Can I ask, If there is any programe to tilt the actuall IES file and than
put it into Radiance or is there any possibility to rotate or tilt an IES
file in Radiance ? Any tips and hints?

Thanks a lot
Kind regards,

Peter Zatko

1 Like

Hi Peter,

I am assuming you have Type C photometry files, perhaps some for a directional, amiable luminaire like a track fixture or something like that. In this case you would convert the ies file to radiance format using ies2ead, and then do your tilting and rotating using the Radiance xform utility to do translations.

See:
http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/man_html/ies2rad.1.html
and
http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/man_html/xform.1.html

There are also extensive examples of how to aim luminaries in Rob Shakespeare's art gallery tutorial in Rendering With Radiance.

hth,

- Rob

···

On 3/2/15, 2:04 AM, "Peter Zaťko" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

Hi there,

I'm new here and actually I'm doing interior visualiyations with a proper IES light, and in some cases I need to tilt them or rotate, and I realized that is not allowed. I searched then for some tilted files but there are not existing for my luminaries.
Can I ask, If there is any programe to tilt the actuall IES file and than put it into Radiance or is there any possibility to rotate or tilt an IES file in Radiance ? Any tips and hints?

Thanks a lot
Kind regards,

Peter Zatko

1 Like

The xform command can shift, rotate, tilt, and array the .rad file definition that gets created from ies2rad. Please write again if you have any trouble finding the manual page for it.

The .rad file that comes from ies2rad represents the geometry of the IES file – and makes reference to a data translation of the luminaire intensity. You should also get such a .dat file out of ies2rad, but shouldn’t have to perform any actions on this because it’s a data reference into the .rad file rather than a geometry that must be rotated.

There’s also the replmarks command which can be helpful for locating light sources if you’re exporting a model from some other modeling software.

Can I ask, If there is any programe to tilt the actuall IES file and than put it into Radiance or is there any possibility to rotate or tilt an IES file in Radiance ? Any tips and hints?

···