Announcement: radzilla0.5 !

Ahoi all !

Long time, no hear ...

I've messed again with the Radiance-code and produced a first (still unfinished) test version of RADZILLA.

Beware, this is nothing for the faint hearted, as a lot of things are currently in progress, experimental, not
implemented yet, whatever. Despite this, this current test version is already quite useful especially for visualization projects..

So all you Indiana Jones's of raytracing: check out

http://www.cb-d.de/radzilla2.html

be prepared for everything and have FUN!

Carsten Bauer

What can I say besides, "Wow!" This is very exciting. I'm glad that you felt inspired to work on this, as this seems like a whole new direction and potential for our little community. I encourage people to try it out, do comparisons, validations, etc. I've thought many times of rewriting Radiance over the years, and never managed to find the funds or free time even to begin. Thanks, Carsten!!

-Greg

"Lookout! RADZILLA is coming!"

···

Date: April 12, 2004 8:33:05 AM PDT

Ahoi all !

Long time, no hear ...

I've messed again with the Radiance-code and produced a first (still unfinished) test version of RADZILLA.

Beware, this is nothing for the faint hearted, as a lot of things are currently in progress, experimental, not
implemented yet, whatever. Despite this, this current test version is already quite useful especially for visualization projects..

So all you Indiana Jones's of raytracing: check out

http://www.cb-d.de/radzilla2.html

be prepared for everything and have FUN!

Carsten Bauer

Carsten Bauer wrote:

Long time, no hear ...

Good to hear from ya again, Carsten!

I read through the release notes, and I have an announcement:
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. And AFAIK, Roland (whom you also refer to as late & great) is great, but definitely not late. =8-)

I played with RADZILLA briefly during lunch here. Some notes:
1. Your source code compiled just fine on Fedora Core 1.
2. How do I specify a .rif file with radz?
3. Getinfo likes radzilla octrees, but the model-viewing-utility-formerly-named-rview does not. I guess that's because getinfo is simply a header reader, whereas rview is dealing with the octree more intimately. Any plans to make an rzrvu? Will you paint my house when you're done re-writing Radiance?

Keep up the good work! Interesting stuff, Carsten. This is such a fun group.

···

----

Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org

Hi Rob

I read through the release notes, and I have an announcement:
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. And AFAIK, Roland (whom you also refer to as late & great) is great, but definitely not late. =8-)

This one is fixed now !! Learning English on the fly... thanx for the corrections!!!

I played with RADZILLA briefly during lunch here. Some notes:
1. Your source code compiled just fine on Fedora Core 1.
2. How do I specify a .rif file with radz?
3. Getinfo likes radzilla octrees, but the model-viewing-utility-formerly-named-rview does not. I guess that's because getinfo is simply a header reader, whereas rview is dealing with the octree more intimately. Any plans to make an rzrvu? Will you paint my house when you're done re-writing Radiance?

radz can be handled like rad (except the mandatory executable name), so type
radz -x rzpict 'riffilename' with 'riffilename' being a normal RADIANCE .rif file

Concerning further stuff (rzrvu): It should be rather straightforward to convert e.g. rvu to deal with
RADZILLA octrees as well, once the general framework is established. So you can expect more functionality coming soon.

Just a quick note: I'm currently on a one weeks holiday, so this certainly means some delay on my side for answering questions etc. But I'll be back working on the stuff next week...

And concering your house: It depends what kind of artwork you want your house to be after I'm finished with it ..:slight_smile:

-Carsten