Git for Windows and starting tutorials

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your help.

I have installed Git for Windows as you adviced :slight_smile: Now, Before I start with 3 or 5-phase tutorials, I'm thinking to go through "radiance tutorial" (by Axel Jacobs) as a beginner with almost a shallow knowledge/experience of radiance. So, do recommend this (radiance tutorial would be enough to start with 3 or 5-phase methods and understanding of BSDF data approach, etc) or advice another tutorial/source for better understanding of radiance basics (using command prompt)?

Many thanks again :slight_smile:

Regards
Ikrima

路路路

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 15:52:23 +0000
To: "[email protected]"
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽<[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Radiance-general Digest, Vol 137,
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Issue 8
Message-ID: <D1C542EA.1AE88%[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

OK so it sounds like you first tried the Windows installer (presumably a NREL-provided one such as this:
https://github.com/NREL/Radiance/releases/download/5.0.a.3/radiance-5.0.a-w
in64.exe), and this most likely worked fine, you just had some issues actually *doing* anything with it. This is normal. =)

I recommend you install Git for windows (https://msysgit.github.io/), as that will add a little BASH emulator in your Windows system. This way you can run most of the commands exactly as they appear in most of the tutorials out there that are written from a UNIX perspective (as you point out). If you run the "Git BASH shell" you will be able to try out all the multi-phase methods, use and generate BSDFs, etc. Once you have Git for Windows installed, head over to Andy McNeil's tutorials for 3- and 5-phase, fire up the Git BASH shell (it'll be in the Git program group in the Windows start menu), and get started!

One thing to keep in mind is that when running any commands that read/write data (e.g. rcontrib), be sure to use ASCII format rather than float. Windows has issues with float data (among many other things).

Good luck!

- Rob

On 7/10/15, 8:08 AM, "Ikrima Amaireh" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Robert,

My PC is running on Windows 7 Enterprise.
Initially, I installed Radiance for Window using its installer but I
found that most of the tutorials are provided for pc with Linux and/or
Linux-like operating systems; So I had to install try learnix (that did
not work) and Ubuntu (also did not work)!
Finally, I tried to use Cygwin to run Radiance on Window OS. I could
install Cygwin (works fine), Xming (not sure if working) and Radiance
(not all its programs are working!).

I'm a bit confused as I'm not sure if running Radiance on windows using
Cygwin will be enough for carrying my work. For example, can I work out
phases methods and generate BSDF data?

I wish if you can help me to do that.

Many thanks
ikrima

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 16:44:49 +0000
聽聽聽聽聽聽<[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Could not install Radiance!!!
Message-ID: <D1C400AC.1ADAC%[email protected]>

Hi Ikrima,

We'll need a bit more info, here. What OS are you on? How are you
attempting to install it (using an installer, compiling from source, or
what)? What happens when you try??

On 7/9/15, 10:38 AM, "Ikrima Amaireh" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi all,

After one a few weeks of trying, I could not manage to install
radiance properly. I am almost disappointed! Please any help?

Regards
Ikrima

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.

Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the
author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
permitted by UK legislation.

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 17:34:30 +0100
Cc: Ikrima Amaireh <[email protected]>
Subject: [Radiance-general] Modelling CFS
Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽<D697763F9F216044A99BC674C00561961358CA9BAF@EXCHANGE1.ad.nottingham.ac.uk>

Hi all,

Thanks Robert and Larrain for your detailed replies, that helped me a lot.

I would summarise here what I got form your appreciated replies, as following:
- Radiance is convenient and best of tools to model daylighting due to its ray-tracing method.
- 3 or 5-phases methods are used to facilitate the calculations.
- Generating BSDF data is also used to facilitate these calculations but it is limited to Klems resolution of some CFS.

Initially, I'm not planning to do annual calculations. It's just for specific hours of the day and the target is to produce a illuminance levels for indoor grid under different CFSs. Hence, according to my understanding from Larrain words, I can use either 2-phase or Ray-tracing methods. My question is how can I draw/define the CFS geometry and Space for these calculations? Is it similar to the way use in Ecotect/Radiance calculations?

Regards
Ikrima

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 09 July 2015 19:56
To: [email protected]
Subject: Radiance-general Digest, Vol 137, Issue 8

Send Radiance-general mailing list submissions to
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽[email protected]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽http://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-general
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

You can reach the person managing the list at

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Radiance-general digest..."

Today's Topics:

聽聽聽1. CFS with Radiance (Ikrima Amaireh)
聽聽聽2. Could not install Radiance!!! (Ikrima Amaireh)
聽聽聽3. Re: Could not install Radiance!!! (Guglielmetti, Robert)
聽聽聽4. Re: CFS with Radiance (Guglielmetti, Robert)
聽聽聽5. Re: CFS with Radiance (Germ?n Molina Larrain)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 17:26:29 +0100
Subject: [Radiance-general] CFS with Radiance
Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽<D697763F9F216044A99BC674C00561961358CA9710@EXCHANGE1.ad.nottingham.ac.uk>

Hi G. Larrain,

Thanks for your detailed clarification (below).

