install Radiance on Mac

Hello,

I am completely new to Radiance and I am trying to install it on my Mac. I have Yosemite 10.10.5. I have to use Radiance for my Master thesis.
I am already having a hard time in the installation. I am trying to follow the video tutorial on the official website but it refers to an old version (of both website and Mac software): everything is a little bit different and I am doing something wrong. I can’t even start: as I type the command -xzf in order to extract the files, the terminal says: “command not found”.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Is there an updated tutorial where I can see what I have to do step by step?
Thank you!

Marta

If you are trying to unzip the latest release, the command is most likely:

tar -zxf rad5R0all.tar.gz

-zxf is options for the tar command, and the file name being unzipped is at the end.

Here are my personal notes for installing on Mac and Linux (arrow > means command line, double quotes means replace with appropriate file name, brackets are notes):

1) install XCode from App Store
2) install X11

3) compile, by running these commands
> tar -xzf "radiance_release"
> tar -xzf "HEAD"
> cd ray/
> sudo ./makeall install
(use default, or direct to newly made 'bin' folder)
(use default, or direct to 'lib' folder)
> ./makeall library
(direct to 'lib' folder)

4) update your paths
> nano ~/.profile

Put these three lines in the .profile text file, replacing the appropriate paths. Your paths will look different, but they are the paths to the 'bin' 'lib' and 'doc' folders created during the installation. If you're on a Mac, the file will most likely be empty. If it's not empty, you can add these three lines anywhere in the file.

export PATH=/Users/chris/Applications/rad50/ray/bin:$PATH
export RAYPATH=.:/Users/chris/Applications/rad50/ray/lib
export MANPATH=/Users/chris/Applications/rad50/ray/doc/man

5) close and reopen terminal, and test installation

> which mkpmap
> man mkpmap

Download mark stock's benchmark, open a terminal, change to the appropriate directory, and type:
>tar -xf bench4.zip
> cd bench4
(for single core, type:)
>make
(for multi core, type:)
>NCPU=2; make smp

It will take a bit of practice and patience to get familiar with the Unix command line, so give it time and take plenty of breaks (I recommend going to the gym).

Hope this helps,
Chris

···

On 9/27/15 6:48 AM, Marta Benedetti wrote:

Hello,

I am completely new to Radiance and I am trying to install it on my Mac. I have Yosemite 10.10.5. I have to use Radiance for my Master thesis.
I am already having a hard time in the installation. I am trying to follow the video tutorial on the official website but it refers to an old version (of both website and Mac software): everything is a little bit different and I am doing something wrong. I can’t even start: as I type the command -xzf in order to extract the files, the terminal says: “command not found”.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Is there an updated tutorial where I can see what I have to do step by step?
Thank you!

Marta

I am still stuck on the first steps… as I type the command

I get the message:

tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open ‘rad5R0all.tar.gz'

What does it mean?

···

Il giorno 27/set/2015, alle ore 16:17, Chris Kallie <[email protected]> ha scritto:

-zxf is options for the tar command, and the file name being unzipped is at the end.

Here are my personal notes for installing on Mac and Linux (arrow > means command line, double quotes means replace with appropriate file name, brackets are notes):

2) install X11

> tar -xzf "HEAD"
> cd ray/
> sudo ./makeall install
> ./makeall library
(direct to 'lib' folder)

4) update your paths
> nano ~/.profile

Put these three lines in the .profile text file, replacing the appropriate paths. Your paths will look different, but they are the paths to the 'bin' 'lib' and 'doc' folders created during the installation. If you're on a Mac, the file will most likely be empty. If it's not empty, you can add these three lines anywhere in the file.

> which mkpmap
> man mkpmap

Download mark stock's benchmark, open a terminal, change to the appropriate directory, and type:
>tar -xf bench4.zip
> cd bench4
>make
>NCPU=2; make smp

It will take a bit of practice and patience to get familiar with the Unix command line, so give it time and take plenty of breaks (I recommend going to the gym).

Hope this helps,
Chris

Hello,

Thank you!

Marta

Where do you want the library files [/usr/local/lib/ray]?

What should I type?

