How to Change Radiance Viewport?

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to change the Radiance viewport. As you can see, the facade was facing the opposite side of my eyesight, so I couldn’t really see the details. I was told I could use the “View” component from LadyBug, but I’m not sure which component was that.

So, if any of you know how to fix this, please help me.

Yeah, so, ah…

The view controls in the Radiance toolkit are not terribly intuitive or interractive. You are in the right place (rvu), but you have to define your view in terms of view type (t), viewpoint (vp(x,y,z)), view direction (vd(x,y,z)), horizontal and vertical angles (vh, vv). View type is usually perspective but we also tend to use the parallel projection for sections and plan views, plots, etc. You can also set a clipping plane so that you can see thru surfaces, etc. It’s very powerful and you have really precise control over the view definitions (which you can save), but it’s probably not what you’re used to, i.e. you can’t just drag or spin your model in the rvu program.

I do believe Ladybug offers tools that will let you save a view you’ve set up in Revit or whatever, as a proper Radiance view file. I’m certain there are others as well.

1 Like

I assume you are using Grasshopper. You can use the component to create the view. If you want to write the view to a file here is one example.

You can write the view object to a Radiance file with a custom Python component. Here is an example. If you create a similar topic over on the Ladybug Tools Discourse I can upload the Grasshopper file as an attachment.

The view file can be used in the rvu program by loading it under File > Load View.

3 Likes

Hi, Mikkel. I’ve asked the same topic under the same username. I would appreciate it so much if you could attach the GH file. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like