I wonder if you kindly can help me toward better understanding and answering the following:

We agreed that for daylight modelling of spaces with CFS, Radiance is a suitable tool as it applies ray-tracing method. And for annual and/or climate-based daylight calculations, as calculation time becomes a critical factor, using BSDF data for CFS is highly recommended to tackle the task with radiance (using phases methods). However:

- if someone needs to perform daylight calculations for given space with different CFS (different cases for comparison purposes) to get illumination levels for horizontal grid points (and not pictures nor scenes), is Radiance still the most convenient option?
- is it still needed to use any of the phase methods (2, 3 or 5)?
- most importantly, is it still needed to get BSDF data for CFS or just can model the detailed CFS in Radiance (and, if yes, how?)

Many thanks for your kind help :slight_smile:

Regards
Ikrima

"Ikrima,

I am going to try to build the puzzle of CFS, Phases, BSDF and calculations.... at least the way I understand it.

*CFS* are those systems that, via interreflection or other light transport phenomena, redirect light (or solar radiation). Thus, in order to get a reliable result you will have to consider all the phenomena involved.
Then, *common
simple performance indexes*, such as the miss-used Shading Coefficient and the Aperture Percentage, *always loose a lot of information, trying to reduce all the complex behavior of a CFS to one single number*. We all know that venetian blinds are more "transparent" from certain viewing directions than from others, but these performance indexes do not tell you that.

Now... Radiance can certainly perform calculations of spaces with CFS using its "common" Ray-tracing. However, this may be slow for some purposes (i.e.
annual simulations and climate-based daylight modelling), and *this is why 2, 3 and 5 phase methods have been developed*. The *BSDF* representation, I would say, goes in the same direction... It allow summarizing all the bounces, reflections, refractions, etc. that occure withing the CFS in a single matrix or tensor.* By using BSDFs*, Radiance itself and other tools (i.e. EnergyPlus) can treat CFS as blackboxes, avoiding all the opcits within the system. A BSDF that uses the Klems Full representation has
21,045 numbers (instead of one, such as the Shading Coefficient).

Being said all that, I would not trust a calculation method unless it can actually deal with the optics of a CFS that is drawn and/or it can use BSDF (or similar) information.

Lets remember that a perforated screen, a venetian blind, a light diffusing device can all have a Shading Coefficient of 50%, but all of them will behave very differently. I made some presentations about this on my previous work (we sold complex Shading Devices), trying to promote the use of BSDF in EnergyPlus calculations... the differences (in solar heat gains) were more than considerable.

I hope that someone else gives us his/her perspective on this topic...
there are a lot of concepts that I might be misunderstanding.

Best!"

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.

Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 17:38:41 +0100
Subject: [Radiance-general] Could not install Radiance!!!
Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽<D697763F9F216044A99BC674C00561961358CA9719@EXCHANGE1.ad.nottingham.ac.uk>

Hi all,

After one a few weeks of trying, I could not manage to install radiance properly. I am almost disappointed! Please any help?

Regards
Ikrima

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.

Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

Hi Ikrima,

We'll need a bit more info, here. What OS are you on? How are you attempting to install it (using an installer, compiling from source, or what)? What happens when you try??

Hi all,

After one a few weeks of trying, I could not manage to install radiance
properly. I am almost disappointed! Please any help?

Regards
Ikrima

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 17:29:39 +0000
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] CFS with Radiance
Message-ID: <D1C40477.1ADCA%[email protected]>

Some very quick replies and clarifications within:

On 7/9/15, 10:26 AM, "Ikrima Amaireh" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi G. Larrain,

I wonder if you kindly can help me toward better understanding and
answering the following:

We agreed that for daylight modelling of spaces with CFS, Radiance is a
suitable tool as it applies ray-tracing method. And for annual and/or
climate-based daylight calculations, as calculation time becomes a
critical factor, using BSDF data for CFS is highly recommended to
tackle the task with radiance (using phases methods). However:

BSDF data in an annual simulation context is generally limited to Klems basis BSDF data, which may not be high enough resolution for some CFS. And the 5-phase method, which can circumvent this, is not necessarily "quick".
This is all still very much a quandary and the newest daylight metrics have added confusion to all of this, IMO.

- if someone needs to perform daylight calculations for given space
with different CFS (different cases for comparison purposes) to get
illumination levels for horizontal grid points (and not pictures nor
scenes), is Radiance still the most convenient option?