···

Il giorno 27/set/2015, alle ore 17:16, Marta Benedetti <[email protected]> ha scritto:

I get the message:

What does it mean?

Il giorno 27/set/2015, alle ore 16:17, Chris Kallie <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> ha scritto:

2) install X11

> tar -xzf "HEAD"
> cd ray/
> sudo ./makeall install
> ./makeall library
(direct to 'lib' folder)

4) update your paths
> nano ~/.profile

> which mkpmap
> man mkpmap

>tar -xf bench4.zip
> cd bench4
>make
>NCPU=2; make smp

Hope this helps,
Chris

Hello,

Thank you!

Marta

Hi Marta,

You should just download and use the package installer from NREL:

https://github.com/NREL/Radiance/releases/tag/5.0

It's much easier than compiling from source for those not used to such things. Since you're on a standard OS X distribution, you should have no problem. The recommendations for installing X11 and the developer tools still apply, however.

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] install Radiance on Mac
Date: September 27, 2015 8:22:25 AM PDT

What should I type?

Il giorno 27/set/2015, alle ore 17:16, Marta Benedetti <[email protected]> ha scritto:

I get the message:

What does it mean?

Il giorno 27/set/2015, alle ore 16:17, Chris Kallie <[email protected]> ha scritto:

2) install X11

> tar -xzf "HEAD"
> cd ray/
> sudo ./makeall install
> ./makeall library
(direct to 'lib' folder)

4) update your paths
> nano ~/.profile

> which mkpmap
> man mkpmap

>tar -xf bench4.zip
> cd bench4
>make
>NCPU=2; make smp

Hope this helps,
Chris

Hello,

Thank you!

Marta

P.S. Scroll down the page to find the "Darwin" disk image, which is for Mac OS X (code named "Darwin" by developers, not by us).

···

Date: September 27, 2015 8:31:39 AM PDT

Hi Marta,

It's much easier than compiling from source for those not used to such things. Since you're on a standard OS X distribution, you should have no problem. The recommendations for installing X11 and the developer tools still apply, however.

Cheers,
-Greg

Bello greg,
That's what I did, I downloaded the pre-compiled binary for Mac OSX. So what should I do next?
I can't create libraries and so on because I have absolutely no idea how to do... I want to cry!
Sorry but I feel completely ignorant in this subject.

Marta

···

Il giorno 27 set 2015, alle ore 17:32, Greg Ward <[email protected]> ha scritto:

Hi Marta,

Cheers,
-Greg

What should I type?

I get the message:

What does it mean?

2) install X11

> tar -xzf "HEAD"
> cd ray/
> sudo ./makeall install
> ./makeall library
(direct to 'lib' folder)

4) update your paths
> nano ~/.profile

> which mkpmap
> man mkpmap

>tar -xf bench4.zip
> cd bench4
>make
>NCPU=2; make smp

Hope this helps,
Chris

Hello,

Thank you!

Marta

Marta,

Not too many years ago, I was in the same place as you, and I fortunately had help from Rob Shakespeare (one of the authors of the book "Rendering with Radiance"). So, the least I can do is pass on the knowledge to the next generation of users. If you are still stuck after some trial and error, I would be happy to help out via personal communication.

If one looks back on the archives of this list, there is a constant exodus of young users who disappear after they get their masters/PhD's, so I am playing my part to take some of the burden off the senior developers by offering a little help here and there to the new users...

PS. for those who have read this far: How is the new knowledge base platform working? I was happy to hear there were some recent efforts, but I haven't seen or heard about it for a few weeks.

Best,
Chris

···

On 9/27/15 11:37 AM, Marta Benedetti wrote:

Bello greg,
That's what I did, I downloaded the pre-compiled binary for Mac OSX. So what should I do next?
I can't create libraries and so on because I have absolutely no idea how to do... I want to cry!

Marta

Il giorno 27 set 2015, alle ore 17:32, Greg Ward > <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> ha scritto:

Hi Marta,

Cheers,
-Greg

*From: *Marta Benedetti <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>

*Subject: *Re: [Radiance-general] install Radiance on Mac

*Date: *September 27, 2015 8:22:25 AM PDT

What should I type?

