About Installing Radiance on Ubuntu

Hi all,
I tried several times to install radiance on Ubuntu but seems it was not successful as I could not run the commands in the terminal directory. I downloaded radiance from its website and copied the extracted file in usr/local path.
Every time, I get an error that “package Radiance has no installation candidate”.
Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

Best,
Masoome

What is the name of the extracted file, exactly?

Radiance is a suite of programs, so whatever you are extracting should be a
bunch of executables (which in Ubuntu do not have the .exe extension)

They need to be located in a directory that is part of your Path. You can
check these directories by writing “echo $PATH” in your terminal. You will
get a list of directories separated by “:” . You have to either put the
executables in one of those directories, or add the Radiance directory to
the Path (there are a bunch of tutorials on how to add things to path in
Ubuntu… they will be clearer than me, probably)

To test if this is working, y usually write “oconv” on the terminal… you
should get about 8 lines of text instead of an error saying that such
program does not exist

I hope this helps

Germán

Hi masoome!

Usually, if a command is not found, bash (I assume) would give a message along the lines of foo: command not found.

Your message of package Radiance has no installation candidate suggests that you are typing in some other command, perhaps something like apt-get install Radiance at a guess.

As @German_Molina says, there is no command called Radiance, as Radiance is a whole suite of applications, try one of them, such as oconv, and see if it works. You can see a list of the programs that Radiance provides here.

If it doesn’t, can you please show exactly where you have copied the Radiance files, and show what the value of echo $PATH is, and check that your path includes the location of where you have extracted the Radiance binaries?

Thanks for your help.
I made a new path for radiance and now it works.

Best
Masoome