Email interface

Hi,

it seams that I did not fully understand how to use the email interface. I enabled the option in my account settings, but how can I post to the list now? Sending to the usual radiance-general email address does not show up on the website, and I also do not get the mail through the email interface. Is the email mode read-only, so that I have to log into the website every time I want to start a topic or reply to a question? Or did I just miss the essential bit of information how to use the interface?

Cheers, Lars.

Hi Lars,

It seems that you figured it out, as evidenced by this post. Congratulations for being the first!

I believe you need to go to the website if you want to begin a new topic. Choose the appropriate category and hit the “+ New Topic” button.

Once someone has started a thread, you can reply to the e-mail you receive (as I am doing now) and it should follow the original post under the same category and topic.

Best,
-Greg

Hi Greg,

thank you for the explanation! Is there any chance that the possibility to send (new) messages from an email-client will be enabled again at some point? Having a common protocol for more than one recipient (aka email) was not such a bad idea in my opinion. :wink:

Cheers, Lars.

I’m as much of a beginner with Discourse as you. Perhaps @Mostapha knows the answer to this one? My guess is that new topics require a visit to the website. Not necessarily a bad thing, since there are lots of advantages to the Discourse interface once you get used to it. (Or so I’ve been told.)

Cheers,
-Greg

Hi Greg,
I wanted to reply to this thread with my email client, but got this auto-reply :

The following message to [email protected] was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 552-’#5.3.4 message header size exceeds limit’

Reporting-MTA: dns; fe4.lbl.gov

Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; [128.3.41.120]
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 552-’#5.3.4 message header size exceeds limit’ (delivery attempts: 0)

here is the email header as it is stored in my sent-folder:

Subject: Re: [discourse.radiance-online.org] [Site Feedback] Email interface
To: “discourse.radiance-online.org”
replies+f6112e171c295f9d03f089ed848d4e80@discourse.radiance-online.org
References: topic/[email protected]
topic/4540/[email protected]
Message-ID: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 17:37:53 +0200
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.8.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: topic/4540/[email protected]
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="------------2ED096723C5759E201D9AE2F"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------2ED096723C5759E201D9AE2F
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

and this is what I wanted to write:
Hi Greg,

I see another issue - it seems if you reply to a thread on the web-site, then the old messages are not included in the email… that means you HAVE to go to the web-site all the time so see the conversation … or use the sort feature of the email client and click through message by message, which was before in one email, which you can scroll down. If this is a permanent feature and not just a setting, which can be changed, then this feature is really a change for the worse…

As far as I can see now, the web-interface has clear advantages in searching old threads , but in real time usage it is more time consuming and actually not an improvement… or maybe I’m just getting old and wanna keep old-fashioned stuff …

cheers

Jan

It seems to be possible. @defuller should know more about the email set-up for the page. I can take a closer look next week.

Hi @Jan_Wienold, Aren’t they not included or trimmed? By default Discourse includes the starting part of each topic. Not sure if there is setting to include all of it like a plain email. I stand corrected - If you are using mailing list mode you should get all of them as full emails. Here is how this topic looks like in my email.

Did you get the reply by email to work correctly? I tested it and it works fine.

Hi Mostapha,
I tried today twice to reply to a post - I always get the same error-message, see below.
It is not on our email side- the email is rejected on the lbl-server.
I’m using thunderbird-email-client on Mac.
Hope you can fix it soon.

best
Jan

The following message to [email protected] was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 552-’#5.3.4 message header size exceeds limit’

Reporting-MTA: dns; fe3.lbl.gov

Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; [128.3.41.120]
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 552-’#5.3.4 message header size exceeds limit’ (delivery attempts: 0)

Hi Jan,

There are bound to be a few hiccups with a new system. Thanks for reporting the problem. We are looking into this issue. Just got past a long weekend over here, so bear with us.

Cheers,
-Greg

1 Like

Hi Jan,

Dan Fuller says he’s increased the header size limit and restarted the mail handler. Can you try your reply again?

Thanks,
-Greg

This appears to be a problem with many e-mails, not just Jan’s. Apologies to all who have tried to reply to e-mails, never to see their responses post. It might be best for now to use the Discourse website directly to reply, until we can work out what we’re doing wrong.

Thanks for your patience.
-Greg

sorry for creating multiple email-test- messages - we are still encountering problems with email-replies, so we will use this thread to test - you might get several test-replies.
This message is sent via web-interface.
Jan

1 Like

Here is test reply
Radiance is a suite of programs for the analysis and visualization of lighting in design.

Input files specify the scene geometry, materials, luminaires, time, date and sky conditions (for daylight calculations). Calculated values include spectral radiance (ie. luminance + color), irradiance (illuminance + color) and glare indices. Simulation results may be displayed as color images, numerical values and contour plots.

The primary advantage of Radiance over simpler lighting calculation and rendering tools is that there are few limitations on the geometry or the materials that may be simulated. Radiance is used by architects and engineers to predict illumination, visual quality and appearance of innovative design spaces, and by researchers to evaluate new lighting and daylighting technologies.

Dan