Il giorno 27/set/2015, alle ore 17:16, Marta Benedetti >>>> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> ha scritto:

I am still stuck on the first steps� as I type the command

I get the message:

tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open �rad5R0all.tar.gz'

What does it mean?

Il giorno 27/set/2015, alle ore 16:17, Chris Kallie >>>>> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> ha scritto:

2) install X11

> tar -xzf "HEAD"
> cd ray/
> sudo ./makeall install
> ./makeall library
(direct to 'lib' folder)

4) update your paths
> nano ~/.profile

> which mkpmap
> man mkpmap

>tar -xf bench4.zip
> cd bench4
>make
>NCPU=2; make smp

Hope this helps,
Chris

Hello,

I am already having a hard time in the installation. I am trying to follow the video tutorial on the official website but it refers to an old version (of both website and Mac software): everything is a little bit different and I am doing something wrong. I can�t even start: as I type the command -xzf in order to extract the files, the terminal says: �command not found�.
Thank you!

Marta

Hi Chris,

I had replied to one of those emails from afternoon. I think the Penn State
webmail server isn't smart enough to figure out the difference between
personal emails and mailing lists.Anyway, my reply is below..

Actually, if you got as far as "Where do you want the library files.", you
can just follow along with Andy's video from around the 4:59 mark..

Instead of typing any directory or path names you can just keep pressing
enter( or return) to select the default options.

···

Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2015 6:15 PM
To: [email protected]

Marta,

Not too many years ago, I was in the same place as you, and I fortunately
had help from Rob Shakespeare (one of the authors of the book "Rendering
with Radiance"). So, the least I can do is pass on the knowledge to the next
generation of users. If you are still stuck after some trial and error, I
would be happy to help out via personal communication.

If one looks back on the archives of this list, there is a constant exodus
of young users who disappear after they get their masters/PhD's, so I am
playing my part to take some of the burden off the senior developers by
offering a little help here and there to the new users...

PS. for those who have read this far: How is the new knowledge base platform
working? I was happy to hear there were some recent efforts, but I haven't
seen or heard about it for a few weeks.

Best,
Chris

On 9/27/15 11:37 AM, Marta Benedetti wrote:

Bello greg,

That's what I did, I downloaded the pre-compiled binary for Mac OSX. So what
should I do next?

I can't create libraries and so on because I have absolutely no idea how to
do... I want to cry!

Marta

Il giorno 27 set 2015, alle ore 17:32, Greg Ward <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > ha scritto:

Hi Marta,

It's much easier than compiling from source for those not used to such
things. Since you're on a standard OS X distribution, you should have no
problem. The recommendations for installing X11 and the developer tools
still apply, however.

Cheers,

-Greg

[email protected]>

What should I type?

Il giorno 27/set/2015, alle ore 17:16, Marta Benedetti <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > ha scritto:

I am still stuck on the first steps. as I type the command

I get the message:

tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open 'rad5R0all.tar.gz'

What does it mean?

Il giorno 27/set/2015, alle ore 16:17, Chris Kallie <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > ha scritto:

-zxf is options for the tar command, and the file name being unzipped is at
the end.

Here are my personal notes for installing on Mac and Linux (arrow > means
command line, double quotes means replace with appropriate file name,
brackets are notes):

2) install X11

tar -xzf "radiance_release"
tar -xzf "HEAD"
cd ray/
sudo ./makeall install

./makeall library

(direct to 'lib' folder)

4) update your paths

nano ~/.profile

Put these three lines in the .profile text file, replacing the appropriate
paths. Your paths will look different, but they are the paths to the 'bin'
'lib' and 'doc' folders created during the installation. If you're on a Mac,
the file will most likely be empty. If it's not empty, you can add these
three lines anywhere in the file.

which mkpmap
man mkpmap

Download mark stock's benchmark, open a terminal, change to the appropriate
directory, and type:

tar -xf bench4.zip
cd bench4

make

NCPU=2; make smp

It will take a bit of practice and patience to get familiar with the Unix
command line, so give it time and take plenty of breaks (I recommend going
to the gym).

