glare index

Dear all

I am going to do a research in Stuttgart university about the effect of daylight in visual comfort at schools,

For that I need a reliable glare prediction index, would you please tell me which one of the existing glare indices which are used in Radiance is better for that reason.

As I know Jan Wienold and his colleges are providing a new glare index which is "daylight glare probability dgp".

Considering that it has been provided for office spaces, and the difference between office visual tasks and classroom visual task (I mean the blackboard), is it possible to use it for evaluating glare in classrooms as well?

Thanks alot

Niloofar

Dear Niloofar,

there are two aspects, you should take into consideration:
1. Direct glare from the facade (-> discomfort glare). This aspect could be considered by using the daylight glare probability DGP. The DGP does not take into account reflection glare on computer screens, only the discomfort glare caused by the facade. Of course, it is derived from user assessments doing a visual task on VDUs. But due to the design of the experiments, the results of the DGP should be more general. Therefore I would say it can be used also in other environments (e.g. classrooms).
2. Contrast reduction on the blackboard by having specular reflections and veiling luminance. For this aspect, a detailed modeling of the reflection properties of a blackboard is necessary first. Then, a visibility and contrast study should be done on hourly basis or at least for typical daily profiles.

Evalglare will be public soon (next weeks, as soon as our new Web site is ready) - in the meanwhile I send it directly to you in an extra email.

Good luck!

Jan

Niloofar Moghbel wrote:

···

Dear all

I am going to do a research in Stuttgart university about the effect of daylight in visual comfort at schools,

For that I need a reliable glare prediction index, would you please tell me which one of the existing glare indices which are used in Radiance is better for that reason.

As I know Jan Wienold and his colleges are providing a new glare index which is "daylight glare probability dgp".

Considering that it has been provided for office spaces, and the difference between office visual tasks and classroom visual task (I mean the blackboard), is it possible to use it for evaluating glare in classrooms as well?

Thanks alot

Niloofar

------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Dipl.-Ing. Jan Wienold
Project Manager
Fraunhofer-Institut f�r Solare Energiesysteme
Thermal Systems and Buildings, Lighting and Daylighting
Heidenhofstr. 2, 79110 Freiburg, Germany
Phone: +49(0)761 4588 5133 Fax:+49(0)761 4588 9133
[email protected]

In office: Mo,Tue: 9:00-18:00