Combining Ambient Files

Radiance Group,

Using pcomb it's possible add images together.

Is it possible to combine ambient files in a similar way?

I'm running a simulation on a Cygwin (windows) computer. Windows won't let us share the ambient file, so creating multiple views of large scenes takes longer to do, as processors sit idle. Is it possible to run multiple rpicts of the same octree, each one with a different view and associated ambient file, and then add the ambient files together for use in future runs?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Mark de la Fuente

[{--Wm. Tao & Associates, Inc.--}] This message and content is privileged, intended only for recipients named and/or addressed. If the receiver/reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination or copying of this message or its content, in part or in whole, is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by Reply email, and Delete the original message and attachments.

Hi Mark,

You can do that with the lookamb utility. You use lookamb -h -d to print the
contents of the ambient file sans header to STDOUT, then pipe that back to
lookamb with -r to roll them all up into one ambient file.

- Rob

···

On 12/22/09 10:07 AM, "Mark de la Fuente" <[email protected]> wrote:

I'm running a simulation on a Cygwin (windows) computer. Windows won't let us
share the ambient file, so creating multiple views of large scenes takes
longer to do, as processors sit idle. Is it possible to run multiple rpicts of
the same octree, each one with a different view and associated ambient file,
and then add the ambient files together for use in future runs?

Hi Mark,

Rob is basically right. There is an even simpler method, though. So long as the ambient file was written correctly, you can append it from another source using getinfo to remove the header:

getinfo - < machine2.amb >> machine1.amb

If you are concerned that one or the other ambient file may not be complete, the safer method is lookamb:

(lookamb -d machine1.amb ; lookamb -h -d machine2.amb) | lookamb -r > combined.amb

-Greg

···

Date: December 22, 2009 9:18:31 AM PST

On 12/22/09 10:07 AM, "Mark de la Fuente" <[email protected]> > wrote:

I'm running a simulation on a Cygwin (windows) computer. Windows won't let us
share the ambient file, so creating multiple views of large scenes takes
longer to do, as processors sit idle. Is it possible to run multiple rpicts of
the same octree, each one with a different view and associated ambient file,
and then add the ambient files together for use in future runs?

Hi Mark,

You can do that with the lookamb utility. You use lookamb -h -d to print the
contents of the ambient file sans header to STDOUT, then pipe that back to
lookamb with -r to roll them all up into one ambient file.

- Rob

Small goof -- the correct command is:

(lookamb -d machine1.amb ; lookamb -h -d machine2.amb) | lookamb -d -r > combined.amb

The second lookamb leaves off the header, which is why only the second one has -h.

-Greg

···

Date: December 22, 2009 10:16:20 AM PST
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Combining Ambient Files

Hi Mark,

Rob is basically right. There is an even simpler method, though. So long as the ambient file was written correctly, you can append it from another source using getinfo to remove the header:

getinfo - < machine2.amb >> machine1.amb

If you are concerned that one or the other ambient file may not be complete, the safer method is lookamb:

(lookamb -d machine1.amb ; lookamb -h -d machine2.amb) | lookamb -r > combined.amb

-Greg

Greg and Rob. Thanks, I will check out both tools. After sending out my e-mail, I went ahead and tried to share the ambient file just for fun. Now I've got 8 cores working on one ambient file (which is growing) and so far no errors after a few hours and many images... In the past I don't think I've been able to do this. Maybe having all cores in one machine rather than running multiple machines makes a difference!

Mark

[{--Wm. Tao & Associates, Inc.--}] This message and content is privileged, intended only for recipients named and/or addressed. If the receiver/reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination or copying of this message or its content, in part or in whole, is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by Reply email, and Delete the original message and attachments.