Compiling 3.6alpha on cutting-edge Linux

Debian sid (unstable) version, gcc-3.3. I used scads of Pentium-4 compiler options, but I can't look them up now--the system I was testing on is running MS-Windows at the moment.

I noted these problems:

1. There are two places where strcpy() is declared as an external function; unfortunately it's a macro in that environment, and one gets a confusing compile-time error. PJ Plauger says that use of macros in this way is valid, at least as of C99. See <http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/reader.aspx?b=c/&h=lib_over.html>.

2. The provided version of libtiff does not compile in that environment; the configure script fails. I suspect a conflict with the system's version of "bash," which may have a bug--it is "unstable," after all. The current version of libtiff compiles, but I did not test its functionality. Libtiff is actually available on that platform as the Debian package libtiffg3.

3. That version of Linux supports OpenGL, but I had to hack makeall to get it built in.

"rholo" sure was fast, though!

Randolph

Date: Wed May 14, 2003 9:07:46 PM US/Pacific
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Radiance-dev] Compiling 3.6alpha on cutting-edge Linux
Reply-To: [email protected]

Debian sid (unstable) version, gcc-3.3. I used scads of Pentium-4 compiler options, but I can't look them up now--the system I was testing on is running MS-Windows at the moment.

I noted these problems:

1. There are two places where strcpy() is declared as an external function; unfortunately it's a macro in that environment, and one gets a confusing compile-time error. PJ Plauger says that use of macros in this way is valid, at least as of C99. See <http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/reader.aspx?b=c/&h=lib_over.html>.

Can you tell me where you found these? I removed all the ones I could find, and you could save me some tedious searching if you know where they are.

2. The provided version of libtiff does not compile in that environment; the configure script fails. I suspect a conflict with the system's version of "bash," which may have a bug--it is "unstable," after all. The current version of libtiff compiles, but I did not test its functionality. Libtiff is actually available on that platform as the Debian package libtiffg3.

I don't know enough abot libtiff's build process to hack it. There are some problems on Solaris as well.

3. That version of Linux supports OpenGL, but I had to hack makeall to get it built in.

You can add "ogl" to the SPECIAL= line of rmake -- you don't need to hack makeall, really.

-Greg

Date: Wed May 14, 2003 9:07:46 PM US/Pacific
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Radiance-dev] Compiling 3.6alpha on cutting-edge Linux
Reply-To: [email protected]

I noted these problems:

Can you tell me where you found these? I removed all the ones I could find, and you could save me some tedious searching if you know where they are.

Sorry--sure.

1. util/glrad.c--strchr() (I was wrong about the function, too.) Probably the #ifdef BSD that covers it with index() could be dropped, too, since strchr() is part of C90.

2. hd/rhd_ogl.c--index(). Ironically, the declaration (in dev_section()) does not seem to actually be used, but still creates a compile-time error.

Anyone who doubts Greg's position on conditional compilation, take note.

I don't know enough abot libtiff's build process to hack it. There are some problems on Solaris as well.

My compile-time problems were cleared by downloading the latest release (3.5.7) from Debian; I expect the version at www.libtiff.org is the the same. The only thing I had to do to get it to compile was to bring over the "configure.local" file from the old version. I do not, however, know that it will actually work, though I think it very likely. Note that LZW compression support is problematic, since that algorithm has been patented, though code is linked at libtiff.org.

You can add "ogl" to the SPECIAL= line of rmake -- you don't need to hack makeall, really.

Great, thanks!

Randolph

···

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 09:45 PM, Greg Ward wrote:

I just checked in these changes -- sorry for the delay!

-Greg

···

1. util/glrad.c--strchr() (I was wrong about the function, too.) Probably the #ifdef BSD that covers it with index() could be dropped, too, since strchr() is part of C90.

2. hd/rhd_ogl.c--index(). Ironically, the declaration (in dev_section()) does not seem to actually be used, but still creates a compile-time error.