Defining a textile facade

Hello,

I need some advice on material creation, I hope not all of you are on vacation :-). I am trying to model a textile facade, and only got reflectance, transmitance and absorptance values for the used material, along with solar factor and visible transmittance, and a color sample...

I think a trans material could be the best option, but I am not sure about my parameters, nor if it will be accurate enough,

I've searched around but I'm afraid I still need some help... thanks in advance!!

Fran

A better start would be to obtain test results based on EN 14501 test standards. This would give the direct normal and hemispherical transmission values to help define a trans material. Or does the textile have an "openness factor" defined? This would give an approximation of the direct normal transmission in comparison to the total hemispherical transmission.

How critical is accuracy, and do you have resources and time to arrange for more detailed testing of the fabric and a complex material definition? Or are you just trying to get close enough for comfort?

Can you give a verbal description of the textile? Is it a woven fabric with white threads and some open transparency (eg it is white but you can still see objects on the other side when it's hanging)?

···

Christopher, many thanks for your help. The manufacturer's catalogue displays the information according to EN 14501, so maybe they have this data; I'm waiting for an answer from them.
I'm doing tis for a small competition, so resources are not large, if they don't provide me with data I'll have to guess approximate values and hope for resources to come in case we win :slight_smile:
The textile is a PVC coated polyester woven fabric, in a variety of colors, and yes it has open transparency, so if you are close enough you can see trhough it.

···

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Christopher Rush [mailto:[email protected]]
Enviado el: martes, 16 de agosto de 2011 15:14
Para: Radiance general discussion
Asunto: Re: [Radiance-general] Defining a textile facade

A better start would be to obtain test results based on EN 14501 test standards. This would give the direct normal and hemispherical transmission values to help define a trans material. Or does the textile have an "openness factor" defined? This would give an approximation of the direct normal transmission in comparison to the total hemispherical transmission.

How critical is accuracy, and do you have resources and time to arrange for more detailed testing of the fabric and a complex material definition? Or are you just trying to get close enough for comfort?

Can you give a verbal description of the textile? Is it a woven fabric with white threads and some open transparency (eg it is white but you can still see objects on the other side when it's hanging)?

A little searching of the archives from http://www.radiance-online.org/search.html turns up this post that summarizes a method for calculating trans definition. http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2009-December/006434.html

···