Results from Radiance

I use Ecotect as input for Radiance , so after I did all the sitting for Radiance ( camera, time and date, sky , etc… )
Then pressed render , I had a photo result for just twice, after that I had no image result.
Is there a solution?

Again, I think we will need more info before we can offer suggestions. Hopefully there are some Ecotect users here too.

As far as I am aware, ECOTECT was discontinued by AutoDesk in 2016 (and in fact had hardly been updated since 2011). Since it is generally considered to be obsolete, I’d advise considering a more recent implementation of Radiance (or even good ol’ command-line [now at v5.2]).

So, how can I use Radiance with anther way ? I know use it just through the
Ecotect .
Any help in download and use it ?

If you’re looking for a ‘user friendly’ tool that has Radiance ‘under the hood’, then perhaps consider LightStanza and/or DIVA-for-Rhino. I can’t comment further since I don’t have hands-on familiarity with either.

There is also honeybee (and other bugs) for both Rhino (grasshopper) and
Dynamo (revit); and there is Groundhog (with slow development at the
moment) and Su2rad for SketchUp.

…and OpenStudio, and SPOT, etc, etc, etc, etc…

Remember when it was easy to, say, buy a tube of toothpaste - there’d only be two on the shelf (fluoride and non-fluoride*). Now, you’re presented with a paralysing array of choices: This one! Mmmm, actually this other one looks better. Hey, over here there’s a newer one…

Maybe someone will - someday - write a socio-technical history of Radiance. Until then, the best way to keep this moving target in your crosshairs is to attend the Radiance Workshop. Next stop, somewhere marginally more thrilling than Loughborough!

*If you’re not sure of the difference, check out Kubrick’s ‘Dr Strangelove’.

1 Like

Hey @zuha-omran, if you would like to use Radiance directly instead of through an interface as the others have suggested, you can certainly just “download it and use it” as you say.

The tutorials page gives a very good guide on how to do this.

I have also written a basic tutorial showing how to use a mesh in a Radiance scene, as most people would simply put in a mesh instead of modeling directly in Radiance language, I believe. You can see it here:

https://thinkmoult.com/basic-rendering-tutorial-radiance.html

That’s a nice tutorial, Dion – thanks for putting that together! We should get it linked on the website. Or maybe there’s a suitable place to put such links on Discourse…

Thanks @Greg_Ward! I have added the link to the tutorials page under the basic tutorials section.