Radiance tutorial (Was: MacosX and X11 and radiance and blender and brad)

Wow, Axel. I hadn't seen these tutorials before. They're amazing! With your permission, I'd like to add them to the list of documents on radsite, which is unfortunately down at the moment. This also dovetails with a discussion we've been having on the dev list about providing an interactive repository (or Wiki) for Radiance user documentation. I know a lot of people don't subscribe to that list, so I'll summarize:

It started as a rehash of why Radiance authorship is restricted, and if there were any decent guidelines for code modifications, which is how it got on the dev list. Then, people started suggesting things about how to set up documentation for the software, and it eventually came back to some kind of FAQ service for beginners. The general feeling is that a lot of people who might otherwise be interested in Radiance are put off by the command-line structure, the scattered documentation, and the lack of any clear place to begin (aside from the book of course). After all, not everyone wants to order a book and wait for it to be shipped to their door just to decide whether or not it's worth the effort to learn something.

The current line of reasoning is to provide a forum where more experienced users could answer beginner's questions and have their answers continually available and editable. There would also be a place for people to write essays on how they got started with Radiance, things to avoid, and things to pay attention to. How-to manuals and tutorials such as Axel's would be a perfect jumping off point for a lot of newbies, I would think. The current set of tutorials on radsite are getting a little "long in the tooth" so to speak, even if they still have a lot of useful information.

I think we're going back and forth right now trying to come up with the best way to set this up. Some people have already set up their own resource centers, and we could either link to them or take some of their content into our own organization. (See Georg Mischler's Lighting Wiki example at <http://lightingwiki.com/> as an example of what's already out there.) Probably the best way to start is to write to me if you have some materials to offer, and I'll talk with Peter A-B about setting something up at radiance-online.

Thanks,
-Greg

···

Date: January 17, 2005 8:39:24 AM PST

Johannes,

btw: is there a list like "recommended readings" for people who are
starting
to learn radiance? I would like to know, as an example, what kind of math
and physics people (really) have to know, and which books are recommended
therefor etc.
I have orderd the "The Art And Science Of Lighting Visualization" - is
everything (and more...) I (will) ask about inside this book?

Make sure you also take a look at the LEARNIX web site:
http://luminance.londonmet.ac.uk/learnix/

Under "Documentation", you´ll find our course notes from the simulation
module we teach on our masters course. We teach RADIANCE for lighting,
ESP-r for thermal simulations.

Oh, and DO give LEARNIX a spin!

Cheers

Axel