Absolutely. The lack of an image-as-output requirement does not change the fact that ray tracing is a good/convenient algorithm option for daylight simulation problems, especially when dealing with diffusing media and CFS in general. BSDFs allow you to do lots of "what-ifs", relatively quickly, but are beholden to the limitations of the resolution of the BSDF.

Is what still needed? BSDF data? Ray tracing? I don't know of other lighting simulation tools that can employ the multiphase methods. I would say BSDF data is optional for 2-phase, required for 3-phase, and optional for 5-phase.

- most importantly, is it still needed to get BSDF data for CFS or just
can model the detailed CFS in Radiance (and, if yes, how?)

Again I'm confused as to what "it" is. A couple of approaches are available to you in general. If you have a geometric model of the CFS you can use Radiance (genBSDF) to make a BSDF of the CFS and use that in a 3- or 5-phase context. However in an annual/climate-based simulation context, you will be stuck with a Klems basis BSDF and that will not be very good resolution for a lot of CFS; here you may want to use the 5-phase method and stick the actual CFS geometry in the building model.

Some things to consider here are the photon map, now a part of Radiance proper, or using the 2-phase method where appropriate. By 2-phase method I mean generating a daylight matrix for your calculation points (or view), and modeling the window material as-is. If the "CFS" is a shade cloth, you can approximate that with a Radiance "trans". Same for translucent panels.
With this single daylight matrix, you can throw a vector of sky matrices at it and get an annual climate-based result very quickly. Problem is, we want to do stuff to the windows, sometimes at the time step level, so:

Blinds and compact daylight redirection devices (e.g. Lightlouver) are best represented as BSDF, and if most of the redirected flux is headed up and away from the points of interest, a Klems basis BSDF is good enough IMO. In these cases you could use the 3-phase method. Problem is when you have a BSDF for blinds, and you also want to simulate the blinds-up condition (i.e. clear, specularly transmitting glass). Using a Klems basis BSDF for this is sub-optimal. You end up needing to do two annual simulations, one as 2-phase for the clear glass scenario, and again as a 3-phase (with a blinds BSDF for the transmission matrix) for the blinds down condition. If you have a lot of different window groups, your simulation space can get large in a hurry. But it's still do-able and you can get results that tell a story you simply couldn't tell 5 years ago, informing the newest daylight metrics as well.

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 15:56:11 -0300
To: Radiance general discussion <[email protected]>
Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽<CAF-iH4LSr=y12F1khTrHh6hnf-kS=EmaFuo8uWKvHqMs=FZL-Q@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

I must say that I agree with Rob, however, a short answer that might help.

For evaluating illuminance levels in a space with different CFS you, strictly speaking, DO NOT HAVE TO do anything. You may choose between different methods that have some pros and cons.

*ray-tracing*

聽聽聽- Requires ray-tracing for each time-step and each system, which is slow
聽聽聽(*four systems simulated annualy in an hourly basis --> 4*8760 = 35,040
聽聽聽simulations*.)
聽聽聽- As accurate as it gets, if options are defined correctly.

*2 phase method*

聽聽聽- Do not need the BSDF
聽聽聽- Requires ray-tracing for each CFS (*4 systems --> 4 ray-tracing
聽聽聽simulations*)
聽聽聽- After ray-tracing, annual simulation is fast.

*3-phase method:*

聽聽聽- Requires BSDF data in KLEMS basis, which may be slow to compute,
聽聽聽unless it can be exported from WINDOW, for example, or such data has
聽聽聽already been calculated (the idea is to make a database, I think).
聽聽聽- Does not really work well for specular systems (Klems patches are too
聽聽聽big)
聽聽聽- Requires 2 ray-tracing runs, always (*4 systems --> 2 ray-tracing
聽聽聽simulations*)
聽聽聽- After ray-tracing and BSDF calculation, annual simulation is fast

*5-phase method:*

聽聽聽- Requires BSDF data in KLEMS basis AND/OR Tensor tree format, which
聽聽聽may be slow to compute, unless it can be exported from WINDOW, for example,
聽聽聽or such data has already been calculated (the idea is to make a database, I
聽聽聽think).
聽聽聽- Works well for specular systems
聽聽聽- Requires 4 ray-tracing runs + 1 for each system, always (*4 systems
聽聽聽--> 4+1 = 5 ray-tracing simulations*)
聽聽聽- Hard to code...?

I would not say there is a recipe. If you have to choose between 1 or 2 CFSs, maybe it is faster to just draw them and use the 2 phase method (or ray-tracing if an annual simulaton is not required). On the contrary, if you are going to test 10 different CFSs, 3 and 5 phases may make sense, since you reduce the expensive ray-tracing calculations... However, this will also depend on weather you have the BSDF data AND/OR if it makes sense to calculate it and store it AND/OR if you intend to simulate a dynamically controlled CFS.

Best!

