Error: "X connection to .... broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Hi Michael,

objline (redirected to x11meta) would indeed show a wireframe of the model without surfaces. You can use rvu or rpict to render surfaces. You might want to check the manual pages of rvu and rpict to learn how to use them.

The broken X connection might have nothing to to do with your Radiance install. Have you successfully used other X11 programs? If not, you might want to run another X11 program, if that gives you the same error, or not, we're happy to help you solve it. For example, try to run the 'xclock' or 'xeyes' on your mac's X11 terminal (not terminal), and report to us what's happening.

My best,

- iebele

···

Op 4 jul. 2012, om 19:49 heeft Michael Bannert het volgende geschreven:

Dear Radiance community,

I'm just starting to use Radiance and I'm currently going through the tutorial. Right at the beginning when trying to view the sphere (page 14) using the following command "objline objects/things.rad | x11meta", all I get is a mesh without surfaces and an error saying:

"X connection to /tmp/launch-VcMFzD/org.x:0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)."

Now I'm not sure if the mesh is all that I'm in fact supposed to see at this stage but I think that this error message is not a good sign.

Any thoughts on what this could mean and how to solve the problem?

Best regards,
Michael

PS.: I'm running Radiance on Mac OS Snow Leopard using the latest snapshot of Radiance. I followed the installation instructions suggested here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptTmdKSfK68

--
Michael Bannert, Dipl.-Psych.
Vision & Cognition Lab, Centre for Integrative Neuroscience, Univ. of Tübingen & BCCN Tübingen
Otfried-Müller-Str. 25, 72076 Tübingen, Germany
Phone: +49 - (0)7071 / 29 - 89031

Hi Iebele & Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your help! - I'm running other programs that make use of X11 without problems, e.g., Matlab, Gimp, Freesurfer...

'xclock' and 'xeyes' - quite as promised - gives me a clock and eyes, respectively.

I found some other posts on the web that were unrelated to Radiance mentioning the same error. It appears that it may have something to do with ssh settings. But I'm not remotely connected to any other machine... Just wondering...

@Thomas: Yes, the error only occurred when closing the window. But there was an error beep when the window opened that made me wonder.

For the time being, I think I will just proceed with the tutorial and assume that this problem does not specifically affect the behavior of Radiance.

Groetjes,
Michael

···

On Jul 5, 2012, at 8:48 AM, Thomas Bleicher wrote:

On Wednesday, July 4, 2012, Michael Bannert <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Radiance community,
> I'm just starting to use Radiance and I'm currently going through the tutorial. Right at the beginning when trying to view the sphere (page 14) using the following command "objline objects/things.rad | x11meta", all I get is a mesh without surfaces and an error saying:
> "X connection to /tmp/launch-VcMFzD/org.x:0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)."

When does this error show in the terminal? While you're still looking at the mesh or only when you close the window? If it only appears after you closed the window then that's just because the x11meta window does not terminate the connection to the x server properly. That's not a problem.

> Now I'm not sure if the mesh is all that I'm in fact supposed to see at this stage but I think that this error message is not a good sign.
> Any thoughts on what this could mean and how to solve the problem?

It doesn't look like a problem at this stage. Continue with the tutorial and see if the following steps produce output you expect.

Regards,
Thomas _______________________________________________
Radiance-general mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-general

--
Michael Bannert, Dipl.-Psych.
Vision & Cognition Lab, Centre for Integrative Neuroscience, Univ. of Tübingen & BCCN Tübingen
Otfried-Müller-Str. 25, 72076 Tübingen, Germany
Phone: +49 - (0)7071 / 29 - 89031