good day to you sir

Hello Shiya,

I am forwarding your question to the radiance-general mailing list, where I think there may be others interested in this problem, some of whom may have a good idea or may have done something similar and could be of help. If you are not subscribed to this group already, please go to

http://www.radiance-online.org

and sign up. There is no fee associated with membership, but there are many benefits. (Note to others -- please CC Shiya on your response in case she's not yet on the list.)

Date: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:21:46 AM US/Pacific
To: [email protected]
Subject: good day to you sir

Dear sir,
I'm a beginner in Radiance and i'm working on it as a part of my project work.I've simulated some figures using Aotucad and then imported materials from radiance library,i've used desktop radiance in windows.i've completed the simulation successfully,and got the luxlevels and the rendered image of the model createdi'm facing a major problem in proceeding forward with my project. The initial aim of my project is based on collecting the daylighting and electrical lighting lux levels for a time period of two months or so..inorder to integrate both daylight and electric light and apply the conrols.But,i'm unable to collect the continous data for a specific day with a given sky condition.Is there any way in which i get the continous lux levels for a specified day if i give the required intervals?also i would like to know how to apply the controls to the model if i'm simulating using electrical lighting.Is there any possibility of appling dimming strategies?Please reply to this mail,since i'm badly in need of information from you.
                   Thanking you,
shiya kuriachan.

If I understand your question correctly, you are attempting to design some daylighting control strategies or algorithms for a specific space, and need a continuous representation of daylight throughout the day and/or year. I know that Christophe Reinhart has developed a system for the efficient calculation of annual daylight in Radiance, but I'm not sure if it could be easily adapted to your application. You can find out more about it on the above radiance-online site under "add-ons," I believe.

If it were me, I would first ensure that I had arrived at a sufficient set of calculation parameters for rtrace, then apply them in separately computing illuminance levels at the workplane for the electric lighting zones I had control over, and daylight levels throughout the day at specific intervals. I would then interpolate the resulting daylight values for in-between times of day, and use multipliers on the electric lighting zones in accordance with the available dimming/control levels. Solving for the desired workplane illuminance would then be a fairly straightforward linear optimization problem.

The difficulty is of course in the details, but this is one possible approach.
-Greg