2015-07-09 14:29 GMT-03:00 Guglielmetti, Robert < [email protected]>:

>Hi G. Larrain,
>
>Thanks for your detailed clarification (below).
>
>I wonder if you kindly can help me toward better understanding and
>answering the following:
>
>We agreed that for daylight modelling of spaces with CFS, Radiance is
>a suitable tool as it applies ray-tracing method. And for annual
>and/or climate-based daylight calculations, as calculation time
>becomes a critical factor, using BSDF data for CFS is highly
>recommended to tackle the task with radiance (using phases methods). However:

BSDF data in an annual simulation context is generally limited to
Klems basis BSDF data, which may not be high enough resolution for
some CFS. And the 5-phase method, which can circumvent this, is not necessarily "quick".
This is all still very much a quandary and the newest daylight metrics
have added confusion to all of this, IMO.

>
>- if someone needs to perform daylight calculations for given space
>with different CFS (different cases for comparison purposes) to get
>illumination levels for horizontal grid points (and not pictures nor
>scenes), is Radiance still the most convenient option?

Absolutely. The lack of an image-as-output requirement does not change
the fact that ray tracing is a good/convenient algorithm option for
daylight simulation problems, especially when dealing with diffusing
media and CFS in general. BSDFs allow you to do lots of "what-ifs",
relatively quickly, but are beholden to the limitations of the resolution of the BSDF.

>- is it still needed to use any of the phase methods (2, 3 or 5)?

Is what still needed? BSDF data? Ray tracing? I don't know of other
lighting simulation tools that can employ the multiphase methods. I
would say BSDF data is optional for 2-phase, required for 3-phase, and
optional for 5-phase.

>- most importantly, is it still needed to get BSDF data for CFS or
>just can model the detailed CFS in Radiance (and, if yes, how?)

Again I'm confused as to what "it" is. A couple of approaches are
available to you in general. If you have a geometric model of the CFS
you can use Radiance (genBSDF) to make a BSDF of the CFS and use that
in a 3- or 5-phase context. However in an annual/climate-based
simulation context, you will be stuck with a Klems basis BSDF and that
will not be very good resolution for a lot of CFS; here you may want
to use the 5-phase method and stick the actual CFS geometry in the building model.

Some things to consider here are the photon map, now a part of
Radiance proper, or using the 2-phase method where appropriate. By
2-phase method I mean generating a daylight matrix for your
calculation points (or view), and modeling the window material as-is.
If the "CFS" is a shade cloth, you can approximate that with a Radiance "trans". Same for translucent panels.
With this single daylight matrix, you can throw a vector of sky
matrices at it and get an annual climate-based result very quickly.
Problem is, we want to do stuff to the windows, sometimes at the time step level, so:

Blinds and compact daylight redirection devices (e.g. Lightlouver) are
best represented as BSDF, and if most of the redirected flux is headed
up and away from the points of interest, a Klems basis BSDF is good
enough IMO. In these cases you could use the 3-phase method. Problem
is when you have a BSDF for blinds, and you also want to simulate the
blinds-up condition (i.e. clear, specularly transmitting glass). Using
a Klems basis BSDF for this is sub-optimal. You end up needing to do
two annual simulations, one as 2-phase for the clear glass scenario,
and again as a 3-phase (with a blinds BSDF for the transmission
matrix) for the blinds down condition. If you have a lot of different
window groups, your simulation space can get large in a hurry. But
it's still do-able and you can get results that tell a story you
simply couldn't tell 5 years ago, informing the newest daylight metrics as well.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/attachments/20150709/cfbdd4da/attachment.html>

End of Radiance-general Digest, Vol 137, Issue 8

End of Radiance-general Digest, Vol 137, Issue 9

The best basic Radiance tutorial (not using any of the modern
techniques) is still the one in *Rendering with Radiance* which, um, I
sell.

Drop me a note if you're looking for a copy.

路路路

--
Randolph M. Fritz, Lighting Design and Simulation
+1 206 390 4477 || [email protected]

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Ikrima Amaireh <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Robert,

I have installed Git for Windows as you adviced :slight_smile: Now, Before I start with 3 or 5-phase tutorials, I'm thinking to go through "radiance tutorial" (by Axel Jacobs) as a beginner with almost a shallow knowledge/experience of radiance. So, do recommend this (radiance tutorial would be enough to start with 3 or 5-phase methods and understanding of BSDF data approach, etc) or advice another tutorial/source for better understanding of radiance basics (using command prompt)?

