input luminance (cd/m2) into HDR image via Photosphere

hello all,

I am experimenting with high dynamic range imaging and glare analysis. I am attempting to input a luminance value (cd/m2) into an HDR image with Photosphere software. The ultimate goal is to save a .hdr file to bring into Evalgare.

I've used an luminance meter to record the cd/m2 in the room and now I'm trying to pick that same spot on the HDR image and calibrate the luminance within the Apply Menu of Photophere. Trouble is the Apply button is grayed out.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you. Ben

If the "apply" button is greyed out, then I think the image you have loaded is not an HDR image - or Photosphere doesn't think it is. How did you create the image you're trying to calibrate?

- Rob

···

On 4/21/16, 8:54 AM, "Andrews, Ben" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

hello all,

I am experimenting with high dynamic range imaging and glare analysis. I am attempting to input a luminance value (cd/m2) into an HDR image with Photosphere software. The ultimate goal is to save a .hdr file to bring into Evalgare.

I've used an luminance meter to record the cd/m2 in the room and now I'm trying to pick that same spot on the HDR image and calibrate the luminance within the Apply Menu of Photophere. Trouble is the Apply button is grayed out.

Thank you. Ben

The other possibility is that you have not selected an area. Selecting a point will not work -- you need to select a small rectangle of pixels to average. Otherwise, the calibration would not be reliable due to noise at each pixel.

Don't forget to re-save your image once you have calibrated. You should also assign the VIEW parameters if it is a fisheye view, as this is the source of a lot of errors with evalglare.

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Subject: Re: [HDRI] input luminance (cd/m2) into HDR image via Photosphere
Date: April 21, 2016 8:36:41 AM PDT
To: High Dynamic Range Imaging <[email protected]>

If the "apply" button is greyed out, then I think the image you have loaded is not an HDR image - or Photosphere doesn't think it is. How did you create the image you're trying to calibrate?

- Rob

On 4/21/16, 8:54 AM, "Andrews, Ben" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

hello all,

Thank you. Ben

Greg,

Thank you for your help. The problem was the creation of the small rectangle. I was clicking on the image where the luminance meter was focused, but I didn't realize I need to draw a rectangle or box.

Thanks again,
Ben

···

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:42 PM

The other possibility is that you have not selected an area. Selecting a point will not work -- you need to select a small rectangle of pixels to average. Otherwise, the calibration would not be reliable due to noise at each pixel.

Don't forget to re-save your image once you have calibrated. You should also assign the VIEW parameters if it is a fisheye view, as this is the source of a lot of errors with evalglare.

Cheers,
-Greg

Date: April 21, 2016 8:36:41 AM PDT

- Rob

hello all,

Thank you. Ben

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your help. The problem was the creation of the small rectangle. I was clicking on the HDR image where the luminance meter was focused, but I didn't realize I needed to hold down the left button mouse button and draw a rectangle/box.

Thanks again,
Ben

···

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 11:37 AM

- Rob

hello all,

Thank you. Ben