triangulate radiance scene

Hi
Does anyone know how I could create a triangular mesh of a radiance scene such
as convert to .obj format or something like that?

Thanks

Tarik

···

--
Tarik Rahman
PhD student, Institue of Perception, Action and Behaviour
School of Informatics
University of Edinburgh

Hi Tarik,

Radiance offers the obj2rad converter to go from (Alias/Wavefront) .OBJ format to Radiance. However, it does so by expanding the mesh into individual triangles, which is not terribly space-efficient. If you don't apply the -f option, it also creates a texture for each triangle to produce a smoothed result if vertex normal data is included in the .OBJ file, which leads to further expansion of the model. This may not be a problem for small meshes, but it can add up to a lot of memory use for large ones.

A new alternative in the HEAD release is the obj2mesh converter, which compiles a .OBJ file into a "Radiance Triangle Mesh," a special kind of octree that may be instantiated in the scene using the new "mesh" primitive.

If you have a formula or vertex data points rather than a .OBJ file, you may use the gensurf command to convert it into Radiance polygons. The HEAD version of gensurf includes a -o option for outputting to .OBJ format, which may then be converted to an RTM using obj2mesh.

I hope this helps.
-Greg

···

Date: September 27, 2004 8:37:32 AM PDT

Hi

Thanks

Tarik
--
Tarik Rahman
PhD student, Institue of Perception, Action and Behaviour
School of Informatics
University of Edinburgh

Hi Tarik!

So do you want to "export" the scene into another 3d-format ("as convert to obj"), or do you want to have a radiance scene of triangles? If the first is the case, the only way I know is rad2mgf, mgf2inv (which will produce inventor- or vrml-files).

CU Lars.

···

--
Lars O. Grobe
[email protected]