Regards
Ikrima

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Issue 8

OK so it sounds like you first tried the Windows installer (presumably a NREL-provided one such as this:
https://github.com/NREL/Radiance/releases/download/5.0.a.3/radiance-5.0.a-w
in64.exe), and this most likely worked fine, you just had some issues actually *doing* anything with it. This is normal. =)

I recommend you install Git for windows (https://msysgit.github.io/), as that will add a little BASH emulator in your Windows system. This way you can run most of the commands exactly as they appear in most of the tutorials out there that are written from a UNIX perspective (as you point out). If you run the "Git BASH shell" you will be able to try out all the multi-phase methods, use and generate BSDFs, etc. Once you have Git for Windows installed, head over to Andy McNeil's tutorials for 3- and 5-phase, fire up the Git BASH shell (it'll be in the Git program group in the Windows start menu), and get started!

One thing to keep in mind is that when running any commands that read/write data (e.g. rcontrib), be sure to use ASCII format rather than float. Windows has issues with float data (among many other things).

Good luck!

- Rob

Hi Robert,

Many thanks
ikrima

Hi Ikrima,

Hi all,

Regards
Ikrima

Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽<D697763F9F216044A99BC674C00561961358CA9BAF@EXCHANGE1.ad.nottingham.ac.uk>

Hi all,

Thanks Robert and Larrain for your detailed replies, that helped me a lot.

I would summarise here what I got form your appreciated replies, as following:
- Radiance is convenient and best of tools to model daylighting due to its ray-tracing method.
- Generating BSDF data is also used to facilitate these calculations but it is limited to Klems resolution of some CFS.

Initially, I'm not planning to do annual calculations. It's just for specific hours of the day and the target is to produce a illuminance levels for indoor grid under different CFSs. Hence, according to my understanding from Larrain words, I can use either 2-phase or Ray-tracing methods. My question is how can I draw/define the CFS geometry and Space for these calculations? Is it similar to the way use in Ecotect/Radiance calculations?

Regards
Ikrima

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Radiance-general digest..."

Today's Topics:

Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽<D697763F9F216044A99BC674C00561961358CA9710@EXCHANGE1.ad.nottingham.ac.uk>

Hi G. Larrain,

I wonder if you kindly can help me toward better understanding and answering the following:

We agreed that for daylight modelling of spaces with CFS, Radiance is a suitable tool as it applies ray-tracing method. And for annual and/or climate-based daylight calculations, as calculation time becomes a critical factor, using BSDF data for CFS is highly recommended to tackle the task with radiance (using phases methods). However:

- if someone needs to perform daylight calculations for given space with different CFS (different cases for comparison purposes) to get illumination levels for horizontal grid points (and not pictures nor scenes), is Radiance still the most convenient option?
- most importantly, is it still needed to get BSDF data for CFS or just can model the detailed CFS in Radiance (and, if yes, how?)

Regards
Ikrima

"Ikrima,

I am going to try to build the puzzle of CFS, Phases, BSDF and calculations.... at least the way I understand it.

*CFS* are those systems that, via interreflection or other light transport phenomena, redirect light (or solar radiation). Thus, in order to get a reliable result you will have to consider all the phenomena involved.
Then, *common
simple performance indexes*, such as the miss-used Shading Coefficient and the Aperture Percentage, *always loose a lot of information, trying to reduce all the complex behavior of a CFS to one single number*. We all know that venetian blinds are more "transparent" from certain viewing directions than from others, but these performance indexes do not tell you that.

Now... Radiance can certainly perform calculations of spaces with CFS using its "common" Ray-tracing. However, this may be slow for some purposes (i.e.
annual simulations and climate-based daylight modelling), and *this is why 2, 3 and 5 phase methods have been developed*. The *BSDF* representation, I would say, goes in the same direction... It allow summarizing all the bounces, reflections, refractions, etc. that occure withing the CFS in a single matrix or tensor.* By using BSDFs*, Radiance itself and other tools (i.e. EnergyPlus) can treat CFS as blackboxes, avoiding all the opcits within the system. A BSDF that uses the Klems Full representation has

Being said all that, I would not trust a calculation method unless it can actually deal with the optics of a CFS that is drawn and/or it can use BSDF (or similar) information.

Lets remember that a perforated screen, a venetian blind, a light diffusing device can all have a Shading Coefficient of 50%, but all of them will behave very differently. I made some presentations about this on my previous work (we sold complex Shading Devices), trying to promote the use of BSDF in EnergyPlus calculations... the differences (in solar heat gains) were more than considerable.

Best!"

Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽<D697763F9F216044A99BC674C00561961358CA9719@EXCHANGE1.ad.nottingham.ac.uk>

Hi all,

After one a few weeks of trying, I could not manage to install radiance properly. I am almost disappointed! Please any help?

Regards
Ikrima

Hi Ikrima,

We'll need a bit more info, here. What OS are you on? How are you attempting to install it (using an installer, compiling from source, or what)? What happens when you try??

Hi all,

Regards
Ikrima

Hi G. Larrain,

answering the following:

BSDF data in an annual simulation context is generally limited to Klems basis BSDF data, which may not be high enough resolution for some CFS. And the 5-phase method, which can circumvent this, is not necessarily "quick".
This is all still very much a quandary and the newest daylight metrics have added confusion to all of this, IMO.

