A question about Animations, and about the Book that will solve all my troubles...

Hello all,

I've been learning Radiance over the last year or so, primarily running it within Cygwin, rendering models exported from Revit or generated by hand.

Now that I've gotten to where I can produce OK renderings (need to learn more complex materials), I would like to try making a simple animation to learn how. From reading the wonderful post I found in the archive from Greg Ward about making animation paths, I'm almost there, however I'm missing something and getting an error because of it.

I've generated the key.vf file with multiple viewpoints set for my animation path, along with a -t following each one for the amount of time I want between each point along the path. I've generated the key.fmt file. However, when I run the command to extract the information path, all I get in the key.cal file is:

Px(x):select(1,);
Py(x):select(1,);
Pz(x):select(1,);
Dx(x):select(1,);
Dy(x):select(1,);
Dz(x):select(1,);
H(x):select(1,);
V(x):select(1,);
T(x):select(1,);

Now, it seems like this is wrong, for when I try the next step, which is to then use this key.cal along with spline.cal to generate my desired animation path, it exits with an 'unexpected character' as soon as it reaches that blank value after the '1,' it even points at the space in the error. And then my desired path file is created, but blank.

So I'm at a loss, as I've tried this several times, and I know I'm typing everything verbatim from the example in the post. Is this something that's a problem because of Cygwin? Some grammar thing? I haven't had a chance to test it on Linux yet.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be terribly appreciative. Also, I'd love to know if the 'Rendering with Radiance' book is going to be out/available anytime soon, for then it would greatly lessen my nagging questions to all of you. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,

Jeffrey McGrew

···

from my key.vf into a form that can be manipulated to make the full

Hi Jeffrey,

In fact, it's not a Cygwin problem. It's due to something missing in the key.fmt file. I forgot to add the new -vo and -va view parameters to the list, so the format string didn't match any of the views produced by rview. Here is the corrected version, which works:

rview -vtv -vp ${px} ${py} ${pz} -vd ${dx} ${dy} ${dz} -vu 0 0 1 -vh ${vh} -vv ${vv} -vo 0 -va 0 -vs 0 -vl 0 -t ${t}

I should have checked it before reposting the message -- I had the chance to correct my mistake, before!

Sorry,
-Greg

···

Date: February 10, 2004 2:29:02 PM PST

Hello all,

I've been learning Radiance over the last year or so, primarily running it within Cygwin, rendering models exported from Revit or generated by hand.

Now that I've gotten to where I can produce OK renderings (need to learn more complex materials), I would like to try making a simple animation to learn how. From reading the wonderful post I found in the archive from Greg Ward about making animation paths, I'm almost there, however I'm missing something and getting an error because of it.

I've generated the key.vf file with multiple viewpoints set for my animation path, along with a -t following each one for the amount of time I want between each point along the path. I've generated the key.fmt file. However, when I run the command to extract the information from my key.vf into a form that can be manipulated to make the full path, all I get in the key.cal file is:

Px(x):select(1,);
Py(x):select(1,);
Pz(x):select(1,);
Dx(x):select(1,);
Dy(x):select(1,);
Dz(x):select(1,);
H(x):select(1,);
V(x):select(1,);
T(x):select(1,);

Now, it seems like this is wrong, for when I try the next step, which is to then use this key.cal along with spline.cal to generate my desired animation path, it exits with an 'unexpected character' as soon as it reaches that blank value after the '1,' it even points at the space in the error. And then my desired path file is created, but blank.

So I'm at a loss, as I've tried this several times, and I know I'm typing everything verbatim from the example in the post. Is this something that's a problem because of Cygwin? Some grammar thing? I haven't had a chance to test it on Linux yet.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be terribly appreciative. Also, I'd love to know if the 'Rendering with Radiance' book is going to be out/available anytime soon, for then it would greatly lessen my nagging questions to all of you. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,

Jeffrey McGrew