Hope this helps,
Chris

Hello,

I am completely new to Radiance and I am trying to install it on my Mac. I
have Yosemite 10.10.5. I have to use Radiance for my Master thesis.
I am already having a hard time in the installation. I am trying to follow
the video tutorial on the official website but it refers to an old version
(of both website and Mac software): everything is a little bit different and
I am doing something wrong. I can't even start: as I type the command -xzf
in order to extract the files, the terminal says: "command not found".
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Is there an updated tutorial where I
can see what I have to do step by step?
Thank you!

Marta

http://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-general

http://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-general

Hi Marta,

Sorry this is all so confusing! Sounds like you grabbed the pre-built binaries from the NREL site. Let’s see if we can get you the rest of the way.

1. Make sure you have the right installer. If you’re on MacOS, you want this one:

https://github.com/NREL/Radiance/releases/download/5.0/radiance-5.0.0-Darwin.dmg

2. Double-click the installer ("radiance-5.0.0-Darwin.dmg”), and then double-click the file inside ("radiance-5.0.0-Darwin.pkg”). Click “continue”, three times. Finally, click “install” to run the installer accepting the default location(s) for everything.

You now have Radiance installed on your mac. What this really means is that you have a while bunch of files installed to the following locations:

/usr/local/radiance/bin (the Radiance executables — of which there are many, and ironically none of which are called “Radiance”)
/usr/local/radiance/lib (the Radiance “library folder” which contains loads of other important files used by Radiance)
/usr/local/radiance/man (the Radiance “man pages”, or manual pages — the main documentation to the Radiance programs

At this point, nothing actually works yet. =/ But, you’re close...

3. Next you need to add "/usr/local/radiance/bin” to your system path, and you need to create a new system variable called “RAYPATH” and set it to "/usr/local/radiance/lib”. You can/should also add "/usr/local/radiance/man” to your MANPATH system variable. You can see Andy McNeil demonstrate using “pico” to do this, starting at 7:38 in the video here:

NOTE: Be sure to use the paths I mention in this email and not the ones in Andy’s video.

After you do these three steps, you will have Radiance installed and functional. Then the fun really begins. =) Be sure to check out the tutorials here:

http://www.radiance-online.org/learning/tutorials

…and post any questions either here on this list, or over on Unmet Hours (https://unmethours.com/questions/). There are plenty of folks who are still here answering questions and offering advice, long after getting Ph.D.s. Matter of fact, some of us never even got Masters degrees. Still here.

-Rob

···

Reply: Radiance general discussion <[email protected]>>
Date: September 27, 2015 at 9:37:50 AM
To: Radiance general discussion <[email protected]>>

Bello greg,

Marta

Il giorno 27 set 2015, alle ore 17:32, Greg Ward <[email protected]> ha scritto:

Hi Marta,

Cheers,
-Greg

What should I type?

I get the message:

What does it mean?

2) install X11

tar -xzf "radiance_release"
tar -xzf "HEAD"
cd ray/
sudo ./makeall install

./makeall library

(direct to 'lib' folder)

4) update your paths

nano ~/.profile

which mkpmap
man mkpmap

tar -xf bench4.zip
cd bench4

make

NCPU=2; make smp

Hope this helps,
Chris

Hello,

Thank you!

Marta

Hi, I have been struggling to install Radiance on my Mac Os as well.
So far I have only been using it on a Windows PC. I have seen many references to Andy McNeil video in the posts that are a few years old but the video is not currently available and I couldn’t figure how to define the variable and set the paths.
I have downloaded the latest version from NREL. When I used the .pkg* file I couldn’t find the Radiance folder including the bin, lib and man on my Macintosh HD under user (or anywhere else?!), while the installation was successfully completed.
But with the OSX.zip* file all the folders are already there after extraction, but do I need any kinds of installation?
And I am not sure how to start executing commands on Mac, how do I start Radiance on Mac Terminal?

I would appreciate your help.

Have you downloaded the binaries from LBNL? The NREL binaries have not been updated in some time; that whole project (code support, installer builds, testing) has been moved entirely to a different GitHub repository at LBNL’s site, and it’s my understanding that the MacOS installer(s) have been improved quite a bit, handling the path stuff automatically for you.

Check here and you will see there is a current installer just two days old.