Absolutely. The lack of an image-as-output requirement does not change the fact that ray tracing is a good/convenient algorithm option for daylight simulation problems, especially when dealing with diffusing media and CFS in general. BSDFs allow you to do lots of "what-ifs", relatively quickly, but are beholden to the limitations of the resolution of the BSDF.

Is what still needed? BSDF data? Ray tracing? I don't know of other lighting simulation tools that can employ the multiphase methods. I would say BSDF data is optional for 2-phase, required for 3-phase, and optional for 5-phase.

Again I'm confused as to what "it" is. A couple of approaches are available to you in general. If you have a geometric model of the CFS you can use Radiance (genBSDF) to make a BSDF of the CFS and use that in a 3- or 5-phase context. However in an annual/climate-based simulation context, you will be stuck with a Klems basis BSDF and that will not be very good resolution for a lot of CFS; here you may want to use the 5-phase method and stick the actual CFS geometry in the building model.

Some things to consider here are the photon map, now a part of Radiance proper, or using the 2-phase method where appropriate. By 2-phase method I mean generating a daylight matrix for your calculation points (or view), and modeling the window material as-is. If the "CFS" is a shade cloth, you can approximate that with a Radiance "trans". Same for translucent panels.
With this single daylight matrix, you can throw a vector of sky matrices at it and get an annual climate-based result very quickly. Problem is, we want to do stuff to the windows, sometimes at the time step level, so:

Blinds and compact daylight redirection devices (e.g. Lightlouver) are best represented as BSDF, and if most of the redirected flux is headed up and away from the points of interest, a Klems basis BSDF is good enough IMO. In these cases you could use the 3-phase method. Problem is when you have a BSDF for blinds, and you also want to simulate the blinds-up condition (i.e. clear, specularly transmitting glass). Using a Klems basis BSDF for this is sub-optimal. You end up needing to do two annual simulations, one as 2-phase for the clear glass scenario, and again as a 3-phase (with a blinds BSDF for the transmission matrix) for the blinds down condition. If you have a lot of different window groups, your simulation space can get large in a hurry. But it's still do-able and you can get results that tell a story you simply couldn't tell 5 years ago, informing the newest daylight metrics as well.

Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽<CAF-iH4LSr=y12F1khTrHh6hnf-kS=EmaFuo8uWKvHqMs=FZL-Q@mail.gmail.com>

I must say that I agree with Rob, however, a short answer that might help.

For evaluating illuminance levels in a space with different CFS you, strictly speaking, DO NOT HAVE TO do anything. You may choose between different methods that have some pros and cons.

*ray-tracing*

聽聽聽- Requires ray-tracing for each time-step and each system, which is slow
聽聽聽(*four systems simulated annualy in an hourly basis --> 4*8760 = 35,040
聽聽聽simulations*.)

*2 phase method*

聽聽聽simulations*)

聽聽聽- Does not really work well for specular systems (Klems patches are too
聽聽聽big)
聽聽聽simulations*)

聽聽聽may be slow to compute, unless it can be exported from WINDOW, for example,
聽聽聽or such data has already been calculated (the idea is to make a database, I
聽聽聽think).
聽聽聽- Hard to code...?

I would not say there is a recipe. If you have to choose between 1 or 2 CFSs, maybe it is faster to just draw them and use the 2 phase method (or ray-tracing if an annual simulaton is not required). On the contrary, if you are going to test 10 different CFSs, 3 and 5 phases may make sense, since you reduce the expensive ray-tracing calculations... However, this will also depend on weather you have the BSDF data AND/OR if it makes sense to calculate it and store it AND/OR if you intend to simulate a dynamically controlled CFS.

Best!

2015-07-09 14:29 GMT-03:00 Guglielmetti, Robert <
[email protected]>:

>Hi G. Larrain,
>
>
>
>recommended to tackle the task with radiance (using phases methods). However:

some CFS. And the 5-phase method, which can circumvent this, is not necessarily "quick".

>

relatively quickly, but are beholden to the limitations of the resolution of the BSDF.

optional for 5-phase.

to use the 5-phase method and stick the actual CFS geometry in the building model.

If the "CFS" is a shade cloth, you can approximate that with a Radiance "trans". Same for translucent panels.
Problem is, we want to do stuff to the windows, sometimes at the time step level, so:

simply couldn't tell 5 years ago, informing the newest daylight metrics as well.

URL: <http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/attachments/20150709/cfbdd4da/attachment.html>

Ikrima,

Glad to hear you are up and running!

