Size of ground the plane

Hi all, I am assessning DF levels in a 4th floor of a building in an unobstructed area, so I am not considering any surrounding building just a ground plane that I modeled as a circle.Almost by chance I discovered increasing the size of my ground plane has a significant effect on my DF. Using a ground plane of 500m radius I had an average of 3.34%, if I increase it to 1000meters I get over 12%. As long as I understand, this should not have such a big effect, should it? Could I be doing something wrong? Can I do something to make sure I get reasonable values?I am running the simulation though DIVA for Rhino in Grasshopper. My radiance parameters are: -ab 7 -ad 2048 -as 1024 -ar 256 -aa 0.1. My ground plane reflectance is 0.25. Thanks in advance, Alejandro

Hi

Are you sure you have also modelled the "infinite" ground plane as a glowing source ? This has to be modelled even if you also put a large disk for the ground plane.

Raphaël

···

Envoyé : jeudi 16 octobre 2014 10:36
À : [email protected]
Objet : [Radiance-general] Size of ground the plane

Hi all,
I am assessning DF levels in a 4th floor of a building in an unobstructed area, so I am not considering any surrounding building just a ground plane that I modeled as a circle.
Almost by chance I discovered increasing the size of my ground plane has a significant effect on my DF. Using a ground plane of 500m radius I had an average of 3.34%, if I increase it to 1000meters I get over 12%. As long as I understand, this should not have such a big effect, should it? Could I be doing something wrong? Can I do something to make sure I get reasonable values?
I am running the simulation though DIVA for Rhino in Grasshopper. My radiance parameters are: -ab 7 -ad 2048 -as 1024 -ar 256 -aa 0.1. My ground plane reflectance is 0.25.
Thanks in advance,
Alejandro

Hello
Raphaël,
  by means of glowing source, I assume the reflectance is less than the normal floorForLighting Material. Should 20% as a setting for the ínfinite ground plane be fit?

Niya

-------- Оригинално писмо --------

От: Compagnon Raphaël [email protected]

Относно: Re: [Radiance-general] Size of ground the plane

До: Radiance general discussion

Изпратено на: Четвъртък, 2014, Октомври 16 12:23:07 EEST

Hi

Are you sure you have also modelled the "infinite" ground plane as a glowing source ? This has to be modelled even if you also put a large disk for the ground plane.

Raphaël

···

De : Alejandro Pacheco Diéguez [[email protected]]

Envoyé : jeudi 16 octobre 2014 10:36

À : [email protected]

Hi all,

I am assessning DF levels in a 4th floor of a building in an unobstructed area, so I am not considering any surrounding building just a ground plane that I modeled as a circle.

Almost by chance I discovered increasing the size of my ground plane has a significant effect on my DF. Using a ground plane of 500m radius I had an average of 3.34%, if I increase it to 1000meters I get over 12%. As long as I understand, this should not have such a big effect, should it? Could I be doing something wrong? Can I do something to make sure I get reasonable values?

I am running the simulation though DIVA for Rhino in Grasshopper. My radiance parameters are: -ab 7 -ad 2048 -as 1024 -ar 256 -aa 0.1. My ground plane reflectance is 0.25.

Thanks in advance,

Alejandro

Radiance-general mailing list

[email protected]

http://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-general

var m3_u = (location.protocol==‘https:’?‘https://a.abv.bg/www/delivery/ajs.php’:'http://a.abv.bg/www/delivery/ajs.php’); var m3_r = Math.floor(Math.random()*99999999999); if (!document.MAX_used) document.MAX_used = ‘,’; document.write (" ");

Hi,
Another possibility is that the larger ground plane is increasing the interpolation distance and you are getting more values from outside spilled in the calculation. You could try increasing ar or reducing aa to see if it converges. (provided that you have the infinite source, as Raphael says)
Santiago

···

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 16 October 2014 10:23
To: Radiance general discussion
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Size of ground the plane

Hi

Raphaël
De : Alejandro Pacheco Diéguez [[email protected]] Envoyé : jeudi 16 octobre 2014 10:36 À : [email protected]

Hi all,
Thanks in advance,
Alejandro

Greetings,

DIVA automatically includes the 'infinite ground' source in its calculations. I also suspect that increasing your ar setting will help stabilize your results.

Best,
Alstan

···

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 19:01:32 +0800, Santiago Torres <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,
Another possibility is that the larger ground plane is increasing the interpolation distance and you are getting more values from outside spilled in the calculation. You could try increasing ar or reducing aa to see if it converges. (provided that you have the infinite source, as Raphael says)
Santiago

Hi

Raphaël
De : Alejandro Pacheco Diéguez [[email protected]] Envoyé : jeudi 16 octobre 2014 10:36 À : [email protected]

Hi all,
Thanks in advance,
Alejandro

All the tools I'm aware of include this distant ground source automatically. Santiago is right, the issue here is your huge local ground plane and consequently relatively low -ar value. For a single story building, the rule of thumb is your ground plane plan projection should be about 5x the window head height. With that, even your current -ar of 256 should be adequate to avoid these interpolation errors.

-rob

···

On Oct 16, 2014, at 5:32 AM, J. Alstan Jakubiec <[email protected]> wrote:

Greetings,

DIVA automatically includes the 'infinite ground' source in its calculations. I also suspect that increasing your ar setting will help stabilize your results.

Best,
Alstan

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 19:01:32 +0800, Santiago Torres <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,
Santiago

Hi

Raphaël

Hi all,
Thanks in advance,
Alejandro