "$td/scol.pic 0 0 -t .2 $td/slab.pic 0 $loff" in the last lines of falsocolor, so that

if ( $?doextrem ) then
         pextrem -o $picture > $td/extrema
         set minpos=`sed 2d $td/extrema | rcalc -e '$2=$2;$1=$1+'"$legwidth"`
         set minval=`rcalc -e '$1=($3*.27+$4*.67+$5*.06)*'"$mult" $td/extrema | sed -e 2d -e 's/\(\.[0-9][0-9][0-9]\)[0-9]*/\1/'`
         set maxpos=`sed 1d $td/extrema | rcalc -e '$2=$2;$1=$1+'"$legwidth"`
         set maxval=`rcalc -e '$1=($3*.27+$4*.67+$5*.06)*'"$mult" $td/extrema | sed -e 1d -e 's/\(\.[0-9][0-9][0-9]\)[0-9]*/\1/'`
         psign -s -.15 -a 2 -h 16 $minval > $td/minv.pic
         psign -s -.15 -a 2 -h 16 $maxval > $td/maxv.pic
         pcomb $pc0args $pc1args $picture $cpict \
                 > pcompos $td/scol.pic 0 0 -t .2 $td/slab.pic 0 $loff \
                   - $legwidth 0 $td/minv.pic $minpos $td/maxv.pic $maxpos
else
                 > pcompos $td/scol.pic 0 0 -t .2 $td/slab.pic 0 $loff - $legwidth 0
endif

looks like

if ( $?doextrem ) then
         pextrem -o $picture > $td/extrema
         set minpos=`sed 2d $td/extrema | rcalc -e '$2=$2;$1=$1+'"$legwidth"`
         set minval=`rcalc -e '$1=($3*.27+$4*.67+$5*.06)*'"$mult" $td/extrema | sed -e 2d -e 's/\(\.[0-9][0-9][0-9]\)[0-9]*/\1/'`
         set maxpos=`sed 1d $td/extrema | rcalc -e '$2=$2;$1=$1+'"$legwidth"`
         set maxval=`rcalc -e '$1=($3*.27+$4*.67+$5*.06)*'"$mult" $td/extrema | sed -e 1d -e 's/\(\.[0-9][0-9][0-9]\)[0-9]*/\1/'`
         psign -s -.15 -a 2 -h 16 $minval > $td/minv.pic
         psign -s -.15 -a 2 -h 16 $maxval > $td/maxv.pic
                 > pcompos \
                   - 0 0 $td/minv.pic $minpos $td/maxv.pic $maxpos
else
         pcomb $pc0args $pc1args $picture $cpict
endif

slab.pic contains the labels, scol.pic holds the color background of the legend.
works for me, your mileage may vary.

-Peter

q (1.17 KB)

···

[email protected] wrote:

--
     pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
     [see web page to check digital email signature]

Greg Ward wrote:

I often resort to using pcompos to cut off the legend or convert it to TIFF and edit it in Photoshop or the like.

Rob Guglielmetti wrote a vartiation that should go into the next release that allows one to alter the dimensions of the legend, and I'll make sure that it allows zero dimensions to cut it off.

At the moment, with my modified falsecolor script, when we try to use a legend width and/or height of zero pcomb complains: "illegal output resolution". For added fun, if we use a value of 1-4 pixels we get the following: "system - Out of memory in makemap: No such file or directory".

Using values >= 5 for the legend height and/or width works just fine though. But even with just five pixels there's still a little sliver of black along the left edge. For truly legendless falsecolors, Peter's modification is the way to go, or of course Greg's original solution works too.

It'd be great if my modifications worked all the way down to zero. Maybe we could add a switch to make the legend optional.

···

----

Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org

I finally got around to checking in Rob's change that allows the legend size to be controlled in falsecolor. I made it so setting -lw (or -lh) to zero turns legend output off. This is now in the HEAD release, which will be available as a dump the day after tomorrow, I guess.

-Greg

···

Date: March 5, 2004 9:23:33 AM PST

Greg Ward wrote:

At the moment, with my modified falsecolor script, when we try to use a legend width and/or height of zero pcomb complains: "illegal output resolution". For added fun, if we use a value of 1-4 pixels we get the following: "system - Out of memory in makemap: No such file or directory".

Using values >= 5 for the legend height and/or width works just fine though. But even with just five pixels there's still a little sliver of black along the left edge. For truly legendless falsecolors, Peter's modification is the way to go, or of course Greg's original solution works too.

It'd be great if my modifications worked all the way down to zero. Maybe we could add a switch to make the legend optional.