I agree with Randolph, the RwR textbook is really important grounding in
the basics of Radiance. On the other hand, the newer tutorials written by
Andy McNeil and the Radiance cookbooks by Axel Jacobs (the latter of which
are still available, not to be confused with his original 3-phase
tutorial) will get you up and running on the BSDF stuff which it sounds
like you are anxious to get rolling with. They do assume some familiarity
with the basics, which may trip you up in the beginning, however.

Good luck!

- Rob

路路路

On 7/16/15, 11:44 AM, "Randolph M. Fritz" <[email protected]> wrote:

The best basic Radiance tutorial (not using any of the modern
techniques) is still the one in *Rendering with Radiance* which, um, I
sell.

Drop me a note if you're looking for a copy.

--
Randolph M. Fritz, Lighting Design and Simulation
+1 206 390 4477 || [email protected]

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Ikrima Amaireh <[email protected]> >wrote:

Hi Robert,

I have installed Git for Windows as you adviced :slight_smile: Now, Before I start
with 3 or 5-phase tutorials, I'm thinking to go through "radiance
tutorial" (by Axel Jacobs) as a beginner with almost a shallow
knowledge/experience of radiance. So, do recommend this (radiance
tutorial would be enough to start with 3 or 5-phase methods and
understanding of BSDF data approach, etc) or advice another
tutorial/source for better understanding of radiance basics (using
command prompt)?

Regards
Ikrima

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Issue 8

OK so it sounds like you first tried the Windows installer (presumably
a NREL-provided one such as this:

https://github.com/NREL/Radiance/releases/download/5.0.a.3/radiance-5.0.a
-w
in64.exe), and this most likely worked fine, you just had some issues
actually *doing* anything with it. This is normal. =)

I recommend you install Git for windows (https://msysgit.github.io/),
as that will add a little BASH emulator in your Windows system. This way
you can run most of the commands exactly as they appear in most of the
tutorials out there that are written from a UNIX perspective (as you
point out). If you run the "Git BASH shell" you will be able to try out
all the multi-phase methods, use and generate BSDFs, etc. Once you have
Git for Windows installed, head over to Andy McNeil's tutorials for 3-
and 5-phase, fire up the Git BASH shell (it'll be in the Git program
group in the Windows start menu), and get started!

One thing to keep in mind is that when running any commands that
read/write data (e.g. rcontrib), be sure to use ASCII format rather than
float. Windows has issues with float data (among many other things).

Good luck!

- Rob

Hi Robert,

Many thanks
ikrima

Hi Ikrima,

Hi all,

Regards
Ikrima

Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽
<D697763F9F216044A99BC674C00561961358CA9BAF@EXCHANGE1.ad.nottingham.ac.uk

Hi all,

Thanks Robert and Larrain for your detailed replies, that helped me a
lot.

I would summarise here what I got form your appreciated replies, as
following:
- Radiance is convenient and best of tools to model daylighting due to
its ray-tracing method.
- Generating BSDF data is also used to facilitate these calculations
but it is limited to Klems resolution of some CFS.

Initially, I'm not planning to do annual calculations. It's just for
specific hours of the day and the target is to produce a illuminance
levels for indoor grid under different CFSs. Hence, according to my
understanding from Larrain words, I can use either 2-phase or
Ray-tracing methods. My question is how can I draw/define the CFS
geometry and Space for these calculations? Is it similar to the way use
in Ecotect/Radiance calculations?

Regards
Ikrima

[mailto:[email protected]]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Radiance-general digest..."

Today's Topics:

Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽
<D697763F9F216044A99BC674C00561961358CA9710@EXCHANGE1.ad.nottingham.ac.uk

Hi G. Larrain,

answering the following:

critical factor, using BSDF data for CFS is highly recommended to tackle
the task with radiance (using phases methods). However:

Regards
Ikrima

"Ikrima,

I am going to try to build the puzzle of CFS, Phases, BSDF and
calculations.... at least the way I understand it.

*CFS* are those systems that, via interreflection or other light
transport phenomena, redirect light (or solar radiation). Thus, in order
to get a reliable result you will have to consider all the phenomena
involved.
Then, *common
simple performance indexes*, such as the miss-used Shading Coefficient
and the Aperture Percentage, *always loose a lot of information, trying
to reduce all the complex behavior of a CFS to one single number*. We
all know that venetian blinds are more "transparent" from certain
viewing directions than from others, but these performance indexes do
not tell you that.

Now... Radiance can certainly perform calculations of spaces with CFS
using its "common" Ray-tracing. However, this may be slow for some
purposes (i.e.
annual simulations and climate-based daylight modelling), and *this is
why 2, 3 and 5 phase methods have been developed*. The *BSDF*
representation, I would say, goes in the same direction... It allow
summarizing all the bounces, reflections, refractions, etc. that occure
withing the CFS in a single matrix or tensor.* By using BSDFs*, Radiance
itself and other tools (i.e. EnergyPlus) can treat CFS as blackboxes,
avoiding all the opcits within the system. A BSDF that uses the Klems
Full representation has

Being said all that, I would not trust a calculation method unless it
can actually deal with the optics of a CFS that is drawn and/or it can
use BSDF (or similar) information.

