Radiance parameters for image distortion

What Radiance Parameters are needed to resolve the visual disruption (pixelation along frames) around the sidelight and transom frames? I did not have any visual issues until I added a translucent material for the sidelight. The sidelight includes a strip of translucent material to provide privacy.
The frame material is:

void plastic frame
5 0.700 0.700 0.700 0.500 0.500

The sidelight translucent portion is:

void trans trans_sidelight
7 0.990 0.990 0.990 0.000 0.000 0.424 0.810

Your plastic should not have 50% specularity, unless it’s a mirror of some sort. I would try:

void plastic frame
5 .7 .7 .7 .02 .1

Thanks, Greg. I meant for the material to be a metal, which explains why I anticipated the specularity to be so high. After lowering the value, the material started to appear more like what I would expect from a brushed aluminum frame.

On a separate note, I am analyzing this scene to determine if an individual walking down the corridor will experience glare in the form of discerning the details of an approaching individual. I am accustomed to using contrast ratio and glare metrics, like DGP, to assess glare for a workstation but this question seems fundamentally different since the goal is to be able to identify details of an oncoming person and standard contrast ratios may not apply.

I am wondering if using pcond -v with these images is a sufficient method toward qualitatively assessing whether the details of the oncoming individual can be discerned. By doing this with a range of sky conditions, hours, and months, I can start to develop a relationship between background luminance and the ability to see the face of the approaching individual which will allow me to investigate architectural mitigation strategies.

Is using pcond -v an appropriate way to simulate the human eye condition? Do you have any recommendations for this workflow?

Thanks!

Like most things vision-related, disability glare is highly variable between individuals. It depends a lot on the clarity of the viewer’s lens and cornea, which is related to age but not determined soley by it. Eyewear that isn’t perfectly clean can exacerbate this as well.

Pcond -v may give a vague idea of the effect, but the combination of lens scattering with tone-mapping can be misleading. You may be better off using pcond -v with the -l option to force a linear tone-mapping, then adjusting the resulting HDR to expose the person’s face so it’s forced into the visible midtones (neither too dark nor too light). In this way, you aren’t compounding the contrast lost due to light scattering with the contrast lost from a tone compression curve, which is what you would get with the pcond -v on its own.