Coupling ESP-r and Radiance

Hi Everyone,

As part of my project I need to export a ESP-r model of a house to Radiance and calculate luminance of Windows for some view points. I have heard that there is a coupling of ESP-r and Radiance which allows this to done. Could any throw some light on this or provide some related documentation. Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,
Raghu

Hi Raghu,

I worked coupling Thermal and Lighting software. During that time I found
out that Janak did some very interesting work coupling ESP-r and Radiance,
and that Wienold and Frontini (et al.) worked with Daysim and ESPr with
similar purpose. After quite a long while after ending my Literature
review, I heard that there is a way of coupling both programs using
Daylight Coefficients... still haven't found the documentation.

Sorry for the ambiguous answer, but what I am trying to say is that YES,
there has been some work on those topics, however, it is not really written
in many places. *I believe you will get more answers in the ESP-r mailing
list than in this one.*

In my case, I ended up coupling EnergyPlus with Radiance mainly because I
found much more tutorials and documentation for that program... and because
E+ was at that time adopting the BSDF format, which was directly related to
my work.

Best,

Germán

···

2016-01-15 13:06 GMT-03:00 Raghuram Kalyanam <[email protected]>:

Hi Everyone,

As part of my project I need to export a ESP-r model of a house to
Radiance and calculate luminance of Windows for some view points. I have
heard that there is a coupling of ESP-r and Radiance which allows this to
done. Could any throw some light on this or provide some related
documentation. Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,
Raghu

Dear Raghu,

in general, this is possible, yes. What is not quite clear to me is what you are actually looking for. You write “export an ESP-r model”. The simple model export can be done via “visualization” in ESP-r. This generates a Radiance model and allows for viewing and so on. This makes sense if you have an ESP-r model and are looking for a quick way to generate a Radiance model. Only quite recently this feature was enhanced such that you can easily add “office clutter” for example to your ESP-r model. Shading obstructions are also exported to the Radiance model.

If you are looking for coupled simulations, this is also possible. You set this up in the “controlled casual gains” part of ESP-r. Then, the Radiance model takes over calculation of lighting levels in the ESP-r zones on a time step basis. This generally works well, but of course simulation run times increase.

I am not aware of any explicit documentation on this, however, in the ESP-r community (mailing list) there should be some expertise available. Have you looked into Jon Hands very good “CookBook”?

Best
Achim

···

On 15 Jan 2016, at 21:13, Germán Molina Larrain <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Raghu,

I worked coupling Thermal and Lighting software. During that time I found out that Janak did some very interesting work coupling ESP-r and Radiance, and that Wienold and Frontini (et al.) worked with Daysim and ESPr with similar purpose. After quite a long while after ending my Literature review, I heard that there is a way of coupling both programs using Daylight Coefficients... still haven't found the documentation.

Sorry for the ambiguous answer, but what I am trying to say is that YES, there has been some work on those topics, however, it is not really written in many places. I believe you will get more answers in the ESP-r mailing list than in this one.

In my case, I ended up coupling EnergyPlus with Radiance mainly because I found much more tutorials and documentation for that program... and because E+ was at that time adopting the BSDF format, which was directly related to my work.

Best,

Germán

2016-01-15 13:06 GMT-03:00 Raghuram Kalyanam <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>:
Hi Everyone,

As part of my project I need to export a ESP-r model of a house to Radiance and calculate luminance of Windows for some view points. I have heard that there is a coupling of ESP-r and Radiance which allows this to done. Could any throw some light on this or provide some related documentation. Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,
Raghu

[email protected]

Dear Achim,

Thanks for the info, your answer gives a good overview to me. I will look into cookbook as well.

Best Regards,
Raghu

···

On Jan 16, 2016, at 11:54 AM, Achim Geissler <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Raghu,

in general, this is possible, yes. What is not quite clear to me is what you are actually looking for. You write “export an ESP-r model”. The simple model export can be done via “visualization” in ESP-r. This generates a Radiance model and allows for viewing and so on. This makes sense if you have an ESP-r model and are looking for a quick way to generate a Radiance model. Only quite recently this feature was enhanced such that you can easily add “office clutter” for example to your ESP-r model. Shading obstructions are also exported to the Radiance model.

If you are looking for coupled simulations, this is also possible. You set this up in the “controlled casual gains” part of ESP-r. Then, the Radiance model takes over calculation of lighting levels in the ESP-r zones on a time step basis. This generally works well, but of course simulation run times increase.

I am not aware of any explicit documentation on this, however, in the ESP-r community (mailing list) there should be some expertise available. Have you looked into Jon Hands very good “CookBook”?

Best
Achim

On 15 Jan 2016, at 21:13, Germán Molina Larrain <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

Hi Raghu,

I worked coupling Thermal and Lighting software. During that time I found out that Janak did some very interesting work coupling ESP-r and Radiance, and that Wienold and Frontini (et al.) worked with Daysim and ESPr with similar purpose. After quite a long while after ending my Literature review, I heard that there is a way of coupling both programs using Daylight Coefficients... still haven't found the documentation.

Sorry for the ambiguous answer, but what I am trying to say is that YES, there has been some work on those topics, however, it is not really written in many places. I believe you will get more answers in the ESP-r mailing list than in this one.

In my case, I ended up coupling EnergyPlus with Radiance mainly because I found much more tutorials and documentation for that program... and because E+ was at that time adopting the BSDF format, which was directly related to my work.

Best,

Germán

2016-01-15 13:06 GMT-03:00 Raghuram Kalyanam <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>:
Hi Everyone,

Best Regards,
Raghu

[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>