Lets remember that a perforated screen, a venetian blind, a light
diffusing device can all have a Shading Coefficient of 50%, but all of
them will behave very differently. I made some presentations about this
on my previous work (we sold complex Shading Devices), trying to promote
the use of BSDF in EnergyPlus calculations... the differences (in solar
heat gains) were more than considerable.

Best!"

Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽
<D697763F9F216044A99BC674C00561961358CA9719@EXCHANGE1.ad.nottingham.ac.uk

Hi all,

Regards
Ikrima

Hi Ikrima,

Hi all,

Regards
Ikrima

Hi G. Larrain,

answering the following:

BSDF data in an annual simulation context is generally limited to Klems
basis BSDF data, which may not be high enough resolution for some CFS.
And the 5-phase method, which can circumvent this, is not necessarily
"quick".

relatively quickly, but are beholden to the limitations of the
resolution of the BSDF.

optional for 5-phase.

you can use Radiance (genBSDF) to make a BSDF of the CFS and use that in
a 3- or 5-phase context. However in an annual/climate-based simulation
context, you will be stuck with a Klems basis BSDF and that will not be
very good resolution for a lot of CFS; here you may want to use the
5-phase method and stick the actual CFS geometry in the building model.

Some things to consider here are the photon map, now a part of Radiance
proper, or using the 2-phase method where appropriate. By 2-phase method
I mean generating a daylight matrix for your calculation points (or
view), and modeling the window material as-is. If the "CFS" is a shade
cloth, you can approximate that with a Radiance "trans". Same for
translucent panels.
Problem is, we want to do stuff to the windows, sometimes at the time
step level, so:

enough IMO. In these cases you could use the 3-phase method. Problem is
when you have a BSDF for blinds, and you also want to simulate the
blinds-up condition (i.e. clear, specularly transmitting glass). Using a
Klems basis BSDF for this is sub-optimal. You end up needing to do two
annual simulations, one as 2-phase for the clear glass scenario, and
again as a 3-phase (with a blinds BSDF for the transmission matrix) for
the blinds down condition. If you have a lot of different window groups,
your simulation space can get large in a hurry. But it's still do-able
and you can get results that tell a story you simply couldn't tell 5
years ago, informing the newest daylight metrics as well.

Message-ID:
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽
<CAF-iH4LSr=y12F1khTrHh6hnf-kS=EmaFuo8uWKvHqMs=FZL-Q@mail.gmail.com>

I must say that I agree with Rob, however, a short answer that might
help.

For evaluating illuminance levels in a space with different CFS you,
strictly speaking, DO NOT HAVE TO do anything. You may choose between
different methods that have some pros and cons.

*ray-tracing*

聽聽聽- Requires ray-tracing for each time-step and each system, which is
slow
聽聽聽(*four systems simulated annualy in an hourly basis --> 4*8760 =
聽聽聽simulations*.)

*2 phase method*

聽聽聽simulations*)

聽聽聽- Does not really work well for specular systems (Klems patches are
too
聽聽聽big)
聽聽聽simulations*)

聽聽聽may be slow to compute, unless it can be exported from WINDOW, for
example,
聽聽聽or such data has already been calculated (the idea is to make a
database, I
聽聽聽think).
聽聽聽- Hard to code...?

I would not say there is a recipe. If you have to choose between 1 or 2
CFSs, maybe it is faster to just draw them and use the 2 phase method
(or ray-tracing if an annual simulaton is not required). On the
contrary, if you are going to test 10 different CFSs, 3 and 5 phases may
make sense, since you reduce the expensive ray-tracing calculations...
However, this will also depend on weather you have the BSDF data AND/OR
if it makes sense to calculate it and store it AND/OR if you intend to
simulate a dynamically controlled CFS.

Best!

2015-07-09 14:29 GMT-03:00 Guglielmetti, Robert <
[email protected]>:

>Hi G. Larrain,
>
>
>
>recommended to tackle the task with radiance (using phases methods).
However:

some CFS. And the 5-phase method, which can circumvent this, is not
necessarily "quick".

>

relatively quickly, but are beholden to the limitations of the
resolution of the BSDF.

optional for 5-phase.

to use the 5-phase method and stick the actual CFS geometry in the
building model.

If the "CFS" is a shade cloth, you can approximate that with a
Radiance "trans". Same for translucent panels.
Problem is, we want to do stuff to the windows, sometimes at the time
step level, so:

simply couldn't tell 5 years ago, informing the newest daylight
metrics as well.

URL:
<http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/attachments/20
150709/cfbdd4da/attachment.html>